FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Welcome to the Graham Slee Audio Products Owners Forum

Open to all owners plus those contemplating the purchase of a Graham Slee HiFi System Components audio product and wishing to use this forum's loaner program: join here (Rules on posting can be found here)

This website along with trade marks Graham Slee and HiFi System Components are owned by Cadman Enterprises Ltd

Thanks for the Proprii loan

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234 5>
Author
BackinBlack View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BackinBlack Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Jul 2015 at 12:45pm
My mistake, just checked the plugs are of course TRS for the Majestic and XLR for the amps.

Just listen, if it sounds good to you, enjoy it.
Fatmangolf View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Fatmangolf Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Jul 2015 at 8:50pm
Very nice - you'll be a happy man Chris. You're not alone, I had ordered my own pair of Proprius amps before the loan set went to the second person in the queue. The Majestic DAC and preamp is as wonderful and improved on various DAC's I had tried including the Metrum Octave.

Cable-wise I have short cables all my GSP hi-fi boxes on one shelf with the PSU's on the floor. I use a 0.6m Lautus R-3 unbalanced cable from GSP which is better than the DIY pair I carefully made. I have also tried and would recommend the GSP balanced TRS to XLR cable that Ian (BinB) mentioned, there's a lot to be said for his amp next to speaker approach IMO. There is a loan pair of the balanced cables if you would like to try them?

Jon

Open mind and ears whilst owning GSP Genera, Accession M, Accession MC, Elevator EXP, Solo ULDE, Proprius amps, Cusat50 cables, Lautus digital cable, Spatia cables and links, and a Majestic DAC.
Ernie View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ernie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Jul 2015 at 12:07pm
Certainly would Jon,
I'll PM you when my gear arrives. I going to try some balanced connections tonight. The DacMagic has a balanced output. See if I can hear any difference.

There are 10 kinds of people. Those who understand binary and those who don't.
Ernie View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ernie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Jul 2015 at 9:06pm
Hi Gary,
How do you find the Sonos compared to other digital devices? Do all digital feeds to the Majestic sound the same? Suppose what I'm asking is can you tell the difference between digital sources?

I only ask because I will need a new cd player (seen a little P******t one) as the one I have has no digital out (bloody Naim and their sound quality ideas). Are all ones and zeros the same despite the source?
There are 10 kinds of people. Those who understand binary and those who don't.
morris_minor View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote morris_minor Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Jul 2015 at 10:01am
Another +1 for GSP's TRS to XLR balanced (Libran).  Thumbs Up

I use a pair between Majestic and active speakers.
Bob

Majestic DAC/pre-amp
Accession MC/Enigma, Accession MM, Reflex M, Elevator EXP, Era Gold V
Solo ULDE, Novo, Lautus USB and digital, Libran balanced, CuSat50
2 x Proprius + Spatia/Spatia Links
Gary View Drop Down
Regular
Regular

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gary Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Jul 2015 at 11:29am
Erin, that's one of those questions were the answers has to contain the phrase "in my opinion".
I've used a few devices similar to the Sonos they have included Slim Devices Squeezebox and Duet, Sonos Connect in standard form and modified form (external power supply, re-clock) Cyrus streamer, Naim streamer, Raspbery Pi, and now another Sonos but with an external power supply. The Sonos always wins on it's ease of use and software. I'd rate the Sonos with external power supply on a level with the Cyrus streamer for sound quality. I'd also rate the standard Sonos, Squeezebox, Duet and Raspbery Pi as equal for sound quality and possibly all equal if they had external good power supplies. Regarding the heavily modded Sonos I had the sound quality was always DAC dependant. There were big differences between standard and modded Sonos with a MF DAC and no difference with a Rega DAC the Rega DAC sounded better but is absolutely blown away by a Majestic.
Solo ULDE, CuSat50, Spatia Links
RichW View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote RichW Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Jul 2015 at 2:42pm
Hi Ernie,
FWIW many years back, changing from the SPDIF o/p of a cheap Marantz player to a
Meridian 200 transport, feeding a 203 DAC made a big improvement to SQ.
Could the differences be down to the 'quality' of the ones & noughts from the transport -
rise time, noise etc?
Perhaps the quality of the SPDIF receiver chip in the DAC is important.
My Majestic sounds equally good fed either USB from a laptop or SPDIF from an MF M1 transport.

Majestic/Enigma, Accession MM & MC.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234 5>
  Share Topic