FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Welcome to the Graham Slee Audio Products Owners Forum

Open to all owners plus those contemplating the purchase of a Graham Slee HiFi System Components audio product and wishing to use this forum's loaner program: join here (Rules on posting can be found here)

This website along with trade marks Graham Slee and HiFi System Components are owned by Cadman Enterprises Ltd

Thanks for the Proprii loan

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 5>
Author
Ernie View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ernie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Thanks for the Proprii loan
    Posted: 27 Jul 2015 at 9:47pm
Hi All at GSP,
Just wanted to say a big thanks for the loan of the Proprius amps. Having owned an ERA V for a couple of years I knew I was going to enjoy them. I was right I absolutely love em. Straight out of the box plugged directly into the phono stage my circa 1973 lp12 sounded fantastic. Indeed plugged straight into my Sonos Connect the sound was just beguiling. I was sat down all day Saturday playing vinyl and Spotify.

Then the problem began. I wanted to see what it sounded like with my Naim 3.5 CD player and because of the connections had to go via a shunt passive preamp I've been using. Took the shine right off so got the soldering iron out and by passed the stepped attenuator. That was much better but still I was preferring the direct connected Sonos.

Next I tried connecting a DAC Magic and tried the Sonos optical out. The sound lifted again the vocals where fantastic.

While I was messing around I thought I'd try plugging in an Apple TV into the DAC and stream Spotify and 6 Music from an iPad. I'm really not a jazz fan but I was looking for differing material to play and so played Miles Davis' Kind of Blue. A cliche probably but highly enjoyable never the less. Certainly made a stark change from Slaughter and the Dogs anyway.

Led me to thinking I'd be better off with a better DAC than plugging all of my line level equipment into a passive.

So today I went a bit mental and thanks to the joy of 0% finance I've bought not only the Propripus amps but a Majestic DAC too. I haven't even heard one! Think I need to lie down and wait for the men in white coats!

So as a question do I connect the Majestic to the Proprii will a balanced connection and use a short connection to the speakers or use short Lautus and long speaker cables? To be honest I could just use 3m unbalanced Lautus and still use some short connections to the speakers. So balanced or unbalanced?

Feeling a bit light headed now!
There are 10 kinds of people. Those who understand binary and those who don't.
Graham Slee View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group
Retired

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Graham Slee Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Jul 2015 at 10:13pm
I love your signature! Wink

I've had a mixed up day too, so it might take me a while to come up with a sensible take on some good connection ideas.

Thanks for the really nice review Big smile
That none should be able to buy or sell without a smartphone and the knowledge in how to use apps
BackinBlack View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BackinBlack Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Jul 2015 at 10:37pm
Ernie, I enjoyed reading your experience of the Proprii and the inevitable conclusion. Though you haven't heard the Majestic, I have no doubt that you'll be more than pleased with it's sound and versatility.
As for the connections, my preference is for long balanced interconnects and short speaker cables, allowing the amps to be close coupled to the speakers.

Edited by BackinBlack - 27 Jul 2015 at 10:38pm
Just listen, if it sounds good to you, enjoy it.
Ernie View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ernie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Jul 2015 at 10:02am
Thanks Ian,
Which balanced cables are you using? I only seem to be able to find DJ stock equipment at about £5 a lead (though they're probably absolutely fine). Looking online "hifi" balanced cables range from £300 to £1.5K. Eye watering but from what I see no jack connections.

Also what cable have you use between the amp and speaker?
BackinBlack View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BackinBlack Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Jul 2015 at 10:46am
Hi Ernie,
My cables and amps are all DIY.
The balanced interconnects use Van Damme Starquad tour grade cable with Neutrik XLR plugs and sockets, one is 6m long the other 10m. I don't know how well these compare to GSP cables, I dare not try as I can foresee a purchase being inevitable!!
Speaker cable is Spatia single core in both speaker internal wiring and between amps and speaker.
My amps compare quite well to the Proprius, one day when funds allow, a pair of Proprius will take their place.
Just listen, if it sounds good to you, enjoy it.
Ernie View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ernie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Jul 2015 at 12:37pm
Thanks Ian, I'm not adverse to getting the soldering iron out but there's always the nag that it could be better. Bit like making tea. Truly great cups of tea are generally made for you by someone else if you follow me.
Gary View Drop Down
Regular
Regular

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gary Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Jul 2015 at 12:38pm
Ernie, I'm using a Sonos as my main source into a Majestic DAC via coax. (CuSat50 cable). My Proprius amps are connected to the Majestic via Lautus TRS-XLR cables and speakers to the amps via Spatia with Spatia links. I've always found the coax. digital output on the Sonos to sound better than optical.
Solo ULDE, CuSat50, Spatia Links
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 5>
  Share Topic