FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Welcome to the Graham Slee Audio Products Owners Forum

Open to all owners plus those contemplating the purchase of a Graham Slee HiFi System Components audio product and wishing to use this forum's loaner program: join here (Rules on posting can be found here)

This website along with trade marks Graham Slee and HiFi System Components are owned by Cadman Enterprises Ltd

PSU1 to power 24v Rega Turntable

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234 6>
Author
JamesD View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JamesD Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Jul 2015 at 12:28pm
More to the point, is changing the Rega psu to another type going to make any improvement? If so, how, and what would the psu provide to achieve this?
Aren't ears brilliant
Richardl60 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Richardl60 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Jul 2015 at 1:03pm
Improved power regulation I suspect, much in the same way it does with a phonostage or anything else James.  My TT is direct drive but from reliabel freinds with external supplies advise me a good Power supply makes a difference, hence the reason L*nn etc attracts many after market go faster Power supplies (I am not ithe L*nn camp personally) but sure the emporers clothes would have been blown off if purelt a myth by now!

Richard
Fatmangolf View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Fatmangolf Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Jul 2015 at 2:55pm
The basic Regas run off the mains AC supply via a transfomer to reduce voltage to 24 volts. Improved power regulation as Richard wrote and none of the spikes, FRI, and other distortions of the sine wave we are meant to get out of the mains. Worth remembering your cartridge will be fairly close to the motor coils and Rega don't ground the motor casing (worth considering if you're out of warranty).

The TT produces a clean 24 volt sine wave and I think my P3-24 sounds better with it than the supplied wall wart. It also allows electronic switching between 33 and 45rpm instead of taking the platter off and handling the belt.
Jon

Open mind and ears whilst owning GSP Genera, Accession M, Accession MC, Elevator EXP, Solo ULDE, Proprius amps, Cusat50 cables, Lautus digital cable, Spatia cables and links, and a Majestic DAC.
Drewan77 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Drewan77 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Jul 2015 at 3:14pm
Originally posted by Fatmangolf Fatmangolf wrote:

The basic Regas run off the mains AC supply via a transfomer to reduce voltage to 24 volts. Improved power regulation as Richard wrote and none of the spikes, FRI, and other distortions of the sine wave we are meant to get out of the mains. Worth remembering your cartridge will be fairly close to the motor coils and Rega don't ground the motor casing (worth considering if you're out of warranty).

The TT produces a clean 24 volt sine wave and I think my P3-24 sounds better with it than the supplied wall wart. It also allows electronic switching between 33 and 45rpm instead of taking the platter off and handling the belt.
I have an upgraded Planar 3 running directly from a Rega wall-wort and speed change is manual via the belt. I also have a modified RP6 running via a TT-PSU, fed by a Rega wall-wort and this has speed control as you mention.

Maybe I misunderstand your comments Jon but I get the impression that when you mention the benefits of using the 'TT' (presumably the TT-PSU) you do not link this to the incoming 24v AC from a power supply.

It is the basic wall-wort feeding 24v AC into the TT-PSU/RP6 that I want to upgrade for the reasons mentioned by Richard (much as the Rega RP10 uses a more sophisticated power supply into the TT-PSU).

The GSP PSU1 is an upgrade from the green power supply, I have a Speedbox touch with an upgraded linear power supply and now I want the same for my main turntable, possibly followed by another for the second. I have found an overseas source (& am visiting that country in 6 weeks so could avoid expensive postage) but would prefer something from GSP

I note that Graham has offered to check a couple of things & he implies this could then be possible

Edited by Drewan77 - 24 Jul 2015 at 3:24pm
Older than I once was, younger than I'll be
Andrew
Graham Slee View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group
Retired

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Graham Slee Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Jul 2015 at 3:37pm
It will be 23 volts AC from the PSU1 transformer secondary. If you want to pop over when John is back (after 5th August) and drop him a line first getting him to wire the output to the transformer secondary, then you can take it and try it. Sorry I cannot oblige personally but I'm the skeleton staff (or soon will be a skeleton at this rate) and a bit hard pressed for the next week and a half.
That none should be able to buy or sell without a smartphone and the knowledge in how to use apps
Drewan77 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Drewan77 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Jul 2015 at 3:49pm
Thanks Graham but sorry to hear of your predicament

Yes, I will do that & send John a message
Older than I once was, younger than I'll be
Andrew
Fatmangolf View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Fatmangolf Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Jul 2015 at 6:16pm
Apologies Andrew I missed your photo of the Rega 24V 380mA AC/AC adaptor. My TT PSU box is fed with the same unit and I appreciate now what you are asking. I hope the adapted PSU1 helps.

Jon

Open mind and ears whilst owning GSP Genera, Accession M, Accession MC, Elevator EXP, Solo ULDE, Proprius amps, Cusat50 cables, Lautus digital cable, Spatia cables and links, and a Majestic DAC.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234 6>
  Share Topic