FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Welcome to the Graham Slee Audio Products Owners Forum

Open to all owners plus those contemplating the purchase of a Graham Slee HiFi System Components audio product and wishing to use this forum's loaner program: join here (Rules on posting can be found here)

This website along with trade marks Graham Slee and HiFi System Components are owned by Cadman Enterprises Ltd

PSU1 to power 24v Rega Turntable

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12345 6>
Author
Fatmangolf View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Fatmangolf Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Jul 2015 at 6:24pm
I may open my TT PSU up over the weekend and look at the internal power supply circuitry. There may be scope to improve what happens to the 24V ac coming in from the wall wart. It would also be interesting to know the operating current for the motor to find out if the transformer may be limiting this.
Jon

Open mind and ears whilst owning GSP Genera, Accession M, Accession MC, Elevator EXP, Solo ULDE, Proprius amps, Cusat50 cables, Lautus digital cable, Spatia cables and links, and a Majestic DAC.
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Fatmangolf Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Jul 2015 at 5:12pm
Having opened my TT PSU up I'm not convinced the 24V transformer is the limiting factor. If I wanted to improve the TT PSU I would replace the generic 1.000uF 50V smoothing capacitors and other parts with Rubicons or something similar. I would look at the voltage regulators as well. Together that might give a cleaner, more stable DC supply to power the 2 oscillators, the logic circuitry and the output amplifier that feeds the turntable's anti-vibration circuits and motor coils.

Other ideas. Check the trim on the 'phase 33' and 'phase 45' presets to minimise vibration, there is a VE thread on how to do this. I also found that connecting a ground wire to the 24V motor casing in my P3-24 cut the hum picked up by my moving iron cartridge. Grounding the sub-platter via the bearing housing helped. I used a jubilee clip but suspect one of the RP6 braces may be metal and so is grounding this already.

Edited by Fatmangolf - 26 Jul 2015 at 7:23pm
Jon

Open mind and ears whilst owning GSP Genera, Accession M, Accession MC, Elevator EXP, Solo ULDE, Proprius amps, Cusat50 cables, Lautus digital cable, Spatia cables and links, and a Majestic DAC.
Drewan77 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Drewan77 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Jul 2015 at 5:42pm
Thanks Jon, you are probably right although beyond what I am capable of so I will see if I can try out the PSU1-AC Graham suggests and then report back. I have sent John Cadman an email

Neither of my MM cartridges produce hum on either turntable - both arms have separate earth leads to the studs on the Reflex M & Reflex Era Gold
Older than I once was, younger than I'll be
Andrew
Drewan77 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Drewan77 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Aug 2015 at 4:39pm
I talked with John Cadman today and will be picking up a prototype PSU1-AC next week to try with the Rega TT-PSU. I will report back
Andrew
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Fatmangolf Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Aug 2015 at 10:28pm
Thanks Andrew. Do you have the old grey TT PSU I have from c2010 or the new version, please?
Jon

Drewan77 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Drewan77 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Aug 2015 at 9:45am
Originally posted by Fatmangolf Fatmangolf wrote:

Thanks Andrew. Do you have the old grey TT PSU I have from c2010 or the new version, please?
It's the newer version, purchased in 2012. I will also be evaluating on a Planar 3 with the 24v motor upgrade - input directly from the PSU1-AC.

If successful, John says he can provide a toggle switch & two output leads to power both TTs independently. The Rega wall-wort output plug is exactly the same size as on the standard GSP PSU1.
Andrew
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Fatmangolf Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Aug 2015 at 8:47pm
Very good service from GSP as always. Fingers crossed for the hoped for improvement in power regulation and speed stability.

I asked in case you had the old version like my TT PSU. I considered doing a quick parts upgrade to loan to you for an AB comparison Andrew.
Jon

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12345 6>
  Share Topic