FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Welcome to the Graham Slee Audio Products Owners Forum

Open to all owners plus those contemplating the purchase of a Graham Slee HiFi System Components audio product and wishing to use this forum's loaner program: join here (Rules on posting can be found here)

This website along with trade marks Graham Slee and HiFi System Components are owned by Cadman Enterprises Ltd

Essential Classic Rock

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 12131415>
Author
kgilroy View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kgilroy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 May 2020 at 12:29pm
Originally posted by rockyboris rockyboris wrote:

A little midwest Americana, Ann Arbor's own Bob Seger and the Silver Bullet Band "Live Bullet". 2 record set that rocks. Listened to it last night with the Accession and I felt I was at the concert.

The album is well produced and the sound took me back to a time and place I'll never forget. just a great album.

mike

I must admit that I haven't listened to Bob Seger since the 70's but you have motivated me to buy one of his albums

Thanks!
Keith

Marantz TT-15S1, Maestro V2, Accession MM, Icon Audio Stereo 40 Mk lll, Wharfedale Jade 3.

Mac Mini, BitPerfect, Dynaudio Xeo2

Marantz SA-15S1, Apple TV, Cambridge CXA60, B&W DM2000, REL Sub
fluddite View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote fluddite Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Jun 2020 at 8:30pm
Originally posted by WigglyWoo WigglyWoo wrote:

I haven't scanned the full email thread so apologies if I'm repeating an earlier suggestion, but how about a bit of Kraut Rock and the 1973 classic from Faust (Faust IV)?

Definitely worth a listen if you've not heard it before... personal favourites: 'It's a bit of a pain' and 'Lauft...Heisst Das Es Lauft Oder Es Kommt Bald..Lauft'

Maybe "Krautrock" (also a track on Faust IV - albeit named with deliberate Teutonic sarcasm following the late great Ian MacDonald's unfortunate coinage in the pages of the NME) deserves its own thread? Or perhaps I'm alone in finding German "prog" music from (say) 1968-1975 much more interesting than its UK or US counterparts/contemporaries? Lauft... is wonderful - as is virtually everything from the first four Faust albums.

I'd strongly recommend Julian Cope's (ironically titled!) Krautrocksampler - see http://https://dangerousminds.net/comments/julian_copes_krautrocksampler_in_pdf_form - as a great starting point for info and recommendations on this era.
patientot View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote patientot Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Jun 2020 at 8:38pm
Originally posted by fluddite fluddite wrote:

Maybe "Krautrock" (also a track on Faust IV - albeit named with deliberate Teutonic sarcasm following the late great Ian MacDonald's unfortunate coinage in the pages of the NME) deserves its own thread? Or perhaps I'm alone in finding German "prog" music from (say) 1968-1975 much more interesting than its UK or US counterparts/contemporaries? Lauft... is wonderful - as is virtually everything from the first four Faust albums.

I'd strongly recommend Julian Cope's (ironically titled!) Krautrocksampler - see http://https://dangerousminds.net/comments/julian_copes_krautrocksampler_in_pdf_form - as a great starting point for info and recommendations on this era.

I won't pretend to be an expert in that stuff but in college I was exposed to a few big names like Can, Neu, Faust, and so on. I do like that stuff. Matter of fact I didn't really circle back around to U.S. and U.K. prog again until much later. 

Cope is an interesting character. His band Teardrop Explodes made some great albums but his own tastes were much more pop-driven than the stuff he tends to champion. 

If you want to hear a really cool proggy jazzy thing that's just as cool as any of the German bands but available in the cheapo used bins look for a copy of Santana's Caravanserai. I'm not joking. That's a monster album that people often overlook. 
SL-1200 MK7 (modified) + Reflex M + PSU-1 used with AT150-40ML, AT VM95ML, Stanton 680mkII + Ogura, and Shure M35X cartridges.
fluddite View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote fluddite Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Jun 2020 at 8:57pm
Oops - have just discovered that most of the links on that site don't work - and that the only paperback copy of Krautrocksampler currently for sale in the UK (mine is not for sale, thanks!) is on t'internet for a bonkers £538.62 (plus postage!) Ermm

So - here's a link -  http://https://rapidgator.net/file/f553cc9466ecf0c6f64e2342c3d68c1e/Krautrocksampler_(1994)_-_Julian_Cope.pdf.html to the PDF scan I did manage to download. If that doesn't work, I guess interested parties could always PM me and I can email it to them as an attachment. As Mr Cope says he's never going to republish the book, I guess he's not going to lose money over it (plus I buy all his new vinyl when it comes out anyway!) - and I can't believe that any mid-90s paperback can cost more than (say) a new Era Gold V.... Shocked

rockyboris View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rockyboris Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Jul 2020 at 5:59am
ESSENTIAL Classic Rock

Between the Buttons
Exile on Main Street
Through the Past Darkly

Tonight my speakers are smiling and so am I
GSP Majestic Enigma PSU1
GSP Proprius
GSP Accession M Enigma PSU1
GSP interconnects
Rega Planar 6. Sumiko Blackbird cart
Klipsch Heresy Mark 4
Audio Arts cables
Rel T-7 subs
Str8Wire View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Str8Wire Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Sep 2020 at 7:16pm
Don’t know if these have been mentioned:

Dire Straits  - (self titled) & Brothers in Arms
The Animals - (The Best of The Animals) will give you the best sampling
Savoy Brown - Hell Bound Train
Muddy Waters - Folk Singer
To name but a few.

lfc jon View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote lfc jon Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Sep 2020 at 7:38pm
I have both Dire Straits albums. have to get them out have not played them in a long time thanks for reminding of them
Reflex M, Solo (both with PSU-1) CuSat50, Lautus, Spatia & Spatia links cables. Ortofon Bronze.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 12131415>
  Share Topic