FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Welcome to the Graham Slee Audio Products Owners Forum

Open to all owners plus those contemplating the purchase of a Graham Slee HiFi System Components audio product and wishing to use this forum's loaner program: join here (Rules on posting can be found here)

This website along with trade marks Graham Slee and HiFi System Components are owned by Cadman Enterprises Ltd

Essential Classic Rock

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 89101112 15>
Author
miT View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote miT Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Jun 2017 at 9:37am
I enjoyed that track, thanks for sharing Graham! My journey hasn't taken me into the realms of Genesis yet. Embarrassed But which era is the best, Peter Gabriel or Phil Collins? And did the sound change drastically? I only know a few from the Collins era.

Tim
RichW View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote RichW Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Jun 2017 at 11:59am
Hi Tim,
Regarding the 'best' Genesis era, it's probably down to personal preference, but If you're keen
on the 80's albums you might be in for a little shock listening to the Gabriel era LPs. They are
very different & can take a few listens to 'get into'.
'Selling England by the pound' (how prescient!) from 1973 is often considered their best Gabriel
album & is a delight. 
'Trick of the Tail' & 'Wind & Wuthering' are the the first albums without Gabriel & are excellent
& not too dissimilar to previous albums. 
'And Then There Were Three' is much more 'commercial' but has some strong songs.
Personally, from 'Duke' onwards they lost it.

Majestic/Enigma, Accession MM & MC.
Graham Slee View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group
Retired

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Graham Slee Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Jun 2017 at 12:07pm
Originally posted by RichW RichW wrote:

Personally, from 'Duke' onwards they lost it.

Agreed.
That none should be able to buy or sell without a smartphone and the knowledge in how to use apps
Drewan77 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Drewan77 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Jun 2017 at 1:15pm
I agree too but others may flay me for adding that IMO The Lamb Lies Down belongs in the latter category - overblown & pompous (excepting Carpet Crawlers & Counting Out Time which are wonderful). 
Older than I once was, younger than I'll be
Andrew
suede View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote suede Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Jun 2017 at 1:21pm
Originally posted by Drewan77 Drewan77 wrote:

I agree too but others may flay me for adding that IMO The Lamb Lies Down belongs in the latter category - overblown & pompous (excepting Carpet Crawlers & Counting Out Time which are wonderful). 

You forgot to include The Lamia Andrew!! Wink

Edited by suede - 12 Jun 2017 at 1:26pm
Proprius, Reflex M, Solo UL, Bitzie, CuSats & Spatia
---------------------------------
Johan
suede View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote suede Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Jun 2017 at 1:31pm
Also, on a sidenote IMO Counting Out Time sounds much more like later pop era Genesis than anything else in the PG years. Even has Phil singing :)
Proprius, Reflex M, Solo UL, Bitzie, CuSats & Spatia
---------------------------------
Johan
Graham Slee View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group
Retired

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Graham Slee Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Jun 2017 at 5:49pm
I think to understand "Lamb Lies Down on Broadway" one needs to have heard "From Genesis to Revelation". After that most will probably agree even more with Andrew Wink
That none should be able to buy or sell without a smartphone and the knowledge in how to use apps
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 89101112 15>
  Share Topic