FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Welcome to the Graham Slee Audio Products Owners Forum

Open to all owners plus those contemplating the purchase of a Graham Slee HiFi System Components audio product and wishing to use this forum's loaner program: join here (Rules on posting can be found here)

This website along with trade marks Graham Slee and HiFi System Components are owned by Cadman Enterprises Ltd

Essential Classic Rock

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12345 15>
Author
miT View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote miT Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Aug 2015 at 8:55am
Hi guys,

I've been out of it recently as too much has been going on, hence I've not been here much. I've not even been enjoying music either due to being overly stressed (long story) but I'm trying to change that by getting some more albums as I desperately need to unwind and relax. While I still want more suggestions for compilations or specific albums (whichever is best), I want to talk about one of my favourite recent purchases briefly.

EC... I bought the Complete Clapton 2-disc and sadly wasn't bowled over by it, mainly due to too much 80s stuff (IMO). Overall a bit meh but the other stuff is good (solo and band). I find this true in general for 80s rock as I find it sounds too produced/polished, although some (e.g. Foreigner) sound great and meaty. Back on topic, I got his Unplugged album at the same time and cannot stop listening to it!! I hadn't heard most of the songs before but love every one! I can't remember the last time it happened (maybe in the early Muse days?) but I have listened to it often over the past few weeks and just love it. I'm now hunting for the DVD as well...

This brings me to a dilema: Did his blues stuff (Alberta, Before You Accuse Me, etc) come during his solo career or before? As his hits compilation let me down, what EC albums do I need to buy? They are hard to find on YouTube (my usual album sampling option) so I think I need to bite the bullet and buy. And in general, would most of the bands we've been discussing be best just for their 70s material?

Cheers guys.
Chris Firth View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Chris Firth Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Aug 2015 at 10:23am
With Clapton I'd suggest starting with The Yardbirds and then working your way through to Jonh Mayall's Bluesbreakers (The Beano Album), Cream, Derek & The Dominos, and finally through to his solo work.
The blues inspired EC to pick up the guitar, and it's in his singing and playing right from the beginning.

The first CD of the Complete Clapton set stars off with Cream and takes you through to the 70s, and looking at the song listing it's the disc I'd be playing most.
There's some great stuff on it.

The 80s stuff is when Phil Collins got involved (both playing drums and producing), and a lot of the drum sounds used were horrible.
It was also when Phil Collins lost any creativity he had with his drumming, which is also a part of the problem.

The two songs you mentioned (Alberta & Before You Accuse Me) are covers that he's done live for years.
I don't think he has ever done a studio version of either.

LOINER View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote LOINER Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Aug 2015 at 11:37am
Can I recommend Journeyman by Clapton a very good album and a mixture of rock and blues.
It also has the track Before You Accuse me on it and I think it is a studio recording but I cant remember 100%.Phil Collins only appears on one track Bad Love.
STUART
SOLO ULTRA LINEAR DIAMOND EDITION
LAUTUS DUAL MONO 1.5M INTERCONNECTS
GRAM AMP 2SE
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Chris Firth Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Aug 2015 at 12:01pm
Originally posted by LOINER LOINER wrote:

Can I recommend Journeyman by Clapton a very good album and a mixture of rock and blues.
It also has the track Before You Accuse me on it and I think it is a studio recording but I cant remember 100%.Phil Collins only appears on one track Bad Love.

It's been a long time since I played Journeyman, and I'd forgotten that "Before You Accuse Me" is on it.

miT View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote miT Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Aug 2015 at 1:10pm
Thanks.

Ok, so I need to prepare myself for more albums than I was expecting then...

Chris - The first disc is my favourite from that compilation too. Most 80s rock sounds generic/cheesy to me. My favourites from that decade are the ones that embrace the sound and make it epic (e.g. Huey Lewis - Power of Love) or just refuse to sound timeless (e.g. Foreigner). Anyhoo, I shall make a note to trawl through the (complete) EC back catalogue.

According to this album https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/aw/d/B00002DFPT/ref=aw_wl_ov_dp_1_7?colid=VFFJAF8O6FOZ&coliid=IAIQ282SUBUL7 , there may be a studio version in existence...

LOINER - It may be a while before I've made it to there but I will add it to my (long) list, thanks.

Getting there, one artist at a time...

Edited by miT - 13 Aug 2015 at 1:12pm
miT View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote miT Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Aug 2015 at 5:04pm
I'm just sampling some Yardbirds albums from YouTube... At what point in his career (solo or in bands) did EC start singing? As much as I love the guitar, I love hearing HIM sing the blues. 
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Chris Firth Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Aug 2015 at 6:07pm
Eric started regularly singing with Cream.
Eric joined Bonnie & Delaney following Cream, and he credits Delaney Bramlett as having taught him everthing he know's about singing.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Delaney_%26_Bonnie
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12345 15>
  Share Topic