FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Welcome to the Graham Slee Audio Products Owners Forum

Open to all owners plus those contemplating the purchase of a Graham Slee HiFi System Components audio product and wishing to use this forum's loaner program: join here (Rules on posting can be found here)

This website along with trade marks Graham Slee and HiFi System Components are owned by Cadman Enterprises Ltd

Tech details and specs: Era Gold vs Reflex M

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author
latinaudio View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote latinaudio Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Tech details and specs: Era Gold vs Reflex M
    Posted: 07 Jul 2015 at 7:13pm
Hi everybody.

I live too far (Caracas, Venezuela) to receive an unit from the loan programCry . In the past, I needed to travel to France (speakers: JM Labs), Germany (Electronics: T+A) and USA (Turntable: Project + Ortofon / cables and accesories: Audioquest, WBT) to hear and buy my rig: there are no HiFi dealers in my country (!!!)Dead
Needles to say, I use reviews and forums like this to try to imagine how a piece of equipment sounds in my system before I make a decision. One of the tools I use are the specs and tech differences between models. The First Reflex M Ultra-Linear was the 0131-358 in 2010. From then on, I understand there are more differences between the Era Gold and the Reflex M, so...

-Is the Era Gold now fitted with the Ultralinear circuit?
-Which are the most notable tech differences between them?
-How are the specs and circuit differences?
-Everybody that wrote on this forum said the Reflex M is by far a better product, so technically speaking what makes the difference?

From Graham himself: "...The unfortunate thing that valves should have proved to us by now, is that perfect specifications don't produce good sound!..." (April 21/2011)Ouch
Ok, Ok, but there are differences, no?
All kind of answers are welcome!
Thanks in advance!

"Music nourishes the spirit"
morris_minor View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote morris_minor Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Jul 2015 at 10:17am
Hi Francisco!

I have both a Reflex M and Era Gold V, so I ought to be in a perfect position to tell you how they compare. But strangely I'm not. When I bought my Reflex M I moved the EGV to my second system and though I played both, the Reflex was burning in, and therefore changing over time, and given a different system the sound was never going to be comparable.

The EGV was the first of Graham's amps to use wideband technology, since adopted in many other products, and the fact it remains in production shows that even with the Reflex M it still sells, and some folk prefer it to the Reflex M. The differences between them are going to be far less than the differences between either of them and a competing product from another manufacturer. Get an EGV with the PSU1 power supply and you have the phono amp that Stereophile's Michael Fremer still uses to this day as a reference. That shows you how good it is. 

So really, this is no answer to your question! 

I know Andrew (Drewan) has both amps - he may be able to describe the differences, and Graham might answer the technical questions.

The bottom line is that either phono amp will give you superb results - get the PSU1 to extract the most from them. As soon as you plug it in you'll stop thinking about the technicalities and just start enjoying your records. I know that's what happened to me Smile.
Bob

Majestic DAC/pre-amp
Accession MC/Enigma, Accession MM, Reflex M, Elevator EXP, Era Gold V
Solo ULDE, Novo, Lautus USB and digital, Libran balanced, CuSat50
2 x Proprius + Spatia/Spatia Links
RichW View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote RichW Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Jul 2015 at 10:49am
Hi Francisco,
I can't answer your technical questions either! but, probably like many others, I did own an
Era Gold V for many years & upgraded to a Reflex.
It's a while ago now but I heard the difference almost on power-up as a more open & slightly 'cleaner' sound with better overall definition. The same general character as the Era remained -
a foot tapping 'musical' quality (do the cynics let us use that term anymore?) that keeps you listening into the early hours.
They don't sound vastly different IMO & I'm not sure I agree with your italicised 'by far' comment.
A non-technical & subjective answer.Smile
Majestic/Enigma, Accession MM & MC.
Drewan77 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Drewan77 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Jul 2015 at 11:11am
Originally posted by morris_minor morris_minor wrote:

I know Andrew (Drewan) has both amps - he may be able to describe the differences, and Graham might answer the technical questions.

Indeed I do and they are both in the same system but with different turntables/cartridges although I had made a direct comparison on the same table when I originally upgraded to the Reflex M a couple of years ago. Both now run happily from the same PSU1

They have a very similar audio signature - a full and smooth frequency response, very clear imaging, a wide and deep soundstage (with the appropriate recording) and the trademark GSP phono stage ability to reduce & throw background surface noise, ticks and pops into a different plane to the music. Music has a nice transparency which I had never found in various other brands of phono stage

The main 'difference' I have noticed is that the Era Gold seems to have a slightly darker audio signature, without quite as much 'openness' but this is very subtle - a bit like listening to a pair of planar speakers vs a high quality closed box type. I hope it is apparent that am very happy with both phono stages

(...oh, there is one other difference - my older Era Gold has a red LED, the Reflex M is green ! Wink)
Older than I once was, younger than I'll be
Andrew
morris_minor View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote morris_minor Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Jul 2015 at 11:58am
Thanks Andrew - I knew you'd be able to help!

A point to add - comparing the technical specification of products gives no real indication of how they'll sound in practice (unless, I suppose they are at extremes). For a phono amp, the turntable cartridge combo will likely have a more noticeable impact on the sound than swapping an EGV for a Reflex M. 

I'm sure you'd be happy with either, Francisco, but the Reflex M has just that bit more of Graham's fairy dust sprinkled on it . . . Wink

Bob

Majestic DAC/pre-amp
Accession MC/Enigma, Accession MM, Reflex M, Elevator EXP, Era Gold V
Solo ULDE, Novo, Lautus USB and digital, Libran balanced, CuSat50
2 x Proprius + Spatia/Spatia Links
latinaudio View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote latinaudio Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Jul 2015 at 4:46am
Hi again!
Thanks for the kind answers!Clap
It´s very helpful to hear that ..." I heard the difference almost on power-up as a more open & slightly 'cleaner' sound with better overall definition..." (RichW on the Reflex)
Also that ..."The main 'difference' I have noticed is that the Era Gold seems to have a slightly darker audio signature, without quite as much 'openness' but this is very subtle..." (Drewan 77)
I totally agree with Morris Minor in that ..."For a phono amp, the turntable cartridge combo will likely have a more noticeable impact on the sound than swapping an EGV for a Reflex M..."
So from an subjective point of view, I understand that differences exists in favor of the Reflex (I suppose you are right RichW, not "by far" but always towards the Reflex)Handshake
So if the Reflex is an upscale model, something is happening inside the case that led to the differences, and could be expressed in signal to noise ratios, IM Distortion, overloading margins and so on.
My guest is that the ultralinear circuit is the magic recipe, maybe some more expensive or close-tolerance parts, different grounding scheme, etc., but even then this must lead to better numbers.
New comments are welcome! Approve
"Music nourishes the spirit"
Graham Slee View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group
Retired

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Graham Slee Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Jul 2015 at 8:46am
The Era Gold V was the first "ultra-linear" device in that the AD opamps had reduced open-loop gain resulting in a wider open-loop frequency response. It led to a loose bass because RIAA EQ gain was approaching the open-loop gain of the opamps. It was quite an endearing sound I liked very much. Latter versions dispensed with the AD opamps because their consistency was going down, and we were already throwing away over 30% of the chips. These were replaced with a different opamp which has FET inputs and the open loop gain is manipulated by our proprietary "ultra-linear" technique. The results are extremely close to the original and I personally can't hear any difference.

The original "Era Gold Reflex" was a tweaked Era Gold V, but the design changed after a couple of years and the name changed to Reflex M. The "ultra-linear" technique was observed to serve a flat response best, and this being RIAA had a falling response, so the opamp choice was for one that met the same gain profile. In a way this complied better with the desired loop-gain, which I wanted to be constant end to end. It is "ultra-linear" by default.

A moving coil version, the Reflex C, was introduced. This is disimilar to the M version in that the gain profile is more like the Era Gold V, but it does moving coil and suits many MC users needs.

Further work on the gain profile - to get it to a constant end to end - resulted in the NPS invention (new phono stage - soon to be launched). However, because we're at the limits of signal to noise, like the Reflexes, moving coil cannot be given the same treatment, so it will only be of interest to high quality MM, high output MC and high output MI cartridge users.
That none should be able to buy or sell without a smartphone and the knowledge in how to use apps
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
  Share Topic