New Posts New Posts RSS Feed - Technics SL-1200/SL-1210... Who uses one (or two?)
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Welcome to the Graham Slee Audio Products Owners Forum

Open to all owners plus those contemplating the purchase of a Graham Slee HiFi System Components audio product and wishing to use this forum's loaner program: join here (Rules on posting can be found here)

This website along with trade marks Graham Slee and HiFi System Components are owned by Cadman Enterprises Ltd

Technics SL-1200/SL-1210... Who uses one (or two?)

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 34353637>
Author
BAK View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BAK Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Mar 2022 at 12:17pm
Originally posted by CageyH CageyH wrote:

Has anybody changed the Phono cable on an SL1200?
I want to change mine to see if a better cable will improve the sound quality.

I am thinking of using Neotech NEI-3003 Mk III COAXIAL CABLE, soldered directly to the arm PCB.
Obviously I will need to remove the arm clip, but strain relief could be provided by a cable tie through the screw holes. There is already one on the arm PCB.

Is it worth the hassle of doing it?

Is it worth the hassle of doing it? 
NO ... Not if it still sounds good and is the original cable.
Technics used very special coax cable on their TT.
My SL1600MK2 has original cables, they are just the right length and rated @ 90pF. 
Bruce
AT-14SA, Pickering XV-15, Hana EL, Technics SL-1600MK2, Lautus, Majestic DAC, Technics SH-8055 spectrum analyzer, Eminence Beta8A custom cabs; Proprius & Reflex M or C, Enjoy Life your way!
CageyH View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote CageyH Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Mar 2022 at 12:31pm
It is not the original cable. It is Mogami W2528 - 110pF/M.
I have a bit of a problem on the L/H channel, but that might be down to my Viborg RCA sockets.
I need to investigate that first.
Kevin
European loan coordinator, based near Toulouse, France.
Old skool View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Old skool Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Mar 2022 at 12:45pm
I can’t claim to have done it but I was seriously considering it. 
The oem cable looks naff & probably has zero screening.  Plugs aren’t that tight etc. 

However, I am told that unless you have hum issues then you are unlikely to hear any difference according to the hive mind that is Audiosh*te FB forum. 

I’d put the money towards a better cartridge (which I did).
These decks sound fantastic with a VM540ML or if you can stretch to it a VM760SLC.  THE BEST MM cartridge on the planet especially in a RigB body.  You need to go MC with a Hana ML to beat it.  Also a real fan of the RigB VM95/Paratrace.  Another giant killer. 

The chaps at The Audio Files make the CNC’d metal bodies for AT generators. Next levels an already great cartridge. 

Do the cables if it makes you feel better but SQ wise I doubt you’d hear it. It’ll look pretty though so I’ll probably get around to it.  Really though, if it ain’t broke don’t fix it. 

Is the pursuit High Fidelity a sign of mental illness??
I think so....
Old skool View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Old skool Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Mar 2022 at 12:48pm
Dunno what your running cartridge wise but I was seriously impressed with the baby AT91 (or Rega Carbon for 3 times the price).  Put it in a RigB body with a decent stylus & it flys! 
Under £100!
I think so....
Old skool View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Old skool Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Mar 2022 at 12:51pm
So you have already upgraded the RCA lead & it made it worse?
I think so....
CageyH View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote CageyH Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Mar 2022 at 2:51pm
The arm is a Funk Firm FX1200. It has always had this lead on it. I am just wondering if I can get a better lead. It is about the last thing left to do on my SL1200. If it is no better, I can change it back.

I have fitted an upgraded bearing, platter, feet and arm and an external PSU. It performs very well, but I am looking to squeeze the last bit of performance from ut.

As for cartridges I have some modified AT95 (Shibata and ML).
I also have an AT150MLx, an AT20SS, a Technics EPC-U205 with Jico SAS sapphire and boron cantilevers, a Cartridge Man  Musicmaker Classic, an SAE1000LT, an AT33PTG/II and a Dynavector DV-XX2 MkII, so I think I have the cartridge side of things covered. Wink

Edited by CageyH - 26 Mar 2022 at 7:05pm
Kevin
European loan coordinator, based near Toulouse, France.
Fatmangolf View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Fatmangolf Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Mar 2022 at 4:47pm
FWIW I changed the internal and external wiring of my SL1210 and was pleased with the results back then. I sold it on. More recently I changed the external wiring on my SL-7 and liked the resulting sound.
Jon

Open mind and ears whilst owning GSP Genera, Accession M, Accession MC, Elevator EXP, Solo ULDE, Proprius amps, Cusat50 cables, Lautus digital cable, Spatia cables and links, and a Majestic DAC.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 34353637>
  Share Topic