New Posts New Posts RSS Feed - Technics SL-1200/SL-1210... Who uses one (or two?)
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Welcome to the Graham Slee Audio Products Owners Forum

Open to all owners plus those contemplating the purchase of a Graham Slee HiFi System Components audio product and wishing to use this forum's loaner program: join here (Rules on posting can be found here)

This website along with trade marks Graham Slee and HiFi System Components are owned by Cadman Enterprises Ltd

Technics SL-1200/SL-1210... Who uses one (or two?)

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 3233343536 37>
Author
chapsjon View Drop Down
Regular
Regular

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote chapsjon Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Jan 2020 at 11:14am
I use an SL-1200MK3D (Japan only model, black) with an AT-150e as my primary rig. Though I haven't heard many "audiophile" grade turntables, I am very happy with the Technics. My main point of comparison is multiple vintage turntables (Dual, Garrard, Philips, Sansui, Kenwood, Technics) and a VPI Nomad v2. I don't feel that I am missing anything in comparison and what I gain is rock solid speed with almost instant start and stop. I am stationed in Japan, and bought my first SL-1200MK3D about a year and a half ago. I was so impressed I sold the VPI and have since bought 2 more nice used MK3D's I have found. Whether I will end up selling these or keeping as spares, I am unsure. I just couldn't pass them up when I saw them at the 2nd hand shop. All are in excellent condition and looked to have not been used as DJ rigs.
chapsjon View Drop Down
Regular
Regular

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote chapsjon Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Jan 2020 at 11:17am
I should have added that what I will probably do when I return to the US is set up my main system with two turntables. I just don't have the room to do it here, so I do use a 2nd 1200MK3D in my bedroom. The 3rd is in storage in my closet. 
Doug The Snail View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Doug The Snail Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Jan 2020 at 3:11pm
I love my 1200mk2 and am currently getting the arm rewired by Kevin at KAB. It's such an amazing TT design if I every do upgrade to a better table it will be a 1200G or GR
chapsjon View Drop Down
Regular
Regular

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote chapsjon Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Jan 2021 at 1:24pm
Can you report back on improvements with tonearm rewire? I'm thinking of having Kevin rewire mine.

Thanks, Jon.
Fernando View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Fernando Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Jan 2021 at 2:23pm
I had one MK2 a few years ago, totally modified, with Timestep Power Supply, tonearm rewire with Cardas, Origin Live armboard, Michell VTA Adjustment, MC cartridge, Isokinetik foots and feets, GSP phono stage as well, after that the deck became a powerful analog sweet giant killer.
The 1210 and 1200 still a remarkable DD decks in audio history.   

Old skool View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Old skool Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Jan 2021 at 5:05pm
I’ve got a couple of 1210 mk2’s that I’ve owned from new. 
Completely standard apart from some decent Hifi cartridges. 
I went for tricked up AT VM540’s with metal bodies (custom metal bodies called RigB from a company called The Audio Files).
Micro line styli. 
 Even on a standard Technics 1210 Mk2 these sound stunning. 

I also have a heavily modified LP12. The top of the range Inspire HiFi Carbon DC LP12. 
It was the Inspire Hifi flagship LP12.
 If you go to their website and look at the L*nn LP12 section the picture is my actual deck. 
Anyway, long story short this £5k LP12 with an Ittok arm, off board PSU, DC motor etc etc gets a damn good run for its money from my bog standard Technics 1210 mk2 with a reasonably priced MM cartridge. Total Giant Killer!
My end game TT will be a Technics 1200G or SP10. 

Is the pursuit High Fidelity a sign of mental illness??
I think so....
lfc jon View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote lfc jon Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Jan 2021 at 5:37pm
Old skool
Can you still get the 1210 mk2 new?, I have always liked Technics TTs
I think the answer is going to be no
Reflex M, Solo (both with PSU-1) CuSat50, Lautus, Spatia & Spatia links cables. Ortofon Bronze.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 3233343536 37>
  Share Topic