New Posts New Posts RSS Feed - Technics SL-1200/SL-1210... Who uses one (or two?)
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Welcome to the Graham Slee Audio Products Owners Forum

Open to all owners plus those contemplating the purchase of a Graham Slee HiFi System Components audio product and wishing to use this forum's loaner program: join here (Rules on posting can be found here)

This website along with trade marks Graham Slee and HiFi System Components are owned by Cadman Enterprises Ltd

Technics SL-1200/SL-1210... Who uses one (or two?)

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 2324252627 37>
Author
morris_minor View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote morris_minor Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Jan 2018 at 7:27pm
Welcome to the world of direct drive Andrew! Wink 

I do wish Technics had moved the styling on a bit from the old 1200 series, but I guess the heritage aspect of it was too valuable to lose.

Now, if you swapped the Accession and Reflex over . . . Ermm
Bob

Majestic DAC/pre-amp
Accession MC/Enigma, Accession MM, Reflex M, Elevator EXP, Era Gold V
Solo ULDE, Novo, Lautus USB and digital, Libran balanced, CuSat50
2 x Proprius + Spatia/Spatia Links
Drewan77 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Drewan77 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Jan 2018 at 7:31pm
Thanks Bob - yes, I certainly don't need all that DJ stuff but in the flesh it does look nice. It's also unbelievably heavy, much more so than the legacy versions.

If I swapped them over, my own turntable creation would probably just crawl away and die Cry
Older than I once was, younger than I'll be
Andrew
RichW View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote RichW Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Jan 2018 at 7:54am
Great description of your Technics Andrew - thanks.
Interesting that you mention the bass performance & rock steady pitch - these aspects
often get mentioned in DD sound. I've never yet heard a DD - apart perhaps in some disco
many years ago! 
All the belt driven decks I've owned have always seemed to lack a real sense of drive & bass
solidity - never quite matching good digital in this respect. 
An audition of the 1200G is going into the diary..
Cheers.

Majestic/Enigma, Accession MM & MC.
Richardl60 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Richardl60 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Jan 2018 at 12:04pm
I do hope to move the other way DD to Belt shortly....assuming my ducks line up so to speak.

I suppose like most things the end result in many cases is down to the execution. 

Whilst I am not looking to rubbish my Luxman DD (it is very good fuss free deck and I am still looking to sell it), when comparisons were made in the early 1980's the biggest improvement in moving the particular 5 point suspended sub-chassis belt drive was in the bass; (way better than a Pink Triangle and Oracle Alexandria on loan too).  Articulation, scale, power, definition, drive, rhythm and response where the most obvious improvements when moving away from the Luxman though the rest of the presentation and frequency range was also significantly enhanced.  The one area the Luxman did excel at sonically was a relatively narrow band of music which had specific frequency drum kicks (Spandau Ballet 'True' and some Donna Summer tracks spring to mind) but otherwise not and in relative terms sounded more 'one note'.

I suppose is a FWD car better than RWD one?  Arguments can be made both ways and would suggest it will in many cases be down to the design, engineering, implementation, build and how it is used, albeit a DD should be far easier to set up, require less/no adjustments, quicker start/stop and more straight forward to use to name a few benefits.
Drewan77 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Drewan77 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Feb 2018 at 2:35pm
Update on the SL1200g:

I've resisted the urge to buy more cartridges or change anything other than a Funk Achromat which was to hand (never been a fan of rubber mats).

I already had a couple of spare headshells from an old PL12D - ADC & Stanton so I am using them for now (VMS20E & AT15O respectively). However, I felt that the 2M Black on the new Technics headshell sounded so much better than my AT150ANV on the 1200G that I needed to re-align the latter. I did that last night and I'm pleased to say that there is now very little between them (as it should be). 

I am still having a lot of 'fun' playing one side of an LP on the Technics & the other on the orange Rega - enjoying both equally but sticking with the IQ3 & Accession for the Rega. My original observations remain the same.

The old VMS20E has two styli & in spite of a lengthy retirement in the loft, these still play perfectly, not a bad sound at all & great for background listening.

Bob is correct that cartridge 'rolling' is quite addictive Wacko - I'm going to look out for a used Goldring 1000 series body so I can use one of the 1042 styli that occasionally goes on my IQ3. If anyone has one for sale or knows someone then please let me know.
Older than I once was, younger than I'll be
Andrew
Graham Slee View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group
Retired

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Graham Slee Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Feb 2018 at 2:42pm
Andrew, you've just got to give this a go: https://eu.audio-technica.com/VM530EN

Bob too? Wink

£159 is a bargain for how it sounds IMO.
That none should be able to buy or sell without a smartphone and the knowledge in how to use apps
morris_minor View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote morris_minor Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Feb 2018 at 3:23pm
My cartridge buying days are soon coming to an end as retirement looms - but I will be going out with a bang (as it were) as a ****** **** ** is ordered. (A prize to Ifor if he can fill in all the blanks LOL, as he likes a good guessing game!)

This cartridge buying addiction has to stop! Beware, Andrew, the slope gets slippier (Confused) as you go on . . .

Bob

Majestic DAC/pre-amp
Accession MC/Enigma, Accession MM, Reflex M, Elevator EXP, Era Gold V
Solo ULDE, Novo, Lautus USB and digital, Libran balanced, CuSat50
2 x Proprius + Spatia/Spatia Links
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 2324252627 37>
  Share Topic