New Posts New Posts RSS Feed - Technics SL-1200/SL-1210... Who uses one (or two?)
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Welcome to the Graham Slee Audio Products Owners Forum

Open to all owners plus those contemplating the purchase of a Graham Slee HiFi System Components audio product and wishing to use this forum's loaner program: join here (Rules on posting can be found here)

This website along with trade marks Graham Slee and HiFi System Components are owned by Cadman Enterprises Ltd

Technics SL-1200/SL-1210... Who uses one (or two?)

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234 37>
Author
Emmodd View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Emmodd Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Jan 2008 at 10:37pm
Have a word with Darren - he has a rather splendid record cleaner!
Darren/Audio Elevati View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Darren/Audio Elevati Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Jan 2008 at 12:02pm
Indeed!  Usual rates apply!! (£1 a go).

Clearaudio Smart Matrix if you're interested.  Got the 7" adapter too and use those Nagaoka-style anti static sleeves on all cleaned records. 

Thanks to Dan for a bit of a plug.  Considered Moth, Okki Nokki but Clearaudio seemed the best.  Nice bit of German engineering.  I do use the Moth Record Cleaning Fluid though as a lot cheaper than the Clearaudio stuff.

Seriously, though, this has gone down well at the record fairs we've done at the Doncaster Dome.  Some guy asked me to clean his Argentinian numbered first pressing of some Clannad rubbish - want to see my hands shake?  You bet they were!  I then had to play it for him - it sounded f amazing on Acoustic Signature turntable with the modified Origin Live arm, Herbies mat and Shelter 201 cartridge through £3k worth of Luxman amp and £4700 Gershman speakers!!!  I cleaned a Beatles double lp for one of the dealers there last week that was up for £325.  If he sold it, he'd nearly have enough to buy his own record cleaning machine!

Happy to answer any questions on the Clearaudio either here or if someone wants to start a new thread perhaps.
MrJoshua View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MrJoshua Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Jan 2008 at 10:57pm
I tell you what... I'll dig through my collection to get together my favourite tracks and I'll give you a shout :)

Thanks!
Cheers!

Josh
Darren/Audio Elevati View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Darren/Audio Elevati Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Jan 2008 at 4:52pm

Josh

Don't think I'm cleaning just one side of an album just 'cos you don't like what's on side B!!

Darren

Sol View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sol Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Jan 2008 at 6:20pm
Originally posted by MrJoshua MrJoshua wrote:

I think I could do with borrowing a vinyl cleaner from someone... I have a pretty extensive 12" single collection, but years of dragging them round parties has left them in a pretty horrible state.

But WOW, when you find a good one that hasn't been abused - just WOW - it sounds so much more alive than digital recordings (even though the music itself is digital - Figure that out!)

I've got some digitally recorded classical on vinyl! For some reason it's sounds awesome .... not worked that out!! Any ideas anyone?
Semper in excretum, nil profundum variat.
Non illigitimum carburundum!
Cuius testiculos habes, habeas cardia et cerebellum
tg [RIP] View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tg [RIP] Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Jan 2008 at 10:27pm
TBH I am not at all sure to what Mr J is referring when he says the music is digital.

WRT your observation Sol, I rather suspect that it is not so much the technology used at the recording and mastering stage as the skill and experience of the engineers at getting the most from the source and setting the recording stage, eg mic placement, gain etc.
Also, with a lot of classical music I suspect there will be less likely to be production room pressure to "make it louder" etc - in fact it often seems the case that the reverse is true and the overall volume is reduced (presumably to fit the length of the recording on the disc)
Almost certainly this would be a topic on which Graham could enlarge more knowledgeably than I.  
I would make the observation however, that DAT is, I believe, capable of recording at a higher resolution than is used on standard redbook CD.

Edited by tg - 27 Jan 2008 at 10:28pm
andy View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote andy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 May 2008 at 11:57pm
Well I have just purchased a 4 month old SL1210 MK2 in silver!!

I know that Graham has used this deck before (and i belive owns one) so i was wondering if either Graham or anyone else can come up with any modifications/tweeks that make the deck sing out loud!

I think i am the type of person that just likes playing and tweeking stuff.

So any ideas people??

Source: Rega Apollo
Amp: Graham Slee Solo with PSU1
Phono: Technics SL1210 Mk2
Headphones: AT W1000
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234 37>
  Share Topic