New Posts New Posts RSS Feed - Technics SL-1200/SL-1210... Who uses one (or two?)
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Welcome to the Graham Slee Audio Products Owners Forum

Open to all owners plus those contemplating the purchase of a Graham Slee HiFi System Components audio product and wishing to use this forum's loaner program: join here (Rules on posting can be found here)

This website along with trade marks Graham Slee and HiFi System Components are owned by Cadman Enterprises Ltd

Technics SL-1200/SL-1210... Who uses one (or two?)

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 3334353637>
Author
Old skool View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Old skool Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Jan 2021 at 5:42pm
ah, no. I meant to say that I’d had a pair of 1210mk2’s from new. 
I think new ones are Mk5’s?

Or the higher spec 1200GR or 1200G
Is the pursuit High Fidelity a sign of mental illness??
I think so....
sheepskinstu View Drop Down
Regular
Regular

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote sheepskinstu Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Jan 2021 at 5:57pm
Originally posted by lfc jon lfc jon wrote:

Old skool
Can you still get the 1210 mk2 new?, I have always liked Technics TTs
I think the answer is going to be no

Jon, Technics now manufacture the MK7 version of this turntable. http://www.technics.com/uk/products/dj-series/direct-drive-turntable-system-sl-1210mk7.html I have a MK2 that I'm happy with which you can buy from ebay etc for about £400 second hand. There's even an SL1500C version without a pitch fader. 
patientot View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote patientot Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Jan 2021 at 11:03pm
The MK2 was discontinued a long time ago.

Currently there is the Mk7, the GR, and the G. 

Also the 1500C which isn't a 1200 but a close cousin.

I have the 1200mk7. Zero regrets with my purchase. 
SL-1200 MK7 (modified) + Reflex M + PSU-1 used with AT150-40ML, AT VM95ML, Stanton 680mkII + Ogura, and Shure M35X cartridges.
less View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote less Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Feb 2021 at 9:29pm
Originally posted by less less wrote:

I have just ordered one, the SL1210MK5G.  I know this model was in limited supply but my local Panasonic shop think that they can get one.

As I want to play 78s I am going to have to invalidate my warranty almost immediately to ship the motor board to  KAB in the States for modification, unless anyone knows of someone in the UK that can do this.

I have been using, or rather not using, a secondhand Goldring 101 deck for more years than I care to think of so I am really looking forward to getting the Technics ' table.

And of course, when the 78 mod is done I shall be ready to purchase a Revelation from Graham so that I can play the 78s at their proper EQ not to mention SQ!.

While I'm waiting I can use the time to clean the box of 78s my mother-in-law has promised me this weekend!

Well, that was a long time ago!
What actually happened was that I (eventually!) swapped the bearing for a Mike New bearing, replaced the power supply with an external Timestep ps; replaced the arm with a SME 309, which as I type is fitted with a new Nagaoka MP500 cartridge. Playing Graceland and it sounds wonderful (about 15hours on the cart).
Never did get it modified to play 78s but I purchased a deck from Graham, an AT PL120 which will play the 78s.

The loss of one channel recently was,finally, tracked down to a broken cartridge wire. Many thanks to JC for all his help and patience helping me to identify the fault.

All of my amps and cables are GSP. Speakers are Mission 753 Freedoms. I am enjoying listening to my vinyl collection more than I ever have before but have asked JC to let me audition the Accession M. Watch this space!

Les

I don't do mediocrity!

Les Sutherland
Fatmangolf View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Fatmangolf Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Mar 2021 at 8:47pm
I trimmed my SL1210 mk2 down by cutting out the empty transformer cavity so I could use lower feet for more headroom under the shelf above. I have owned the turntable for ten years now and feel no shame as it was a mid-nineties deck already modified by me, taking the transformer out (great advice from Graham as always) and selling on the original tonearm. Also I had fitted a removable cover that replaced the broken Technics lid. Last week I replaced that with a Rega dustcover and Rega hinges, to keep the dust off my carefully cleaned records. Anyway...

I have been enjoying the rugged simplicity of my SL1210 with a Goldring 1042 on the Zephyr arm I fitted some years ago. It makes for enjoyable listening and is going into an Accession M which definitely adds a lot. So another vote for the classic SL1210 mk 2, a lot of desk for the money.

Edited by Fatmangolf - 18 Mar 2021 at 7:17pm
Jon

Open mind and ears whilst owning GSP Genera, Accession M, Accession MC, Elevator EXP, Solo ULDE, Proprius amps, Cusat50 cables, Lautus digital cable, Spatia cables and links, and a Majestic DAC.
Fatmangolf View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Fatmangolf Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Mar 2021 at 7:23pm
I am still enjoying my number two desk, SL1210/II as above. I used the G1012 and 1022 for about 15 years on an Ariston Q desk, so it is a familiar sound just on another arm. The low bass is slightly looser than the Hana SL on my other turntable but still very enjoyable on a wide range of LP's. I have been listening to the music of my youth, the 1970's and 1980's! With less hair and less hearing.

Jon

Open mind and ears whilst owning GSP Genera, Accession M, Accession MC, Elevator EXP, Solo ULDE, Proprius amps, Cusat50 cables, Lautus digital cable, Spatia cables and links, and a Majestic DAC.
CageyH View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote CageyH Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Mar 2022 at 9:10am
Has anybody changed the Phono cable on an SL1200?
I want to change mine to see if a better cable will improve the sound quality.

I am thinking of using Neotech NEI-3003 Mk III COAXIAL CABLE, soldered directly to the arm PCB.
Obviously I will need to remove the arm clip, but strain relief could be provided by a cable tie through the screw holes. There is already one on the arm PCB.

Is it worth the hassle of doing it?

Kevin
European loan coordinator, based near Toulouse, France.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 3334353637>
  Share Topic