FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Welcome to the Graham Slee Audio Products Owners Forum

Open to all owners plus those contemplating the purchase of a Graham Slee HiFi System Components audio product and wishing to use this forum's loaner program: join here (Rules on posting can be found here)

This website along with trade marks Graham Slee and HiFi System Components are owned by Cadman Enterprises Ltd

Proprius with a subwoofer.

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 5>
Author
Gary View Drop Down
Regular
Regular

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gary Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Proprius with a subwoofer.
    Posted: 29 May 2015 at 5:31pm
I've had a Majestic and Proprius system for a while now and would like to connect a subwoofer. The plan was to use a Dspeaker Antimode unit to manage the subwoofer this requires line level input for left and right, is it possible to use a speaker level to line level converter cable? I've seen a few about that consist of wires that connect to the speaker terminals and then to a RCA phono plug, with a resistor network in between. Has anyone used this method and if so did it have any effect on the amplifier they were connected to?

Thanks
Solo ULDE, CuSat50, Spatia Links
BAK View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BAK Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 May 2015 at 9:47pm
Graham,
 Wouldn't the "Fixed line-level stereo analogue outputs" be usable for this ?

Gary, do you need the "required line level input for left and right" to be controlled by the Majestic volume control?

Are you using balanced cables from the Majestic DAC to the Proprius amps?
If so, the fixed line level RCA jacks should be available.

Speaker level adaptation to line level is always inferior to a direct line level; poor frequency response, added distortion, limited range for level corrections.
Bruce
AT-14SA, Pickering XV-15, Hana EL, Technics SL-1600MK2, Lautus, Majestic DAC, Technics SH-8055 spectrum analyzer, Eminence Beta8A custom cabs; Proprius & Reflex M or C, Enjoy Life your way!
Gary View Drop Down
Regular
Regular

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gary Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 May 2015 at 9:59pm
The line level in to the subwoofer does need to be volume controlled. I am using balanced connections from Majestic to Proprius and a Solo ULDE is using the fixed line out.
BAK View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BAK Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 May 2015 at 5:33pm
Hi Gary,
 Are you playing music through the Proprius amps and speakers at the same time as listening to your headphones?

Maybe Graham knows if the Balanced Outputs can be "Y" connected to the Proprius and a Balanced-to-RCA converter, solid state type (a transformer type would not be good for bass response).
Otherwise, it may be best to have the fixed line level RCA jacks on your Majestic DAC converted to be controlled by the volume control. (This would of course defeat the SOLO headphone use as is.)

For situations like these, a balanced input converter unit with 1 balanced output and 1 single-ended output would work. 
It would connect the Majestic DAC balanced outputs to:
 the Proprius balanced inputs and
 the "required line level input for left and right" RCA inputs for your sub-woofer.

Balanced converters are available.

Graham, here is that balanced conversion problem again.Wink

Edited by BAK - 30 May 2015 at 5:45pm
Bruce
AT-14SA, Pickering XV-15, Hana EL, Technics SL-1600MK2, Lautus, Majestic DAC, Technics SH-8055 spectrum analyzer, Eminence Beta8A custom cabs; Proprius & Reflex M or C, Enjoy Life your way!
Gary View Drop Down
Regular
Regular

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gary Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 May 2015 at 7:47pm
I don't want to make any changes to my Majestic or add any converters in the signal path between the Majestic and Proprius, they sound very good as they are and I don't want to compromise them.
I don't see any problem in using speaker to line level converters as that's what most subwoofer manufacturers use anyway, the resistor network is part of the amplifier plate. I just wanted an okay to say the Proprius will be fine. My subwoofer has a speaker level input but uses three wires to connect (+right, +left and -left or right) this is a problem for mono block amplifiers.
BAK View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BAK Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 May 2015 at 8:08pm
Originally posted by Gary Gary wrote:

... My subwoofer has a speaker level input but uses three wires to connect (+right, +left and -left or right) this is a problem for mono block amplifiers.

This is a speaker level-to-line-input-level built into the sub-woofer "plate amplifier".
One would connect a + and - speaker wire (speaker wire only) from each channel's output to the sub-woofer "plate amplifier" input.
This should work provided the Proprius amplifiers have a common output ground, not floating (common minus connection).
Come to think of it, the same would be true for a resistor divider connected to the Proprius amplifiers' outputs... again the Proprius amplifiers would have to have a common output ground, not floating.

Only Graham can say if the minus speaker terminals on 2 Proprius amplifiers can be connected / shorted together.

Edited by BAK - 30 May 2015 at 8:11pm
Bruce
Ash View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ash Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 May 2015 at 8:48pm
Originally posted by BAK BAK wrote:

Only Graham can say if the minus speaker terminals on 2 Proprius amplifiers can be connected / shorted together.

When I drove some high impedance headphones from a pair of Proprius, I shorted the black terminal of each together as the female jack plug I used to connect the headphone has a common ground. Luckily I didn't have any trouble with doing this but in some applications, I guess it could cause problems such a ground loop hum???

Edited by Ash - 30 May 2015 at 8:48pm
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 5>
  Share Topic