FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Welcome to the Graham Slee Audio Products Owners Forum

Open to all owners plus those contemplating the purchase of a Graham Slee HiFi System Components audio product and wishing to use this forum's loaner program: join here (Rules on posting can be found here)

This website along with trade marks Graham Slee and HiFi System Components are owned by Cadman Enterprises Ltd

"You just don't get it man!"

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 78910>
Author
miT View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote miT Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Jun 2015 at 5:47pm
What post?

Thanks!!

Edited by miT - 15 Jun 2015 at 5:48pm
dillon View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dillon Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Jun 2015 at 8:08pm
As a punk in 1978 the very last thing we could endure was prog rock! Especially the Floyd and their nefarious imitators..doodle this..long doodle that. Roll on to the heady acid house days of 1988 to 1994 and we'll wouldn't ya know it the Floyd are in high fashion and always being played at my house post clubbing. I never got them in 78..but as with all things in life and growing, im happy to have had an evolution in music appreciation. Where former things less likely melt away. But not for Genesis or a good many other sub par prog rockers - thank you very much Rick Bleedin Wakeman. I accidently also happen to know ole vegetable head himself from Gong - Steve Hillage - personally. He's bonkers yes.

Now I'm one of their biggest fans! Shine on you crazy diamonds...
Nottingham Analogue Hyperspace w Space Arm & Dynavector 10x5 HOMC/GSP Revelation M/John Sampson upgraded Meridian 508.24 CDP/Sony 777ES SACD/ProAc Response D18/GSP Solo ULDE/GSP cables and ICs
miT View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote miT Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Jun 2015 at 8:30pm
While I wasn't a punk in '78 (or born for that matter), I was a fan of harder, modern rock bands (i.e. Muse, Linkin Park, some metal, etc) before my tastes matured to include the Floyd. I guess what I'm saying is we come from different generations of harder/rawer music but we've met in the middle at Pink Floyd.
dillon View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dillon Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Sep 2015 at 9:39pm
Indeed mate. Indeed.

I havent got any first issue Floyd pressings on vinyl. I do have the Mobile Fidelity Sound Labs mastered one and its my fave mastering of all. Just astounding. There is also a 2015 digital remaster from Germany which is very different to others I have heard. No details on if its official or unofficial though? I am not a fan of any of the recent digital remasters by the record company. The albums is processed to sound completely noise free etc. And loses its vitality..in other words becomes boring.

Edited by dillon - 08 Sep 2015 at 9:43pm
Nottingham Analogue Hyperspace w Space Arm & Dynavector 10x5 HOMC/GSP Revelation M/John Sampson upgraded Meridian 508.24 CDP/Sony 777ES SACD/ProAc Response D18/GSP Solo ULDE/GSP cables and ICs
DaveG View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DaveG Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Sep 2015 at 11:39pm
I've also got the Mo-Fi DSOTM, early 80's vintage I think, very thin vinyl anyway. It's noticably better than the 30th anniversary heavyweight vinyl reissue I bought about 10 years ago which sounds like the speakers are behind a curtain. I wish I still had the copy I bought on the day the album was first released. Can't remember if the label was blue or black but I somehow feel it was better than either of the copies I have now.  Probably rose tinted specs as we all know musical memory only lasts 10secs.. not 40 years!!

Incidentally I checked discogs to see if I could find an early 70's pressing. A near mint UK 1st pressing with the blue label and both posters & stickers untouched was only.................................... £2400.00 Confused
Dave

Michell Gorbe + HR PSU -> Cadenza Bronze -> SME V -> Elevator -> Accession -> Proprius -> B&W CM6 s2 | Cusat 50 & Spatia cables ->
miT View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote miT Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Sep 2015 at 8:36am
Yikes! So vinyl is becoming even more elitist then...
DaveG View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DaveG Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Sep 2015 at 11:11am
Yeah, I've never understood that "collector" mentality. How can an album that's sold between 30 & 40 million be rare? I only buy for the music, couldn't care less if it has all the stickers, posters & what not as long as the vinyl is good. In fairness a decent early 70's US copy can be had for 50 bucks down to as little as 7 dollars

Edited by DaveG - 13 Sep 2015 at 11:15am
Dave

Michell Gorbe + HR PSU -> Cadenza Bronze -> SME V -> Elevator -> Accession -> Proprius -> B&W CM6 s2 | Cusat 50 & Spatia cables ->
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 78910>
  Share Topic