FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Welcome to the Graham Slee Audio Products Owners Forum

Open to all owners plus those contemplating the purchase of a Graham Slee HiFi System Components audio product and wishing to use this forum's loaner program: join here (Rules on posting can be found here)

This website along with trade marks Graham Slee and HiFi System Components are owned by Cadman Enterprises Ltd

"You just don't get it man!"

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 678910>
Author
Graham Slee View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group
Retired

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Graham Slee Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 May 2015 at 8:49pm
No, just the same gear except it's all GSPaudio from tonearm cable end to speaker terminals (or headphone jack plug).
That none should be able to buy or sell without a smartphone and the knowledge in how to use apps
miT View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote miT Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 May 2015 at 8:56pm
I better go clean out my ears then...
Admin Group
Admin Group
Retired

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Graham Slee Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 May 2015 at 11:40pm
It could be a Yorkshire thing... it is such an economical language that an upbringing with it conditions you into understanding what people mean without hearing it in plain english (and sometimes only hearing a hint). Vocal inflection is often used to emphasize the point and if you listen very hard (I pinched that from Stairway to Heaven LOL) you can often sense a particular meaning like the silent wink on Arnold Lane... Wink

I must also admit that I'm into the words as much as the music. Song is an important thing and in history was often a way of sharing information without sounding like it - a bit like rhyme.

Try "Learning to Fly" from A Momentary Lapse of Reason and you might find a bit of Floyd innuendo, continued in "One Slip".

Still on that album, "Dogs of War" shocked many Americans who saw it as being what Pink Floyd wanted to do, when it should be obvious that they're singing it as if they're the "dogs" to show how "dogs" think and behave - an exposé.

"On The Turning Away" cements much of their earlier work and DSoTM especially. From that you will find - if you don't already - that the word dark or darkness is nothing to do with lighting conditions, and light means enlightenment. As the "prof" says at the end of DSoTM "there is no dark side of the moon really, as a matter of fact it is all dark" - neither were they referring to the moon...

Perhaps it was because I was one of those youths searching for enlightenment as part of the late 60's early 70's thing? I must add that I'm not one of those who plays records in reverse to find hidden meanings - that's a load of crap IMO - however it does sound like "satan's wood shed" if you play Zep's Stairway to Heaven backwards LOL. The real meaning however is in the normal direction of play!

And before I forget, "Lapse" is an album without Waters, so Gilmour is of the same ilk even if he isn't into doing an entire concept album - concepts are there but mixed in with tracks containing other concepts.

That none should be able to buy or sell without a smartphone and the knowledge in how to use apps
Admin Group
Admin Group
Retired

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Graham Slee Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 May 2015 at 12:00am
One more thing (two actually).

Same album ("Lapse"), listen to the track called "Sorrow" which features the lyrics "...silence that speaks so much louder than words..." which sums up a lot of what the song is about.

Musicianship is excellent and the album is worth buying just for the music. Going back to "Sorrow" last track on the LP album, listen out for Mason "calling time" on Gilmour with the biggest kick of the bass drum I've ever heard from Mason.
tg [RIP] View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tg [RIP] Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 May 2015 at 7:20am
You illustrate very well what I have found myself, that what I take from a piece of music, a book, a play or a film depends very much on what I bring to it.
Tony G
miT View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote miT Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Jun 2015 at 5:15pm
Just wanted to say a huge thank you to everyone who helped me so far. I've gone a bit quiet in this thread so I thought I'd post a little update.

I made it to The Wall but couldn't get past it (no pun intended) as it is a brutal listen and kind of turned me off (the film didn't help... ), but that could be due to needing a break, not just from the Floyd. I really want to re-listen to the others I liked so far (Atom Heart Mother to Wish You Were Here) so I will buy the remastered CDs soon so that I can listen to them on a proper system. To make it a worthy experience, I'm buying a set of HD540s from Ash and will replace my current gear with a powered Bitzie at the end of the month as the rest of it is on hold.

In the meantime I've started on ELP, The Rolling Stones, Genesis, Deep Purple, Jimi Hendrix, Dire Straits and after years of delaying, southern rock. Fitting as prog and southern were (apparently) warring for attention in the 70s.

Anyhoo, that's it from me.

Edited by miT - 15 Jun 2015 at 5:47pm
Chris Firth View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Chris Firth Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Jun 2015 at 5:40pm
You might like to amend your post Wink
http://www.wired.co.uk/news/archive/2014-03/28/copyright-reform

Edited by Chris Firth - 15 Jun 2015 at 5:40pm
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 678910>
  Share Topic