FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Welcome to the Graham Slee Audio Products Owners Forum

Open to all owners plus those contemplating the purchase of a Graham Slee HiFi System Components audio product and wishing to use this forum's loaner program: join here (Rules on posting can be found here)

This website along with trade marks Graham Slee and HiFi System Components are owned by Cadman Enterprises Ltd

"You just don't get it man!"

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234 10>
Author
BackinBlack View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BackinBlack Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 May 2015 at 7:58pm
There is no law that says you should like Pink Floyd, perhaps there should be!
They have a quite diverse catalogue and to dismiss them on the strength of one song is unfair to both you and them. Listen a little further and perhaps you will get it, if not, so be it, we'll accept that!
I can't pretend to like everything, individual artists apart, I have little time for RnB (as against the real Rhythm & Blues) or Drum and Bass as genres, but does that matter? Only to me.
Listen to what you like and enjoy it. Oh, and you really should listen to a bit more Led Zep!!
Just listen, if it sounds good to you, enjoy it.
Graham Slee View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group
Retired

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Graham Slee Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 May 2015 at 9:24pm
Pink Floyd. Intended for a particular audience IMO. Happy to be one, but understand that different age-groups won't get the message (not really intended for them). The clue comes up in the heavily Water's influenced latter works. Almost prophetic... in fact, possibly greater than almost Wink

Oh, and the Syd era? Well, there had to be a "hook".

As for the likes of Genesis, they changed over time, except that they don't think they did. I doubt Gabriel could ever tell the true story - and often didn't for the fun of it. Evolved into a charts group.
That none should be able to buy or sell without a smartphone and the knowledge in how to use apps
ICL1P View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ICL1P Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 May 2015 at 9:27pm
Originally posted by BackinBlack BackinBlack wrote:

There is no law that says you should like Pink Floyd, perhaps there should be!

And if I were the judge it would be, "Off with his head"!
Ifor
=====
Reflex M & ACCESSION M, CuSat50, Majestic DAC, a Proprius pair.
ICL1P View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ICL1P Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 May 2015 at 9:33pm
Originally posted by Graham Slee Graham Slee wrote:

Happy to be one, but understand that different age-groups won't get the message (not really intended for them).

My son (30) and daughter (27) love Pink Floyd, but they were brought up with it and without a lot of stuff that Tim's parents obviously enjoy that I wouldn't give shelf space to. Each to his own!
Ifor
=====
miT View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote miT Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 May 2015 at 11:50pm
Thanks for all the replies and suggestions so far guys. If this were any other forum, I would have been burned at the stake by now.

I think my exposure to Pink Floyd has been limited because I have been out there discovering everything else so I just haven't had the time. But as I'm about to have a system capable of doing them justice, I've given up on new "music" and my music listening has evolved to being more focussed (critical listening as opposed to background), I want to see what I've been missing out on!

Chris - I think it was Wish You Were Here. After listening to it again just now (on my phone), I can see potential...

JamesD - I hear you there. My mum used to have Phil Collins - ... But Seriously in the car all the time and I hated it when I was little but now I couldn't live without it!

BackinBlack - As mentioned earlier I have not dismissed them, just too many other bands over too great a time period to listen to as well.

Graham - We'll see as I work my way through their back catalogue.

ICL1P - Haha! And that is why I want to be educated by yourselves: too many people are closed off to "other types" of music but I refuse to conform. As you implied, maybe early exposure helps with a kick in the "right" direction?
ICL1P View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ICL1P Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 May 2015 at 6:53am
Tim, there is a similar thread running on the WHFSV forum. http://www.whathifi.com/forum/hi-fi/pink-floyd-compilation
At least I only had you beheaded as opposed to burned at the stake.
Ifor
=====
Chris Firth View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Chris Firth Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 May 2015 at 7:36am
Having become aware of the Floyd I have quite a vivid memory of the first time time I heard Wish You Were Here.

It was on release day in September 1975.
One of the older lads at school (for my first 3 years of secondary education I boarded at Kent School, Hostert, near Monchengladbach) had ordered up a copy, and I was one of a group of lads admitted into the opening and first spin of the record.
Seeing that black cellophane outer sleeve being carefully slit with a razor, and the inner sleeve being carefully removed with its precious contents, the artwork, the postcards all leading up to the record being removed from its inner sleeve and carefully placed on the record player, and the hushed anticipation as the needle was lowered into the groove.

The long fade in of Shine On You Crazy Diamond drew us all in, Gilmour's mournful guitar solo broke into the fade in, and from there we were all mesmerised.

Happy days Smile

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234 10>
  Share Topic