FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Welcome to the Graham Slee Audio Products Owners Forum

Open to all owners plus those contemplating the purchase of a Graham Slee HiFi System Components audio product and wishing to use this forum's loaner program: join here (Rules on posting can be found here)

This website along with trade marks Graham Slee and HiFi System Components are owned by Cadman Enterprises Ltd

"You just don't get it man!"

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 10>
Author
miT View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote miT Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: "You just don't get it man!"
    Posted: 18 May 2015 at 5:04pm
Hi guys,

Before we get to the problem (and explanation for why I've posted in this section), here's some background:

I'm 30 and ever since I was a baby, I've loved music. If the word audiophile comes from the ancient Greek(?) "philia" meaning "love of", then I truly am a member of that club as I love all genres of music and happily expand my horizons. I was brought up listening to my parents' collections of rock 'n' roll to pop to motown to jazz to (what I shall define as) classic rock and to this day still love them. Elvis, Michael Jackson, Stevie Wonder, Phil Collins, ELO... The list goes on and my music tastes have expanded as I have grown to be as diverse as classical to metal, drum and bass to jazz, RnB to folk, you name it, I love it.

But! To this day, I have never understood (shields raised) Pink Floyd! They come up on every inch of the web as bands to listen to so I know I must be missing something, but what? Please fellow GSPers, educate me. And can you also highlight some good songs of theirs to ease me into please? Thanks.

*retreats to safe distance*

Edited by miT - 18 May 2015 at 5:05pm
BAK View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BAK Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 May 2015 at 5:17pm
Hi Tim,
 Pink Floyd's album "Dark Side of the Moon" is a classic and I think is in a class of it's own.
The music moves you, especially if you have speakers that can reproduce the deep bass, added to the rest of the hearing/feeling frequency spectrum.

This album will test any sound system to the maximum... if you can hear the very quiet voices in the music, your system is reproducing all of the audio information.Wink Plus I love the deep bass.Smile
Bruce
AT-14SA, Pickering XV-15, Hana EL, Technics SL-1600MK2, Lautus, Majestic DAC, Technics SH-8055 spectrum analyzer, Eminence Beta8A custom cabs; Proprius & Reflex M or C, Enjoy Life your way!
Chris Firth View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Chris Firth Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 May 2015 at 5:35pm
If you have listened to them and fail to understand what the fuss is about then just accept that you don't get what it is they did.
I happen to like Pink Floyd, but I first heard them in 1974 when I was 12 years old, so you could say I grew up on them.

The first Floyd album I heard was their 1973 epic "The Dark Side Of The Moon", the album that brought them to mass market and remained in the top 100 album chart for many years http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Dark_Side_of_the_Moon
So that's where I suggest you start Smile
miT View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote miT Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 May 2015 at 5:45pm
Thanks guys. Yeah, Dark Side of the Moon is always getting mentioned.

Just to clarify I have only heard one song of theirs, partly due to having too much other music, so I haven't written them off. I just didn't know where to start. In the same way I don't get "moved" by Led Zeppelin as a whole but LOVE Kashmir, Stairway to Heaven, etc.
Drewan77 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Drewan77 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 May 2015 at 6:17pm
Tim, a few individual Pink Floyd song suggestions rather than 'prog' as such: Money from DSOTM, maybe the title track or Shine On You Crazy Diamond from Wish You Were Here, Comfortably Numb from The Wall or High Hopes from the Division Bell. From their early days but still catchy, try Arnold Layne or See Emily Play

Older than I once was, younger than I'll be
Andrew
Chris Firth View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Chris Firth Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 May 2015 at 6:17pm
Which Floyd song have you heard?

JamesD View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JamesD Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 May 2015 at 6:45pm
For what it's worth I can well appreciate why some people like Pink Floyd but it doesn't rock my boat either. It's a bit like hi-fi itself, buy the electronics and the records/CDs etc. that makes YOU enjoy the music and not just what the "majority" rave about... One of my favourite vinyl singles is "Life in a Northern Town" by the Dream Academy, as it reminds me of trips 'up north' with my family in the 80's. It's probably not everyone's thing but I don't care one iota!
Aren't ears brilliant
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 10>
  Share Topic