FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Welcome to the Graham Slee Audio Products Owners Forum

Open to all owners plus those contemplating the purchase of a Graham Slee HiFi System Components audio product and wishing to use this forum's loaner program: join here (Rules on posting can be found here)

This website along with trade marks Graham Slee and HiFi System Components are owned by Cadman Enterprises Ltd

New wave anyone?

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 34567 8>
Author
patientot View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote patientot Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Nov 2018 at 9:11pm
A few I played today that some folks here may know or like: 

Translator - Heartbeats & Triggers - early 80s U.S. post-punk guitar rock/pop. Quite dark, reminiscent of Chronic Town-era R.E.M. with less country tendencies. Reminds me of the Modern Lovers a bit at times also. Their albums after this one were all overproduced IMHO. This one still has a nice organic sound. 

Willie Nile - Self-Titled - is this new wave rock or Dylan inspired folk rock? Perhaps a little bit of both but the songs are well written and I like this album more every time I listen to it. 

Chameleons - What Does Anything Mean Basically - listening to the latest LP reissue on Blue Apple right now. I'll need some time to decide if I like this better than the old 80s Statik CD. By this time the band was drowning in digital delay effects, so the production can be a bit dated at times. Still a very good album and I have a soft spot for it because it was my intro to them. If you don't like the production check out the Peel and Radio Sessions discs for more "organic" sounding versions of these songs. 

Edited by patientot - 30 Nov 2018 at 9:12pm
_cruster View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote _cruster Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Feb 2019 at 11:34pm
Originally posted by patientot patientot wrote:

Chameleons - What Does Anything Mean Basically - listening to the latest LP reissue on Blue Apple right now. I'll need some time to decide if I like this better than the old 80s Statik CD. By this time the band was drowning in digital delay effects, so the production can be a bit dated at times. Still a very good album and I have a soft spot for it because it was my intro to them. If you don't like the production check out the Peel and Radio Sessions discs for more "organic" sounding versions of these songs. 

I came to the Chameleons quite late - partially due to when I started discovering "actual" music, and partially because I'm in the States and - for a time, at least - anything but "Strange Times" was very difficult to find here. "Script of the Bridge" is likely my favorite, with nary a clunker, but there are many great singles aside from it...when I play "In Shreds" for folks who haven't heard it, they're generally amazed by the fact that that sound came from that time and still sounds absolutely vital.
patientot View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote patientot Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Mar 2019 at 1:48am
Originally posted by _cruster _cruster wrote:

Originally posted by patientot patientot wrote:

I came to the Chameleons quite late - partially due to when I started discovering "actual" music, and partially because I'm in the States and - for a time, at least - anything but "Strange Times" was very difficult to find here. "Script of the Bridge" is likely my favorite, with nary a clunker, but there are many great singles aside from it...when I play "In Shreds" for folks who haven't heard it, they're generally amazed by the fact that that sound came from that time and still sounds absolutely vital.

I'm in the States as well and originally bought Chameleons stuff as import CD copies back in the 90s. Script is indeed a phenomenal album and probably my favorite also. One of my friends used to joke that he was going to play a couple songs off it for others and tell them they were tracks from the upcoming Interpol album - HA!

Tons of great bands from the 80s that could teach newer acts a thing or two and still sound contemporary...IMHO of course!

Edited by patientot - 05 Mar 2019 at 1:49am
patientot View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (2) Thanks(2)   Quote patientot Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 May 2019 at 12:49am

First LP by Martha & the Muffins, one of my favorite "new wave" acts of the early 80s. Any of their first four LPs are great and highly recommended if you haven't heard them. 
SL-1200 MK7 (modified) + Reflex M + PSU-1 used with AT150-40ML, AT VM95ML, Stanton 680mkII + Ogura, and Shure M35X cartridges.
Fatmangolf View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Fatmangolf Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Jun 2019 at 9:15pm
I'd second that Martha and the Muffins recommendation.

Jon

Open mind and ears whilst owning GSP Genera, Accession M, Accession MC, Elevator EXP, Solo ULDE, Proprius amps, Cusat50 cables, Lautus digital cable, Spatia cables and links, and a Majestic DAC.
PaulRS View Drop Down
Regular
Regular

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote PaulRS Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Jun 2019 at 9:49am
+1 for Martha and The Muffins
No Music, No Life!
Paul
patientot View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote patientot Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Jun 2020 at 10:07pm
Played this recently. The excellent debut LP by And Also The Trees. My copy is an early UK pressing on the Reflex label. 

SL-1200 MK7 (modified) + Reflex M + PSU-1 used with AT150-40ML, AT VM95ML, Stanton 680mkII + Ogura, and Shure M35X cartridges.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 34567 8>
  Share Topic