FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Welcome to the Graham Slee Audio Products Owners Forum

Open to all owners plus those contemplating the purchase of a Graham Slee HiFi System Components audio product and wishing to use this forum's loaner program: join here (Rules on posting can be found here)

This website along with trade marks Graham Slee and HiFi System Components are owned by Cadman Enterprises Ltd

Best punk album

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 3456>
Author
patientot View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote patientot Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Aug 2020 at 4:55pm
Originally posted by ProPhono ProPhono wrote:

Originally posted by goloba goloba wrote:

But I must confess that I am more into hardcore than punk.

Me too, I actually collect quite a bit of 80s and 90s hardcore subgenres and in particular post-hardcore. One of my absolute favorite albums is Shoulder's Touch LP. My favorite 80s bands are Gray Matter and Squirrel Bait. I also religiously collect Sunny Day Real Estate and Small Brown Bike.

Whoa. Never expected to see some of these bands mentioned on here. 

I love Gray Matter and was lucky enough to see them do a reunion set around 12-13 years ago. They sounded great and were very tight. Only downside was they didn't play more than two songs off my favorite release from them, which is Thog (I may be in the minority on this). 

Re: Shoulder, I was aware of them, I think they split up around the time I started to going to more shows in the 90s. Sadly I never managed to pick up their releases and some of them are difficult to find now. 

Sunny Day Real Estate, kind of cliche now because so many bands attempted to imitate them but their first two albums have held up over time IMHO. I saw the tour for their third album and they were great also. I thought the third album was decent at the time but may have to revisit it as I haven't heard it in years. At one point I think they started sounding like an indie rock version of Rush or something and it just wasn't my thing at all. I do like Jeremy Enigk's first solo album which I think is underrated. 

Small Brown Bike - I was at a few of their early shows and bought their demo tape and first couple 7''s. Funny story - there was a big pressing defect on all the initial copies of their second 7'' so I never got to hear those tracks properly until they were reissued on CD a bit later. I liked their early material best and only heard the album stuff here and there. They were also excellent live. 
SL-1200 MK7 (modified) + Reflex M + PSU-1 used with AT150-40ML, AT VM95ML, Stanton 680mkII + Ogura, and Shure M35X cartridges.
ProPhono View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote ProPhono Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Aug 2020 at 5:27pm
Originally posted by patientot patientot wrote:

Only downside was they didn't play more than two songs off my favorite release from them, which is Thog (I may be in the minority on this).

Love Thog! Hope it gets a new pressing soon.

Re: Shoulder, I was aware of them, I think they split up around the time I started to going to more shows in the 90s. Sadly I never managed to pick up their releases and some of them are difficult to find now.

If you get a chance to pick up a copy of the Touch LP or CD, I highly recommend it :)

Really cool regarding the stories -- unfortunately I haven't had a chance to see any of these bands live and I didn't get into punk rock until around the mid-90s.
patientot View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote patientot Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Aug 2020 at 7:24pm

If you get a chance to pick up a copy of the Touch LP or CD, I highly recommend it :)

The label (CTW) that put it out used to have a travelling distro (this was common back then - other labels had them also) and would appear at many shows I used to go to with records and CDs for sale. For some reason I never picked any of the Shoulder stuff up. Later on the label developed a shady rep and closed in the early 2000s, and by then most of their releases were very difficult to find. I still have a couple releases on the label on CD (Thoughts of Ionesco) that I repurchased years after I sold my original copies. 
SL-1200 MK7 (modified) + Reflex M + PSU-1 used with AT150-40ML, AT VM95ML, Stanton 680mkII + Ogura, and Shure M35X cartridges.
ProPhono View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ProPhono Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Aug 2020 at 8:52pm

Later on the label developed a shady rep and closed in the early 2000s, and by then most of their releases were very difficult to find. I still have a couple releases on the label on CD (Thoughts of Ionesco) that I repurchased years after I sold my original copies.

Yea it seems to be a very unfortunate issue of that time that many of the small labels weren't run properly and a lot of artists unfortunately seemed to get screwed as a result. Not that it doesn't happen with major labels either of course.
patientot View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote patientot Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Aug 2020 at 3:35pm

Yea it seems to be a very unfortunate issue of that time that many of the small labels weren't run properly and a lot of artists unfortunately seemed to get screwed as a result. Not that it doesn't happen with major labels either of course.

I didn't know the guy personally, but in a lot of situations like this what happens is the label owner is just a regular guy that has no idea how to run a business, doesn't try to get help, and ends up in over their head. I've seen this many times with a variety of small businesses, and at the end of the day, record labels are just small businesses. 

In the case of CTW, the owner got into a very public spat with two different bands on his label at two different times. One band ended up re-releasing the recording on their friend's label and went out of their way to tell folks not to buy the CTW version. This was in the mid-90s so mostly played out in zines and advertisements in distro catalogs, and so on. 

After the label closed the owner formed a MySpace marketing agency for bands - no idea what he is doing now. 
ProPhono View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ProPhono Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Aug 2020 at 6:20pm

I didn't know the guy personally, but in a lot of situations like this what happens is the label owner is just a regular guy that has no idea how to run a business, doesn't try to get help, and ends up in over their head. I've seen this many times with a variety of small businesses, and at the end of the day, record labels are just small businesses.

Yea that's more or less what I figured. It's kinda amazing to me that any labels survived from that era though, like Dischord. Really interesting to hear some of that history tho.
patientot View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote patientot Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Aug 2020 at 6:58pm

Yea that's more or less what I figured. It's kinda amazing to me that any labels survived from that era though, like Dischord. Really interesting to hear some of that history tho.

When Dischord started, it was a seat of the pants thing like any other indie label. Over time they got organized, which is why they were able to survive, not to mention having a good catalog and loyal fans. 

One problem a lot of labels got into in the 80s, 90s, and 2000s was a Production and Distribution deal through a third party distributor. Companies like Rough Trade U.S., Dutch East India, or EFA would have an arrangement with a bunch of indie labels to actual oversee manufacturing and distribution of physical releases. Gradually it became a case of robbing Peter to pay Paul for those distros to stay open, and when they collapsed a lot of labels went with them and were owed money, since the distros also took care of things like accounting and royalty payments. A huge mess. 
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 3456>
  Share Topic