FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Welcome to the Graham Slee Audio Products Owners Forum

Open to all owners plus those contemplating the purchase of a Graham Slee HiFi System Components audio product and wishing to use this forum's loaner program: join here (Rules on posting can be found here)

This website along with trade marks Graham Slee and HiFi System Components are owned by Cadman Enterprises Ltd

Jazz in the "Groove"

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12345 8>
Author
less View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote less Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Oct 2015 at 12:30pm
Originally posted by tg tg wrote:

Given this is a British forum, I am a little surprised there has been no mention yet of British artists in this genre.

My understanding was that "Dixieland"/"New Orleans"/"Traditional" jazz was quite popular in the UK in the sixties.

I recall artists such as Kenny Ball, Chris Barber, Acker Bilk, Terry Lightfoot, Ottilie Patterson, the Temperance Seven and more from that period.

I bought an LP at the Exeter record fair a couple of years back by the Dart Valley Stompers. It cost £5 and was in very good condition and well recorded. Very New Orleans!

Les
I don't do mediocrity!

Les Sutherland
jazzcatlee View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jazzcatlee Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Jan 2016 at 4:16am
Originally posted by less less wrote:

[QUOTE=tg]

Given this is a British forum, I am a little surprised there has been no mention yet of British artists in this genre.

In that case, I'll mention "Suite Sixteen the music of Victor Feldman: Big Band/Quartet/Septet." This pianist, vibraphonist, drummer, composer and arranger came to the attention of American listeners through his work with Miles and, later, with Steely Dan ("Razor Boy"). The record I have named, recorded in the mid 50's, does credit to the British jazz scene. I dig it the most.
"All the hard ways!"
BAK View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BAK Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Feb 2016 at 3:56am

When I started this topic, I wanted to give some examples of great fusion jazz.
 Good cohesive rhythm that gets you moving, "In The Groove", and smo-o-o-o-oth .
After tweaking my SL1600, I am enjoying Skywalk's album, "Silent Witness".
  I had a real hard time finding this 10 years ago and paid $50.00 for it.
 I would have paid more for it, I love it that much.

I most definitely liked the fusion jazz of yesteryear.
As I lived only 3/4 of a mile from Newport's festival field in the 50's and 60's,
 my family and I would get to hear the Newport Jazz and Folk Festivals for free by sitting on our front porch!

The Newport Jazz Festival was in Newport, Rhode Island, originally right next to Miantonomi Park.
 When my friends and I got older, we would go to the back side of Miantonomi Park and listen there.

Edited by BAK - 25 Feb 2016 at 12:33am
Bruce
AT-14SA, Pickering XV-15, Hana EL, Technics SL-1600MK2, Lautus, Majestic DAC, Technics SH-8055 spectrum analyzer, Eminence Beta8A custom cabs; Proprius & Reflex M or C, Enjoy Life your way!
BAK View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BAK Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Mar 2016 at 3:24pm
I just dug out some of my very old albums.
Covers are ratty but the vinyls are still near mint!

I had almost forgotten I had these... 40+ years old albums.

Bruce
AT-14SA, Pickering XV-15, Hana EL, Technics SL-1600MK2, Lautus, Majestic DAC, Technics SH-8055 spectrum analyzer, Eminence Beta8A custom cabs; Proprius & Reflex M or C, Enjoy Life your way!
Drewan77 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Drewan77 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Mar 2016 at 4:45pm
Very interesting covers Bruce - I don't know either of these but if the music's half as good as they look....
Older than I once was, younger than I'll be
Andrew
morris_minor View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote morris_minor Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Mar 2016 at 5:28pm
Originally posted by BAK BAK wrote:

The Newport Jazz Festival was in Newport, Rhode Island, originally right next to Miantonomi Park.
 When my friends and I got older, we would go to the back side of Miantonomi Park and listen there.
I was watching the film 'Jazz On a Summer's Day' the other week. A great documentary made at the Newport Jazz Festival - very evocative of the period . . .
Bob

Majestic DAC/pre-amp
Accession MC/Enigma, Accession MM, Reflex M, Elevator EXP, Era Gold V
Solo ULDE, Novo, Lautus USB and digital, Libran balanced, CuSat50
2 x Proprius + Spatia/Spatia Links
BAK View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BAK Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Mar 2016 at 12:28am
Originally posted by Drewan77 Drewan77 wrote:

Very interesting covers Bruce - I don't know either of these but if the music's half as good as they look....

Hi Andrew,
 Back in the day, I was always trying to get obscure and mostly "not-very-popular-but-very-good" music added to my record collection.
 "Eleventh House" was such a group... a "real tight" jazz band... the trumpeter could keep up note-for-note with the guitar and/or the piano, sometimes sounding like the same instrument, "in-sync".
They had: Larry Coryell on guitar, Alphonse Mouzon on percussion, Mike Mandel on piano & synthesizer, Danny Trifan on bass, and Randy Brecker on trumpet...

I envied trumpeters like that...
 I played trumpet until age 15... playing in junior and high school marching bands and a small group playing Herb Alpert music like "Tijuana  Brass", it was fun.

Edited by BAK - 17 Mar 2016 at 12:34am
Bruce
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12345 8>
  Share Topic