FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Welcome to the Graham Slee Audio Products Owners Forum

Open to all owners plus those contemplating the purchase of a Graham Slee HiFi System Components audio product and wishing to use this forum's loaner program: join here (Rules on posting can be found here)

This website along with trade marks Graham Slee and HiFi System Components are owned by Cadman Enterprises Ltd

Jazz in the "Groove"

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234 8>
Author
morris_minor View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote morris_minor Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Apr 2015 at 5:25pm
Originally posted by LOINER LOINER wrote:

Originally posted by morris_minor morris_minor wrote:

And as for classical file tagging! Don't get me started . . .Angry (That's a rant waiting for another thread LOL).

Have a rant Bob start a new topic and give us something else to talk about
It might be a "Nigel Pearson" type rant, but less existential Big smile !
Bob

Majestic DAC/pre-amp
Accession MC/Enigma, Accession MM, Reflex M, Elevator EXP, Era Gold V
Solo ULDE, Novo, Lautus USB and digital, Libran balanced, CuSat50
2 x Proprius + Spatia/Spatia Links
tg [RIP] View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tg [RIP] Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 May 2015 at 7:49am

Given this is a British forum, I am a little surprised there has been no mention yet of British artists in this genre.

My understanding was that "Dixieland"/"New Orleans"/"Traditional" jazz was quite popular in the UK in the sixties.

I recall artists such as Kenny Ball, Chris Barber, Acker Bilk, Terry Lightfoot, Ottilie Patterson, the Temperance Seven and more from that period.

One of my favourite recordings is Ball, Barber and Bilk live at the Royal Festival Hall, a double album on a cheapie label, but the audience and the performers are having a great time of it and it comes across.

Dire Straits "Sultans of Swing" takes a look at this period to my hearing, not that I would put them in the genre.

I seem to recall at that period the main "genre" division was trad and modern, at least as far as jazz was concerned.

Then again, as Bob infers, genres seem rather fluid and many artists crossover and mix'n'match.

Serge Gainsbourg is probably another good example of that.

Tony G
morris_minor View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote morris_minor Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 May 2015 at 10:43am
I was quite into Acker Bilk in my youth. I wished my underwhelming attempts at playing the clarinet measured up to his . . .

There was also George Chisholm, and, of course Humphrey Lyttleton.
Bob

Majestic DAC/pre-amp
Accession MC/Enigma, Accession MM, Reflex M, Elevator EXP, Era Gold V
Solo ULDE, Novo, Lautus USB and digital, Libran balanced, CuSat50
2 x Proprius + Spatia/Spatia Links
tg [RIP] View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tg [RIP] Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 May 2015 at 2:17pm

I met him after a live gig out here, he autographed a copy of his then latest LP for me.

One of the best live shows I have been to, he really seemed to love performing live and that came across.

Lost the record some years back in a flood.

C'est la vie - good memories though.

Tony G
BAK View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BAK Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 May 2015 at 4:07pm
Chuck Loeb > "The Music Inside"
The whole album is superb synchronized rhythm jazz.
Bruce
AT-14SA, Pickering XV-15, Hana EL, Technics SL-1600MK2, Lautus, Majestic DAC, Technics SH-8055 spectrum analyzer, Eminence Beta8A custom cabs; Proprius & Reflex M or C, Enjoy Life your way!
Drewan77 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Drewan77 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 May 2015 at 4:53pm
Originally posted by tg tg wrote:

I recall artists such as Kenny Ball, Chris Barber, Acker Bilk, Terry Lightfoot, Ottilie Patterson, the Temperance Seven and more from that period.

As my father is a great fan of this sort of music, my formative years were spent with most of these playing constantly on the Radiogram at home, along with The Peddlers, Johnny Dankworth, Cleo Laine, Humphrey Littleton etc. He took me to the Scotch of St James a couple of times in my youth to try and win me over to Jazz but as a rebellious early 70's youth I preferred Blues influenced Hard Rock, Prog, even the more melodic end of Punk as the decade wore on

I do have a real soft spot for the Temperence Seven though (and to an extent The Passadena Roof Orchestra) and 'borrowed' a few of their LPs from my dad when I went to University. I still enjoy them from time to time but really should remember to give them back one day!

Edited by Drewan77 - 25 May 2015 at 4:54pm
Older than I once was, younger than I'll be
Andrew
LOINER View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote LOINER Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 May 2015 at 5:01pm
Originally posted by Drewan77 Drewan77 wrote:

[QUOTE=tg]
I do have a real soft spot for the Temperence Seven

I remember them on television(possibly Top of the Pops)promoting their latest single and one of them used to sit and eat a meal which he always finished on cue and then joined in.
STUART
SOLO ULTRA LINEAR DIAMOND EDITION
LAUTUS DUAL MONO 1.5M INTERCONNECTS
GRAM AMP 2SE
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234 8>
  Share Topic