FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Welcome to the Graham Slee Audio Products Owners Forum

Open to all owners plus those contemplating the purchase of a Graham Slee HiFi System Components audio product and wishing to use this forum's loaner program: join here (Rules on posting can be found here)

This website along with trade marks Graham Slee and HiFi System Components are owned by Cadman Enterprises Ltd

Intro

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 23456 13>
Author
Graham Slee View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group
Retired

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Graham Slee Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Apr 2015 at 10:34pm
I liked Frank Zappa if he wasn't getting carried away making whooping noises with "the Mothers of Invention", in which case I'd class him as somewhere between prog rock and psychedelic.
That none should be able to buy or sell without a smartphone and the knowledge in how to use apps
BAK View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BAK Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Apr 2015 at 10:55pm
"Don't Eat That Yellow Snow"
Bruce
AT-14SA, Pickering XV-15, Hana EL, Technics SL-1600MK2, Lautus, Majestic DAC, Technics SH-8055 spectrum analyzer, Eminence Beta8A custom cabs; Proprius & Reflex M or C, Enjoy Life your way!
Graham Slee View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group
Retired

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Graham Slee Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Apr 2015 at 12:37am
Originally posted by DaveG DaveG wrote:

And now after spending my late teens & twenties denying all these bands, I've returned to them... first love syndrome I guess. Now all I have to do is recreate the record collection I lost 30 years ago Big smile

I used to get "Record Collector" magazine some years ago before the interweb, and found it a good source of getting hold of the ones I'd missed out on. Thanks to Steve (Serverbaboon) for introducing me to Discogs which seems to be the interweb equivalent. I bought a vinyl copy of Selling England by the Pound (I have it on CD but I've always wanted the vinyl album) and I'm now awaiting its arrival. I didn't go for the remaster preferring to have a decent original - I'll let you know how I get on.
That none should be able to buy or sell without a smartphone and the knowledge in how to use apps
McHolmeM View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote McHolmeM Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Apr 2015 at 8:57am
I was first introduced to Selling England by the Pound in a workmates flat down the Cowley Road in Oxford one Saturday in 1973, still the only Genesis record in my collection. First live concert was Colosseum at the time of the release of Valentyne Suite, I left with my ears ringing and they were ringing the following day too! Could have repeated the exercise in February this year as they did a few dates, all original members too excepting of course the late Dick Heckstall-Smith whose wife Barbara Thompson took his place in the band. 
Chris Firth View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Chris Firth Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Apr 2015 at 9:14am
Originally posted by LOINER LOINER wrote:

Just out of interest would you class Zappa as Prog rock or just different

As an artist he could not be pigeon holed.
He did Rock.
He did Jazz.
He did Classical.

Etc, etc etc .....

Mixed it all up frequently too.

So in response to the question, just different Smile
msphil View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote msphil Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Apr 2015 at 1:13pm
This whole thread is making me feel very old (being born in 1948). My favourite Frank Zappa was 'Hot Rats' which we used to play when I was at art college, whilst working, back in the 60s. My other favourites were Santana, and of course the Rolling Stones. I had the advantage of being deafened and having my diaphragm vibrated by the likes of Deep Purple, Jethro Tull and many others of a similar ilk at Newcastle City Hall. However, being a singer of folk music myself I also went to see The Incredible String Band, Tom Paxton, Stefan Grossman, Steeleye span, Fairport Convention, Sonny Terry and Brownie McGee etc etc etc. Which aren't featured in this thread.
'You are, through your soul not your body, a human being.'
BAK View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BAK Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Apr 2015 at 5:55pm
Where would the soundtrack to "Crocodile Dundee" fall into?
The Didgeridoo instrument is intriguing, almost mesmerizing.

Yanni has a Didgeridoo on his Tribute album, too.

These 2 are a mix of classical and jazz.
Bruce
AT-14SA, Pickering XV-15, Hana EL, Technics SL-1600MK2, Lautus, Majestic DAC, Technics SH-8055 spectrum analyzer, Eminence Beta8A custom cabs; Proprius & Reflex M or C, Enjoy Life your way!
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 23456 13>
  Share Topic