FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Welcome to the Graham Slee Audio Products Owners Forum

Open to all owners plus those contemplating the purchase of a Graham Slee HiFi System Components audio product and wishing to use this forum's loaner program: join here (Rules on posting can be found here)

This website along with trade marks Graham Slee and HiFi System Components are owned by Cadman Enterprises Ltd

Intro

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234 13>
Author
morris_minor View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote morris_minor Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Apr 2015 at 8:31am
Trying to classify music is tricky if it's done on anything other than time periods IMO. "Classical" is easy - Ars Nova, Renaissance, Baroque, Classical, Romantic, Modern, Contemporary. Jazz is a bit more complicated but splits into New Orleans/Dixie, Chicago, Swing, Bop, Be-bop, West Coast etc. But "modern popular" music genres get very fragmented. How about, for this forum - which is not, primarily, a music forum - having a "Popular" category with this 'Yes/Floyd/Genesis' area as a sub-forum, along with 'Rock' and 'Other'?

A lot of what was "rock" when released is now MOTR stuff aired on Radio 2 . . . Ermm
Bob

Majestic DAC/pre-amp
Accession MC/Enigma, Accession MM, Reflex M, Elevator EXP, Era Gold V
Solo ULDE, Novo, Lautus USB and digital, Libran balanced, CuSat50
2 x Proprius + Spatia/Spatia Links
Bi-wire View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bi-wire Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Apr 2015 at 9:05am
A few to add to the list, perhaps: 'Tull, Camel, King Crimson? All prog to a greater or lesser degree ...
Peter

Satisfied user of: Revelation M, PSU1-Enigma, Solo SRGII and lots of CuSat50
Drewan77 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Drewan77 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Apr 2015 at 10:23am
I first discovered Genesis in 1972-3, listening to someones LP in the school common room - my first prog gig was on the Selling England by the Pound tour, I think either the Rainbow or the Marquee. Every time I hear Firth Of Fifth, Suppers Ready or the Knife reminds me of that night. It seems like only yesterday

Before hearing Trespass I had never heard music that could be so powerful, almost frightening at one moment but beautiful and moving the next. Until then I had mainly listened to The Who, Zeppelin, The Doors, Deep Purple or the Stones. I felt the Gabriel/Hackett years were the best but after seeing just 3 of them at Knebworth in '78 I never attended another Genesis concert - different and often good music followed but mostly a bit too mainstream. For a time, Marillion was pretty good too

It seems that prog music is mostly British influenced or European (ie King Crimson, Caravan, Camel, Tull, PFM, Eloy etc). There weren't too many American prog bands when it started out, excepting Styx, maybe Rush and there is also one interesting Automatic Man album. As for Yes, I prefer Fragile & the Yes Album over Close To The Edge
Older than I once was, younger than I'll be
Andrew
Bi-wire View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bi-wire Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Apr 2015 at 10:53am
Originally posted by Drewan77 Drewan77 wrote:

I first discovered Genesis in 1972-3, listening to someones LP in the school common room - my first prog gig was on the Selling England by the Pound tour, I think either the Rainbow or the Marquee. Every time I hear Firth Of Fifth, Suppers Ready or the Knife reminds me of that night. It seems like only yesterday

Before hearing Trespass I had never heard music that could be so powerful, almost frightening at one moment but beautiful and moving the next. Until then I had mainly listened to The Who, Zeppelin, The Doors, Deep Purple or the Stones. I felt the Gabriel/Hackett years were the best but after seeing just 3 of them at Knebworth in '78 I never attended another Genesis concert - different and often good music followed but mostly a bit too mainstream. For a time, Marillion was pretty good too

It seems that prog music is mostly British influenced or European (ie King Crimson, Caravan, Camel, Tull, PFM, Eloy etc). There weren't too many American prog bands when it started out, excepting Styx, maybe Rush and there is also one interesting Automatic Man album. As for Yes, I prefer Fragile & the Yes Album over Close To The Edge

Yes (pun not intended), prog did seem to be a peculiarly British and, perhaps, northern-European type of music. I seem to remember some (half-)wit in the past being asked to explain what makes a prog rock band. His answer: three tons of equipment and a public school education .... Wink
Peter

Satisfied user of: Revelation M, PSU1-Enigma, Solo SRGII and lots of CuSat50
Chris Firth View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Chris Firth Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Apr 2015 at 10:56am
I was 12 when I first heard Genesis (a long time ago in the Spring of 1974), and it was "I Know What I Like (In Your Wardrobe)" on the radio that drew me in.
For me it was a fantastic time to be around and discovering the more interesting bands (Pink Floyd, Yes, Jethro Tull, Focus), as well as all the ground breaking rock bands (Deep Purple, Led Zeppelin, Uriah Heep, Black Sabbath etc).
I became aware of artists such as John Martyn, Steely Dan, and Frank Zappa.

The thing that attracted me to all of the bands and artists named was one thing - their music came from a place of artistic creativity and endeavour, and they were not driven by the need to please their respective audiences.

All the above named form a big part of my listening habits today Smile

Drewan77 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Drewan77 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Apr 2015 at 11:28am
Listening to prog in the 70’s did sometimes have a downside as well....

A girl I fancied told me that young men of this persuasion were emotionally challenged and this was a sign of sexual immaturity. Why she would not commit to a scruffy, long haired, pipe smoking (!) 20th century schizoid extolling the virtues of Giant Hogweed or Larks Tongues in Aspic, I have no idea
Older than I once was, younger than I'll be
Andrew
DaveG View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DaveG Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Apr 2015 at 1:44pm
mmm...

1st ever gig aged abt 14 (went with mates elder brother). Pink Floyd at the Rainbow with Soft Machine supporting. It was a benefit gig for Robert Wyatt & was also I believe the 1st proper outing of Dark Side... though in the programme notes it was Called "Eclipse" I think.

Around the same time was ELP, Genesis & Wishbone Ash + others at the Oval cricket ground. Was hooked on Genesis from then on. Never cared for ELP much. There was also Hawkwind at the Rainbow too I think... Space Ritual tour. +Gong several times

A Fave place was the Roundhouse in Chalk Farm every Sunday.. lost count of the number of bands I saw there. No one seemed to care I was underage either!.

And now after spending my late teens & twenties denying all these bands, I've returned to them... first love syndrome I guess. Now all I have to do is recreate the record collection I lost 30 years ago Big smile
Dave

Michell Gorbe + HR PSU -> Cadenza Bronze -> SME V -> Elevator -> Accession -> Proprius -> B&W CM6 s2 | Cusat 50 & Spatia cables ->
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234 13>
  Share Topic