FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Welcome to the Graham Slee Audio Products Owners Forum

Open to all owners plus those contemplating the purchase of a Graham Slee HiFi System Components audio product and wishing to use this forum's loaner program: join here (Rules on posting can be found here)

This website along with trade marks Graham Slee and HiFi System Components are owned by Cadman Enterprises Ltd

Intro

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 13>
Author
Graham Slee View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group
Retired

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Graham Slee Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Intro
    Posted: 28 Apr 2015 at 9:21pm
The Rock genre has numerous sub-genres that this section may look a bit biased toward one particular kind. Not wanting to upset anybody, I might just have to make this category a sub-category under the broader heading of Rock. Let me know how you'd like it and it will be actioned.

What I call "Archetypal Genesis, Floyd and Yes Generation Stuff!" encompasses a greater latitude than its title may suggest. Mainly it was a post baby boomers generation thing, an overlap from such as The Stones which appealed mostly to the real baby boomers - or older rockers if they don't mind me calling them that.

Pink Floyd had an earlier career with Syd Barrett which was largely psychedelic, of flower-power origin, but the band really rose to fame with Dark Side of the Moon, and without Barrett contained no flower power, and attracted the post baby boomer generation - those born 1955 onwards.

In general, 70's youth were finding the "Post War Dream" was more like being trapped in a nightmare, and the dark forbodings of Dark Side was something they could associate with. Escapism on the other hand, was in good supply from rock bands Genesis and Yes. Genesis more so, or perhaps it was reality more subtly stated - or possibly with a hint of sarcasm - for example: Selling England by the Pound. Yes captured the feeling of the times with lyrics like "I get up, I get down" from the evocatively named Close to the Edge album - evocative perhaps of the knife-edge like survival of the generation who'd not gotten the "spoils".

Anyway, that's my overview of "Archetypal Genesis, Floyd and Yes Generation Stuff!". There are other bands which fit the mood - I would count ELP as one, and from the USA we had Joe Walsh doing his own personal stuff before joining the MOTD/Rock band The Eagles. There are many others too, but I don't want to hog the conversation - so over to you...

That none should be able to buy or sell without a smartphone and the knowledge in how to use apps
LOINER View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote LOINER Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Apr 2015 at 10:52pm
I got into Yes when a mate sold me a cassette of theirs and I enjoyed it that much I bought the other two that were also available(in the shops) Yes & Fragile( for some reason I never did get Time and a Word).Then of course along came Close to the Edge and what a great album that was(still is)Funnily enough the only one I bought after that was Going for the One. I never bought any of their other records.Genesis I never really listened to and therefore never bought any of their records oh yes I did I bought Tresspas and then a few years later sold it and I still don't know why
STUART
SOLO ULTRA LINEAR DIAMOND EDITION
LAUTUS DUAL MONO 1.5M INTERCONNECTS
GRAM AMP 2SE
phildent View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote phildent Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Apr 2015 at 11:15pm
This could go on forever. Must not forget Tubular Bells though how you categorise it I do not know.
Roxy Music,10cc,The Moody Blues etc
What memories. Most to me are still as evocative as they were new.
A choice of Wearside or Tyneside for a night out
and back for a blast of Floyd,Yes,Oldfield and must not forget the monumental Dance on a Volcano by focus.
Oh happy days.

Phil
Chris Firth View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Chris Firth Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Apr 2015 at 11:41pm
Originally posted by phildent phildent wrote:

and must not forget the monumental Dance on a Volcano by focus.
Oh happy days.

Phil

Except that Focus never recorded a song titled Dance On A Volcano Wink
phildent View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote phildent Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Apr 2015 at 1:14am
Well spotted Chris,blame it on senility.Of course I meant Hocus Pocus.

Phil
Graham Slee View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group
Retired

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Graham Slee Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Apr 2015 at 3:34am
IMO Roxy Music and 10CC is popular music.

Mike Oldfield music is a bit folkey, and difficult to classify. Everybody has heard of Tubular Bells (with its Viv Stanshall "Intro and Outro" influenced and narrated instrumental listing). Maybe we need a genre with the title Quirky?

The Moody Blues were perhaps a bit of everything album wise: according to "I'm Just A Singer (In a Rock'n'Roll Band)", they're Rock. To a degree they're the former flower-power psychedelic type band. Then again they have a classical music side and have been classed as Symphonic Rock, especially when you consider Days of Future Passed in collaboration with the London Festrival Orchestra. Mike Pindar's A Simple Game (1968) is definitely a Pop classic, it having been covered by The Four Tops making it a UK hit in 1971. One thing that perhaps binds them to this subset is their seemingly understanding of the often related LSD drug culture in Timothy Leary's Dead (Oh no, he's on the outside looking in). Wink

I would include Focus too. Not a favourite of mine, but quite popular with the "Archetypals".

There are plenty of others I'd include in this genre of genres, but I don't want to hog the topic. I'll offer up one or three at a time giving my reasons why I think they should be here.

That none should be able to buy or sell without a smartphone and the knowledge in how to use apps
RichW View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote RichW Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Apr 2015 at 8:05am
Genesis were the first band I 'got into' as a 16 year old after listening to my sister's
'And Then There Were Three'  - so I was probably a bit late to the party...
Trick of the Tail followed & then the rest, Selling England by the Pound being one of their
very best IMO.

There was also something 'beyond the music' with Genesis,  a least for a dreamer like I was/am
& Kim Poor's paintings (Hackett's wife) , which were inspired by Genesis' songs, are a good illustration of this.

Majestic/Enigma, Accession MM & MC.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 13>
  Share Topic