FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Welcome to the Graham Slee Audio Products Owners Forum

Open to all owners plus those contemplating the purchase of a Graham Slee HiFi System Components audio product and wishing to use this forum's loaner program: join here (Rules on posting can be found here)

This website along with trade marks Graham Slee and HiFi System Components are owned by Cadman Enterprises Ltd

Essential Jazz Albums

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 23456 18>
Author
less View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote less Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Oct 2015 at 12:18pm
What is wrong with Jazz vocals?

Getz and Gilberto anyone?

Les
I don't do mediocrity!

Les Sutherland
suede View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote suede Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Oct 2015 at 3:12pm
Speaking of vocal Jazz, I must admit to being quite keen on early Sinatra (Capitol era) and I think at least one album of his should grace any collection with a Jazz section. My personal favourite being A Swingin' Affair, where I think the slightly bitter crooning and the big band swing comes together perfectly.

It doesn't sound nearly as good on CD unfortunately, but I've got a digital rip of an MFSL pressing that sounds great. I would have loved to get my hands on that issue if I still had use of my turntable.
I've already got Sinatra Sings For Only The Lonely in a mono pressing on the MFSL label and it's very nice indeed. Though that is one severely uncheery record, bordering on pitch black suicidal Ouch.

Edited by suede - 17 Oct 2015 at 11:12pm
Proprius, Reflex M, Solo UL, Bitzie, CuSats & Spatia
---------------------------------
Johan
DaveG View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DaveG Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Oct 2015 at 8:02pm
Yeah I like a bit of Frank every now & then. I have copy of  A Swingin Affair from 1957 (tax code XT), the oldest album I own by some margin. I also got 2 or 3 others that I nicked off me Dad when he got rid of his TT

Edited by DaveG - 17 Oct 2015 at 8:08pm
Dave

Michell Gorbe + HR PSU -> Cadenza Bronze -> SME V -> Elevator -> Accession -> Proprius -> B&W CM6 s2 | Cusat 50 & Spatia cables ->
suede View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote suede Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Oct 2015 at 11:25pm
I've also got an old 50s pressing of it stored away but its quite worn down in the grooves, from being played by brutal old cartridges I suspect. Going for a genuine audiophile reissue is probably easier than finding an old copy in good condition (that's good as in VG+ or better). It's sadly often the case with pre mid-60s records in my experience.
Proprius, Reflex M, Solo UL, Bitzie, CuSats & Spatia
---------------------------------
Johan
wareagle View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote wareagle Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Oct 2015 at 8:45am
Originally posted by less less wrote:

What is wrong with Jazz vocals?

Getz and Gilberto anyone?

Les

Great album.

Getz/Gilberto was my first exposure to a component stereo system and started me on my audio journey in 1968.  Had a summer job delivering furniture and a customer had this album playing on a system that included a Hafler  amp and preamp, AR-3a speakers and a Thorens turntable.  It was the most amazing sound I had ever heard.  My listening reference at that time was my parents console stereo, and this just blew it away.

Saving up for a system while making $1.35/hour took quite a while, but I eventually got there.  The first album I bought was Marty Robbins Gunfighter Ballads & Trail songs and the second was Getz/Gilberto.  Still play both of them often.
Sturgus View Drop Down
Regular
Regular

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sturgus Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 Dec 2015 at 4:03am
Originally posted by suede suede wrote:

Speaking of vocal Jazz, I must admit to being quite keen on early Sinatra (Capitol era) and I think at least one album of his should grace any collection with a Jazz section. My personal favourite being A Swingin' Affair, where I think the slightly bitter crooning and the big band swing comes together perfectly.

It doesn't sound nearly as good on CD unfortunately, but I've got a digital rip of an MFSL pressing that sounds great. I would have loved to get my hands on that issue if I still had use of my turntable.
I've already got Sinatra Sings For Only The Lonely in a mono pressing on the MFSL label and it's very nice indeed. Though that is one severely uncheery record, bordering on pitch black suicidal Ouch.

I love Only The Lonely great recording. I bet the mono is great. My all time fav is Sinatra/Jobim.
Sturgus
Musical Design pre/Dac/Phono Amps Aronov
VPI HW-19 Lustre 801 /Koetsu-Rosewood /GS Elevator/Accension / LP12 Audiomods-Nagoka500 Merlin VSM speakers Dalhquist subs
Pioneer pd-75/ squeezebox
Drewan77 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Drewan77 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 Dec 2015 at 4:42pm
I can highly recommend this - as well as the quality of music on offer, this is also a very good 'audiophile' recording

Older than I once was, younger than I'll be
Andrew
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 23456 18>
  Share Topic