FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Welcome to the Graham Slee Audio Products Owners Forum

Open to all owners plus those contemplating the purchase of a Graham Slee HiFi System Components audio product and wishing to use this forum's loaner program: join here (Rules on posting can be found here)

This website along with trade marks Graham Slee and HiFi System Components are owned by Cadman Enterprises Ltd

Essential Jazz Albums

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 1112131415 18>
Author
fluddite View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote fluddite Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Jun 2020 at 9:36pm
Originally posted by patientot patientot wrote:

That Oliver Nelson album is a monster. Kinda wish I would've grabbed the AP 45 reissue of that back when it was still easily available. I do have it on CD at least. 

Isn't it just? Thumbs Up Stolen Moments is a killer opener, of course (as MM rightly says) - but the whole thing is terrific. Alas, More Blues and the Abstract Truth doesn't rekindle the magic IMHO.

For anyone not willing to punt upwards of £80 for a copy of the AP 2x45 version of TBatAT, I can thoroughly recommend this 1980 AAA Japanese pressing - http://https://www.discogs.com/Oliver-Nelson-The-Blues-And-The-Abstract-Truth/release/6198446 - which made my 1986 US "digitally remastered from the original stereo tapes" version sound distinctly rubbish. Also, it preserves the integrity of the two LP sides - I've always felt a bit wary of the 2x45 approach to remastering classic LPs for that reason....
patientot View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote patientot Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Jun 2020 at 9:45pm
Originally posted by LeviZ LeviZ wrote:

And this one:

The Heshoo Beshoo Group - Lazy Bones

Looked at the prices of albums by this group, yikes! Hopefully someone will consider a reissue in the future. 
SL-1200 MK7 (modified) + Reflex M + PSU-1 used with AT150-40ML, AT VM95ML, Stanton 680mkII + Ogura, and Shure M35X cartridges.
fluddite View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote fluddite Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Jun 2020 at 10:47pm
Originally posted by LeviZ LeviZ wrote:

Sotho Blue - Abdullah Ibrahim

Mention of the great Mr Ibrahim prompted me to scan my shelves and compile another baker's dozen - which then became 20 Embarrassed without too much difficulty (and bear in mind that there could easily be 20 Abdullah albums in this list Wink....):

Charlie Parker/Dizzy Gillespie/Bud Powell/Charles Mingus/Max Roach - The Greatest Jazz Concert Ever (Prestige) - various versions of the legendary 1953 Massey Hall gig are in circulation, but this has the whole gig - trio + quintet sets - in nicely remastered 1970s RCA/Prestige sound as a cheap twofer. The best quintet ever? Hard to argue with that lineup....

Sarah Vaughan - Sarah Vaughan (EmArcy) - the great voice at its finest - and with Clifford Brown!

Miles Davis - Bags' Groove (Prestige) - Monk's solo on Take 1 of the title track is truly one of The Great Things

Serge Chaloff - Blue Serge (Capitol) - baritone heaven

Art Pepper - Art Pepper Meets The Rhythm Section (Contemporary) - unbelievably, on a borrowed/scrounged sax....

Coleman Hawkins/Ben Webster - Coleman Hawkins Encounters Ben Webster aka Blue Saxophones (Verve/Columbia/various reissues) - two of the greats, together

Chet Baker - Chet (Riverside) - meltingly beautiful

Nina Simone - Nina Simone at Town Hall (Colpix/endless reissues) - some elitists refuse to classify Nina as a jazz singer or pianist (I'm looking at you, Penguin Guide to Jazz). They are Just Wrong. This LP needs to be in every music lover's collection, regardless of how you file it....

Lennie Tristano - The New Tristano (Atlantic) - a complete piano aesthetic in one LP

John Coltrane - Olé Coltrane (Atlantic) - a personal favourite - Coltrane and Dolphy in excelcis

Bill Evans Trio - The Village Vanguard Sessions (Milestone) - this wonderful 1973 twofer is the best cheap way of getting your hands on both Sunday at the Village Vanguard and Waltz for Debby in good pressings - which is to say the best piano trio records ever made....

Eric Dolphy - Out To Lunch! (Blue Note) - not always easy, but truly essential

John Coltrane - A Love Supreme (Impulse!) - unaccountably, left off my last list - also not always easy, but truly essential

Herbie Hancock - Maiden Voyage (Blue Note) - modal brilliance, and not too tough on the ears....

Ornette Coleman Trio - At the "Golden Circle", Stockholm Vols. 1 & 2 (Blue Note) - a toss-up between this set and any of Ornette's earlier Atlantic LPs, but I give this the nod because of David Izenzon's unique bass playing. Virtually the definition of "not always easy, but truly essential" - is there a pattern emerging here?

Oregon - Distant Hills (Vanguard) - astonishing compositions and interplay - where jazz intersects with e.g. Third Ear Band....

McCoy Tyner - Asante (Blue Note) - for my money, McCoy's most satisfying homage to Mother Africa

Keith Jarrett - The Köln Concert (ECM) - probably not even Jarrett's best, but the release that defined (and bankrolled) the entire "ECM sound"

Jan Garbarek - Dis (ECM) - unique, honestly - sax, guitar, brass ensemble, windharp (especially windharp)....

Abdullah Ibrahim - Water From an Ancient Well (BlackHawk) - this would be my choice for best Jazz LP of the last 40 years

OK - that gets me up to 1986 Wink - more anon....

f.

patientot View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote patientot Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Jun 2020 at 8:38pm
Today's pick is a reissue of Helen Merrill's self titled album by Analogue Productions. Vocal jazz usually isn't my thing outside of a few specific recordings by the big names, but I really like this one. Highly recommended. The backing band is top notch and the arrangements were done by a young Quincy Jones!

SL-1200 MK7 (modified) + Reflex M + PSU-1 used with AT150-40ML, AT VM95ML, Stanton 680mkII + Ogura, and Shure M35X cartridges.
fluddite View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote fluddite Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Jun 2020 at 8:51pm
Originally posted by patientot patientot wrote:

Today's pick is a reissue of Helen Merrill's self titled album by Analogue Productions. Vocal jazz usually isn't my thing outside of a few specific recordings by the big names, but I really like this one. Highly recommended. The backing band is top notch and the arrangements were done by a young Quincy Jones!

That's another sensational album, P! I came that close to putting it in my last list - but then plumped for Sarah Vaughan (same era, same studio IIRC, same great mid-50s EmArcy sound - and Brownie again!) instead.

I think I must have picked up my copy (Japanese mono repress, great sound) in this wonderful New York institution - http://https://jazzrecordcenter.com/

Thankfully, the great Ms Merrill is still with us - and I've never heard a bad record from her.

f.

patientot View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote patientot Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Jun 2020 at 9:00pm
Originally posted by fluddite fluddite wrote:

That's another sensational album, P! I came that close to putting it in my last list - but then plumped for Sarah Vaughan (same era, same studio IIRC, same great mid-50s EmArcy sound - and Brownie again!) instead.

I think I must have picked up my copy (Japanese mono repress, great sound) in this wonderful New York institution - http://https://jazzrecordcenter.com/

Thankfully, the great Ms Merrill is still with us - and I've never heard a bad record from her.

f.

I've heard great things about that shop but have never been there. I do like that Sarah album and have it on CD. Verve is reissuing that in October in an AAA LP version in cooperation with Chad Kassem/QRP/AP. 
fluddite View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote fluddite Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Jun 2020 at 9:19pm

[/QUOTE]

I've heard great things about that shop but have never been there. 
[/QUOTE]

Put it this way - in the US, I've only ever been to New York - I've only ever been three times - and on all three visits, the two places I've had to go to have been Jazz Record Centre (for the recorded stuff) and the Village Vanguard (for the live stuff). Lighter wallet = heavier return luggage on all three occasions.... Wink

f.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 1112131415 18>
  Share Topic