FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Welcome to the Graham Slee Audio Products Owners Forum

Open to all owners plus those contemplating the purchase of a Graham Slee HiFi System Components audio product and wishing to use this forum's loaner program: join here (Rules on posting can be found here)

This website along with trade marks Graham Slee and HiFi System Components are owned by Cadman Enterprises Ltd

Essential Jazz Albums

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 15161718>
Author
less View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote less Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Mar 2021 at 6:49pm
Hi Kezzawd,
I just found my copy from 2010 but not 45rpm. Your copy probably sounds fantastic, do tell!

Also in my collection are:
 Live at Shelly’s Mann Hole Riverside 673 003
Blue Note The Alternative Man with John McLaughlin
Riverside 673 008 Bill Evans
Doxy Dox807 New Jazz Conceptions
Milestone The Village Vanguard Sessions double lp

I’ve fired off an email to actmusic just to vent my frustration and annoyance. Don’t expect them to be overly concerned though. We’ll see.

Les
I don't do mediocrity!

Les Sutherland
less View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote less Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Mar 2021 at 6:54pm
Forgot a Japanese release on Fantasy, Intuition LFJ-80036

Les
I don't do mediocrity!

Les Sutherland
patientot View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote patientot Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Jun 2021 at 8:53pm
Here's my essential jazz pick for today. I probably posted this before but since this album needs more attention...

Gerald Wilson - The Golden Sword LP

One of the finest jazz-related records I've ever heard. A few years ago a friend introduced me to this record and sent me a copy. I was truly blown away and have been keeping an eye out for Gerald Wilson LPs since. Most of them are pretty different from this one though they can be pretty great also.

What we have here is post-bop big band music heavy on Spanish themes. This stuff jumps out of the speakers and grabs you like no other. If you see a copy of this album, do not hesitate, buy it! Throw your notions about big band music out the window. This is not some boring Glen Miller type record or whatever. Fans of soundtrack type music would probably dig this as well.

This copy is a mono white label promo, and I've got my conical Shure cartridge out because it sounds better with old mono records like this, especially when my preamp has "mono" mode engaged. Still hunting for a nice stereo copy in the proper condition to sit next to my monos. It'll turn up eventually down the line maybe...

If Blue Note is reading this (they handle Pacific Jazz now), we need a Tone Poet reissue of this album to bring it to a wider audience and put the sound quality over the top!

SL-1200 MK7 (modified) + Reflex M + PSU-1 used with AT150-40ML, AT VM95ML, Stanton 680mkII + Ogura, and Shure M35X cartridges.
kgilroy View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote kgilroy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Jun 2021 at 2:35pm
Just splurged on a UHQR Kind of Blue from Analogue Productions.  You can believe all the hype.  It's quite remarkable.  I already had a MoFi 45 and Classic Records version which has the same Bernie Grundman mastering as the UHQR but the new one blows them all away.  I hear details of the instruments that I never noticed before.

Expensive and I am not sure if you can get it in the UK but so far the definitive version IMHO
Keith

Marantz TT-15S1, Maestro V2, Accession MM, Icon Audio Stereo 40 Mk lll, Wharfedale Jade 3.

Mac Mini, BitPerfect, Dynaudio Xeo2

Marantz SA-15S1, Apple TV, Cambridge CXA60, B&W DM2000, REL Sub
patientot View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote patientot Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Jun 2021 at 3:49pm
Originally posted by kgilroy kgilroy wrote:

Just splurged on a UHQR Kind of Blue from Analogue Productions.  You can believe all the hype.  It's quite remarkable.  I already had a MoFi 45 and Classic Records version which has the same Bernie Grundman mastering as the UHQR but the new one blows them all away.  I hear details of the instruments that I never noticed before.

Expensive and I am not sure if you can get it in the UK but so far the definitive version IMHO

All of the feedback I've read on this release w/r/t sound quality has been very favorable. A few people have gotten dud copies that were extra noisy or whatever. I didn't order from the first batch because I wanted to read some feedback first. Not a fan of the one-step trend of $100+ for a single album but in this case I might bite for the second batch because another AAA version in the future is highly unlikely. That and I don't have any LP version of the album, just a CD.
SL-1200 MK7 (modified) + Reflex M + PSU-1 used with AT150-40ML, AT VM95ML, Stanton 680mkII + Ogura, and Shure M35X cartridges.
kgilroy View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kgilroy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Jun 2021 at 4:12pm
Mine is #2048 and perfect.  Analogue Productions is great about sending replacements when necessary without even returning your copy.  I have done that before with a noisy Muddy Waters album.

I wouldn't be surprised if they also do a 45 rpm version later - just because.

I have had good experience with one steps etc and the new Impex Patricia Barber album but I only do it for albums I really want.  To be honest $100 is not out of line based on the results.  Just wait for the markups on ebay and Discogs Smile
Keith

Marantz TT-15S1, Maestro V2, Accession MM, Icon Audio Stereo 40 Mk lll, Wharfedale Jade 3.

Mac Mini, BitPerfect, Dynaudio Xeo2

Marantz SA-15S1, Apple TV, Cambridge CXA60, B&W DM2000, REL Sub
patientot View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote patientot Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Jun 2021 at 4:27pm
Originally posted by kgilroy kgilroy wrote:

Mine is #2048 and perfect.  Analogue Productions is great about sending replacements when necessary without even returning your copy.  I have done that before with a noisy Muddy Waters album.

I wouldn't be surprised if they also do a 45 rpm version later - just because.

I have had good experience with one steps etc and the new Impex Patricia Barber album but I only do it for albums I really want.  To be honest $100 is not out of line based on the results.  Just wait for the markups on ebay and Discogs Smile

Acoustic Sounds has usually been pretty good to me. I bought a lot of records from their "vinyl vault" in the last year or two and they usually made things right if there was a problem. Sometimes it took them awhile to respond, but that's expected under current circumstances.

One Step releases are a big cash cow for the labels. That's why so many audiophile labels are doing them now, rather than pressing the old-style $35-40 33rpm records or $50-60 45rpm records that most audiophile labels used to do. The numbered/limited thing also creates a huge FOMO factor and they know many people are buying them just to flip.

RE: 45rpm, AS/AP already announced that, but they've not started taking orders yet.

Edited by patientot - 04 Jun 2021 at 4:27pm
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 15161718>
  Share Topic