FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Welcome to the Graham Slee Audio Products Owners Forum

Open to all owners plus those contemplating the purchase of a Graham Slee HiFi System Components audio product and wishing to use this forum's loaner program: join here (Rules on posting can be found here)

This website along with trade marks Graham Slee and HiFi System Components are owned by Cadman Enterprises Ltd

Essential Jazz Albums

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 1011121314 18>
Author
kgilroy View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote kgilroy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Jan 2020 at 12:31pm
I haven't posted for a long time - too busy listening to jazz

Recently picked up the box set of the Complete Art Pepper at Ronnie Scott's by Pure Pleasure Records. Fantastic music and sound quality.
Also Shirley Horn , Softly by Org Music and A Lazy Afternoon on Steeplechase. She was a phenomenal singer.
Keith

Marantz TT-15S1, Maestro V2, Accession MM, Icon Audio Stereo 40 Mk lll, Wharfedale Jade 3.

Mac Mini, BitPerfect, Dynaudio Xeo2

Marantz SA-15S1, Apple TV, Cambridge CXA60, B&W DM2000, REL Sub
kgilroy View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote kgilroy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Jan 2020 at 2:02pm
I have just read back though all of the postings and there are only a few mentions of Bill Evans who was arguably the founder of the modern jazz trio. The Riverside Collection Box Set by Analogue Productions is excellent. Currently backordered although you can find almost anything on Discogs.com.

Also the recent releases on Resonance Records are worth looking for. The LPs are hard to find unless you want to pay silly money in the used market. They were released in limited editions for Record Store Days. They are available however on CD and download - some DSD.

A relative newcomer that I highly recommend is Yuko Mabuchi and her trio. She is based in Los Angeles and records for Yarlung Records. The recording quality is exceptional and her playing is beautiful, full of energy - and really swings! Watch her on YouTube. She has two releases, one of which is available on vinyl. Both also on cd and dsd.

BTW, Yarlung is also worth checking out for their other releases - they have a website of course.
Keith

Marantz TT-15S1, Maestro V2, Accession MM, Icon Audio Stereo 40 Mk lll, Wharfedale Jade 3.

Mac Mini, BitPerfect, Dynaudio Xeo2

Marantz SA-15S1, Apple TV, Cambridge CXA60, B&W DM2000, REL Sub
fluddite View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote fluddite Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Jun 2020 at 11:09pm
Love this thread - especially Patientot's vinyl + cover choices and photos!

There are so many possibilities - but I'd endorse virtually everything everyone's suggested so far. If I had to start (bearing in mind you're likely to never stop....) with a dozen or so to cover many of the bases in this greatest of musics, I'd choose these - with apologies for duplications above and for stating the Bleedin' Obvious - and with the recommendation that you look out for pre-digital vinyl if it's affordable:

Louis Armstrong - Hot Fives & Sevens (JSP 4xCD set - the exception that proves the rule - there are lots of vinyl versions out there, but I've never owned any that hold a candle to the late great John R. T. Davies' remastering here. This is the cornerstone of all small-group jazz that follows after....)

Duke Ellington & His Orchestra - any good anthology of the studio recordings covering 1940-1942 - The Blanton-Webster Band (RCA) is pretty complete and nicely documented, but digitally remastered - the French CBS Complete Duke Ellington twofers are unimpeachable value second-hand

Sidney Bechet - Jazz Classics Vols. 1 & 2 (Blue Note)

Billie Holiday - God Bless The Child (CBS - a twofer compilation from the great 1930s/40s period)

Sonny Rollins - Saxophone Colossus (Prestige)

Duke Ellington & His Orchestra - Such Sweet Thunder (various Philips & CBS versions)

Thelonious Monk - Brilliant Corners (Riverside)

Miles Davis - Kind Of Blue (CBS/Columbia - the current stereo vinyl iteration is very good IMHO - digital or no - and has the post-1992 pitch correction)

Charles Mingus - Mingus Ah Um (CBS - the 1970s Better Git It In Your Soul twofer is a great way of getting this and the almost equally wonderful Mingus Dynasty in good analogue versions)

Mal Waldron - The Quest (Prestige - again, available as half of a terrific 1970s twofer, Fire Waltz - Eric Dolphy and Mal Waldron remain two of the most underrated greats IMHO)

Oliver Nelson - The Blues And The Abstract Truth (Impulse!)

Lee Morgan - The Sidewinder (Blue Note)

Stan Tracey Quartet - Jazz Suite Inspired By Dylan Thomas' Under Milk Wood (Columbia if you can afford it/Steam) - the best UK jazz LP bar none

...and even that baker's dozen only gets us up to 1965!

morris_minor View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote morris_minor Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Jun 2020 at 10:22am
That's a great list! I'm please you included the Oliver Nelson album - a great listen! I posted a track from that on my YouTube cahnnel about a year ago . . .

Bob

Majestic DAC/pre-amp
Accession MC/Enigma, Accession MM, Reflex M, Elevator EXP, Era Gold V
Solo ULDE, Novo, Lautus USB and digital, Libran balanced, CuSat50
2 x Proprius + Spatia/Spatia Links
patientot View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote patientot Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Jun 2020 at 10:31pm
That Oliver Nelson album is a monster. Kinda wish I would've grabbed the AP 45 reissue of that back when it was still easily available. I do have it on CD at least. 

Lots of great stuff in Fluddite's list including a few I'm not too familiar with. My knowledge of pre-bebop jazz is fairly thin, I'll admit. 

Today's pick is a 3xLP archival live album from Nathan Davis with the Georges Arvanitas Trio on the Sam Records label out of France. I've wanted this for a couple years now and the first run quickly sold out. Thankfully there was a second run and I was able to get a copy but that run is now almost sold out. If you want one, get it. I do not know if there will be third run or not. If you don't know Nathan Davis, check him out. I actually found out about him through social media, if you can believe that. Many of his key works are OOP and go for $$$ these days but this is one of the few somewhat affordable releases you can still buy (for now). It's not exactly cheap but considering the amount of music you get and the quality of the overall package I think it's a good deal. 

SL-1200 MK7 (modified) + Reflex M + PSU-1 used with AT150-40ML, AT VM95ML, Stanton 680mkII + Ogura, and Shure M35X cartridges.
LeviZ View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote LeviZ Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Jun 2020 at 8:20pm
Not sure if the following were mentioned already:

The Heshoo Beshoo Group - Emakhaya

Sotho Blue - Abdullah Ibrahim
LeviZ View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote LeviZ Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Jun 2020 at 8:23pm
And this one:

The Heshoo Beshoo Group - Lazy Bones

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 1011121314 18>
  Share Topic