FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Welcome to the Graham Slee Audio Products Owners Forum

Open to all owners plus those contemplating the purchase of a Graham Slee HiFi System Components audio product and wishing to use this forum's loaner program: join here (Rules on posting can be found here)

This website along with trade marks Graham Slee and HiFi System Components are owned by Cadman Enterprises Ltd

Essential Jazz Albums

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 910111213 18>
Author
patientot View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote patientot Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Jun 2019 at 1:54pm
Originally posted by John1479 John1479 wrote:

As mentioned in an earlier post, but it's so good, it's up to at least a few more mentions....LOL

Charles Mingus. -  The Black Saint And The Sinner Lady. 
1963 Impulse. Produced by Bob Thiele. 
A word of advice, I bought the Analogue Productions 45rpm AIPJ-35 B0014877-01 Ltd edition No. 0229 after a catastrophic accident with cigarette ash falling on my 1973 NM reissue. Silly B****** Cry

I would think twice before buying this if you want to play it regularly. It's so frustrating getting up to change sides. It completely interrupts enjoyment of this particular album. It was composed as a 'Ballet' piece and as an uninterrupted experience. It was cut into four principle parts for commercial reasons, to suite vinyl LP. Funny, that it's release on CD allowed listeners to experience this absolute Mingus Masterpiece as it was originally intended. Unless you make high quality recordings to listen back and save the original, then I would buy a 33rpm.

Add to the list....

Oliver Nelson. - The Blues And The Abstract Truth. 
1961 Produced by Creed Taylor.
Featuring, Oliver Nelson, Eric Dolphy, Freddie Hubbard, George Barrow, Bill Evans, Paul Chambers, Roy Haynes. 
This is Essential! Truly wonderful and accessible. 

Quincy Jones. - Walking In Space.
1969 Produced by Creed Taylor.
Featuring, amongst others, Ray Brown, Eric Gale, Grady Tate, Bob James, Freddie Hubbard, Jimmy Cleveland, Toots Thielemans, Hubert Laws, Jerome Richardson, Roland Kirk, Valerie Simpson, Maretha Stewart. 

This is super cool sixties Jazz baby Wink

It's worth checking out reviews on these albums, saves my waffling and besides, you'll get a proper overview. 

That Mingus album is tied with Town Hall Concert as my favorite from him. I've only ever had it on CD. I agree that 45rpm reissues can sometimes disrupt the flow of albums. I'm sure it sounds great though. I've thought of trying that pressing before. 

The Oliver Nelson album is also great, another one I've only ever had on CD. I think there was a 45rpm version of that one as well. 

I've been looking for a clean LP copy of the Quincy album but when it does show up in the used bins it's always in horrible shape with scratches. I may have to just get a decent CD version of that one too.  
SL-1200 MK7 (modified) + Reflex M + PSU-1 used with AT150-40ML, AT VM95ML, Stanton 680mkII + Ogura, and Shure M35X cartridges.
patientot View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote patientot Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Jun 2019 at 12:01am
Today's pick is a 60s album by Lou Donaldson, that's more of a pre-70s funky jazz kind of music than the hard bop of his earlier recordings. Purists might not like it, but I really enjoy this album. It's part of the Tone Poet series, mastered by Kevin Gray (all analogue from the original tapes) and pressed at RTI.

SL-1200 MK7 (modified) + Reflex M + PSU-1 used with AT150-40ML, AT VM95ML, Stanton 680mkII + Ogura, and Shure M35X cartridges.
patientot View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote patientot Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Jul 2019 at 6:39pm
Today's pick is Bobbi Humphrey's third album, originally released in 1973. Probably her most famous work and heavily sampled by hip hop artists and such. If you like jazz with funk/r&b crossover elements, give this a shot. Certainly one of the best albums I've heard in the style. This copy is a reissue from the current BN80 series, cut by Kevin Gray from analog tape and pressed at Optimal in Germany. 
patientot View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote patientot Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Oct 2019 at 7:42pm
Today's pick is Norman Connors' debut leader album, Dance of Magic, from 1972. My personal copy is a '76 reissue on the Buddah label. Four long tracks, very free flowing in nature, though it's not "free jazz". Check out the supporting cast. 

patientot View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote patientot Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Nov 2019 at 10:08pm

Today's pick looks like a Chick Corea album, but it's not really. It's actually a reissue of a semi-obscure Pete La Roca album from 1967 called Turkish Women at the Bath. Since Chick was a lot more famous than Pete in the early 70s, the Muse label (among others) did this reissue under Corea's name so they could make more money (Pete sued them for this). Stuff like this has happened several times in the jazz world. Musically it's great though and belongs in your collection on some format. If you know Pete's Basra album on Blue Note, this one is a bit less fiery than that one most of the time, but it's every bit as good. 
Godra View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Godra Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Nov 2019 at 4:36pm
I would add to the list this album : Ryo Fukui - Mellow dreams (1977). He's a japanese jazz pianist. Less known, but I really love the entire album. 
Clearaudio Performance DC with Clarify tonearm + Virtuoso V2, Tannoy Legacy Eaton, Accession MM and BAT VK300Xse
patientot View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote patientot Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Nov 2019 at 4:47pm
Originally posted by Godra Godra wrote:

I would add to the list this album : Ryo Fukui - Mellow dreams (1977). He's a japanese jazz pianist. Less known, but I really love the entire album. 

I've got the recent CD reissues of both Scenery and Mellow Dreams. I like them, but I recall reading that some folks (musician types mainly) found his technique a bit amateurish. IIRC he didn't have a lot of formal training before recording these albums. I enjoy them for what they are. 
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 910111213 18>
  Share Topic