FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Welcome to the Graham Slee Audio Products Owners Forum

Open to all owners plus those contemplating the purchase of a Graham Slee HiFi System Components audio product and wishing to use this forum's loaner program: join here (Rules on posting can be found here)

This website along with trade marks Graham Slee and HiFi System Components are owned by Cadman Enterprises Ltd

Essential Jazz Albums

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 678910 18>
Author
kgilroy View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kgilroy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Sep 2018 at 8:21pm
Nice.

Tanya has quite a nice dynamic range and and the drums really "pop"

Most on the list are classics but one is a young singer from Newcastle - Zoe Gilby, working hard to make a name for herself.

http://www.zoegilby.co.uk
patientot View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote patientot Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Nov 2018 at 3:41pm
Maybe not essential in everyone's book, but Azar Lawrence's Summer Solstice is one of my personal favorites that seldom gets mentioned. 

patientot View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote patientot Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Dec 2018 at 12:44am

Here's one I played today that doesn't get talked about too much. Henderson's Blue Note albums are highly regarded but not everyone seems to know his early to mid 70s period on Milestone too well. IMHO this era of Henderson is every bit as awesome as his 60s work, just different. 

suntzu66! View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote suntzu66! Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Dec 2018 at 4:33pm
Hello,

My first post here.  First thanks, to B. Kohl who was gracious enough to share some of his favorite music.

patientot View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote patientot Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Dec 2018 at 5:55pm
Originally posted by suntzu66! suntzu66! wrote:

Hello,

My first post here.  First thanks, to B. Kohl who was gracious enough to share some of his favorite music.

Some great players on that one. I'll have to hunt down a copy eventually. 
Silence_Kit View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Silence_Kit Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Feb 2019 at 3:40am
Lots of great stuff listed here! I'd enthusiastically second John Coltrane & Johnny Hartman, Mingus Ah Um, and Sunday at the Village Vanguard, among many others folks have mentioned.

Here are a few current faves of mine I don't think I saw listed:

- Gerry Mulligan Meets Ben Webster
- Duke Ellington & John Coltrane
- The Sidewinder - Lee Morgan
- Monk's Music - Thelonious Monk Septet
- Conversations with Myself - Bill Evans
-  Round about Midnight, Nefertiti, In a Silent Way - Miles Davis
- Soap Suds, Soap Suds - Ornette Coleman & Charlie Haden

For a more contemporary take on the genre, I loved Makaya McCraven's "Universal Beings" last year. He recorded four different ensembles live, then chopped up the recordings and used pieces of them as samples. Described by the label as "organic beat music." Andrew Cyrille's "Lebroba" with Leo Wadada Smith and Bill Frisell was my other favorite jazz release last year.

patientot View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote patientot Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Feb 2019 at 5:02pm
^Lots of classics listed there, a few which I still need for my collection. 

The Makaya McCraven album has been on my list to check out for awhile. In general, I've really enjoyed the contemporary UK scene. Maybe not something for purists but albums from Binker & Moses, Chip Wickham, and Moses Boyd all made my list of top albums for 2018. 
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 678910 18>
  Share Topic