FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Welcome to the Graham Slee Audio Products Owners Forum

Open to all owners plus those contemplating the purchase of a Graham Slee HiFi System Components audio product and wishing to use this forum's loaner program: join here (Rules on posting can be found here)

This website along with trade marks Graham Slee and HiFi System Components are owned by Cadman Enterprises Ltd

Recommended Classical Recordings

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12345 22>
Author
morris_minor View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote morris_minor Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Apr 2015 at 5:31pm
No Beethoven mentioned yet . . .

Symphonies No.5 and No.7 - Carlos Kleiber and the Vienna Philharmonic (DG 'Originals' - the CD is like a little LP Wink). This is music making of the highest order.
Bob

Majestic DAC/pre-amp
Accession MC/Enigma, Accession MM, Reflex M, Elevator EXP, Era Gold V
Solo ULDE, Novo, Lautus USB and digital, Libran balanced, CuSat50
2 x Proprius + Spatia/Spatia Links
LOINER View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote LOINER Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Apr 2015 at 7:44pm
Originally posted by morris_minor morris_minor wrote:

No Beethoven mentioned yet . . .

Symphonies No.5 and No.7 - Carlos Kleiber and the Vienna Philharmonic (DG 'Originals' - the CD is like a little LP Wink). This is music making of the highest order.

Agreed Bob the vinyl is also excellent.
Beethoven Violin Concerto Berlin Philharmic Von Karajan Anne-Sophie Mutter (vinyl)
New Philharmonia   Otto Klemperer Yehudi Menhuin     (cd)
This is a no brainer Anne -Sophie wins hands down its exciting well recorded and everything you
expect from Beethoven the Menhuin is the complete opposite in fact it is a dirge and you quickly lose interest.
STUART
SOLO ULTRA LINEAR DIAMOND EDITION
LAUTUS DUAL MONO 1.5M INTERCONNECTS
GRAM AMP 2SE
msphil View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote msphil Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 May 2015 at 12:50pm
I have four versions of Beethoven's violin Concerto. These are versions by Oistrach, Kennedy, and Perlman but my favourite is Herman Krebbers  with Bernard Haitink  and the Royal Concertgebouw Orchestra. This used to be the top recommendation for many years in the Penguin Classical Record Guide.
'You are, through your soul not your body, a human being.'
tg [RIP] View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tg [RIP] Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 May 2015 at 2:24pm

The Beethoven violin concerto seems to be one to inspire collecting performances, I will not admit to how many I have collected.

The one I seem to visit most often is Wolfgang Marschner with the Sudwestdeutsche Philharmonia under Gunter Neidlinger.

Not quite sure why I like it, although it seems to be a smaller orchestra and perhaps more intimate and concerto like than when played by a full symphony orchestra.

I will go with the Kleiber 5 & 7 recommendation above too.

Edited by tg - 01 May 2015 at 2:26pm
Tony G
RichW View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote RichW Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 May 2015 at 1:38pm
Elgar violin concerto.
I've owned the CD of the Kennedy EMI recording for many years & recently acquired
the LP of the same (from Phil).
Have been reminded (as if it were needed) that LP is still an extremely capable & valid
format for classical music.

Edited by RichW - 20 May 2015 at 1:39pm
Majestic/Enigma, Accession MM & MC.
Fuzzy View Drop Down
Regular
Regular

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Fuzzy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 May 2015 at 3:05pm
Now that I have my Gram Amp 2 SE installed (with a nice enough 1 meter Supra RCA connect), I am finally able to enjoy in all its glory the legendary live recording of Mahler 8 conducted by Dimitri Mitropoulos (Everest 3189/2 two LP set). While the recording itself is technically speaking nothing really special - and sometimes even rather bad - (the box says 'electronically enhanced for stereo effect'), the music making is excellent. And the LPs I have are for as far as I can tell in very good condition, so that does help too. Somehow these older recordings feel and listen nicer on LP than CD (the latter version I do not possess). 
morris_minor View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote morris_minor Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 May 2015 at 5:23pm
Originally posted by RichW RichW wrote:

Elgar violin concerto.
I've owned the CD of the Kennedy EMI recording for many years & recently acquired
the LP of the same (from Phil).
Have been reminded (as if it were needed) that LP is still an extremely capable & valid
format for classical music.
One of my favourites too. With the best Elgar conductor in Vernon Handley since Boult. (IMO) "Other conductors are available" LOL

Get a quiet pressing and LPs are excellent for classical music!
Bob

Majestic DAC/pre-amp
Accession MC/Enigma, Accession MM, Reflex M, Elevator EXP, Era Gold V
Solo ULDE, Novo, Lautus USB and digital, Libran balanced, CuSat50
2 x Proprius + Spatia/Spatia Links
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12345 22>
  Share Topic