FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Welcome to the Graham Slee Audio Products Owners Forum

Open to all owners plus those contemplating the purchase of a Graham Slee HiFi System Components audio product and wishing to use this forum's loaner program: join here (Rules on posting can be found here)

This website along with trade marks Graham Slee and HiFi System Components are owned by Cadman Enterprises Ltd

Recommended Classical Recordings

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 1617181920 22>
Author
RichW View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote RichW Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Nov 2020 at 3:13pm
Thanks for the rec Mick.

Talking of Bruckner - heard a few minutes of his Motets on the radio (Classic FM in the UK) a while ago & it sounded very interesting. Have taken a punt with this CD.

BBC - Music - Review of Anton Bruckner - Motets

Majestic/Enigma, Accession MM & MC.
Aussie Mick View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Aussie Mick Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Nov 2020 at 11:27am
Terrific music. 
Rega RP8 - Apheta 2 - Accession MC Enigma PS -Solo ULDE (Focal Utopia) - PS Audio M700 - Fical Kanta No2
Kory View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Kory Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Feb 2021 at 6:26pm
This last week I've been enjoying an old purchase from about 25 years ago or so, the D2D of Wagner selections with Leinsdorf and LA Phil from Sheffield Labs. Lots of presence and power. Great imaging and accurate placement. Wonderful dynamics and color.
Kory

Hana ML, Zu/Denon 103 Mk. II, Ortofon 2M Black, Accession MM/Elevator EXP/PSU-1 Enigma/Lautus interconnects, Apogee Duet II, SOTA Nova, CJ 17LS2, Adcom 7805, VTL MB 300 Deluxe, Infinity IRS Beta
Kory View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Kory Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Apr 2021 at 8:59pm
Here's a great recording for any classical buffs, or for anyone who wants to hear the possibilities of vinyl: Rachmaninoff's Symphonic Dances, with Oue and the Minnesota Orchestra, released on Reference Recordings. It's a 180 gram record mastered at 1/2 speed. Just spectacular! For fun I compared the CD release of the same recording, and the differences are dramatic and clear. Much, much better stage width, separation of instruments, accuracy of color and timbre, and far greater dynamic range and punch with the vinyl. If anyone wants to demonstrate the advantages of vinyl over CD this clearly shows the winner to be vinyl. And as usual, the Accession showcases the vinyl to such obvious advantage. I'm loving it!
Kory

Hana ML, Zu/Denon 103 Mk. II, Ortofon 2M Black, Accession MM/Elevator EXP/PSU-1 Enigma/Lautus interconnects, Apogee Duet II, SOTA Nova, CJ 17LS2, Adcom 7805, VTL MB 300 Deluxe, Infinity IRS Beta
Nippithon View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Nippithon Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 May 2021 at 8:05am
Originally posted by morris_minor morris_minor wrote:

I have Glen Gould's 1981 Goldberg recording (on piano) and Trevor Pinnock's 1980 harpsichord version.
---quote truncated---

Hi Bob,

Is your Gould-recording on LP? It's how I have it and that ultra-thin CBS pressing is now badly warped. I love that record -- the performance and the audio quality, and the misshapen disk is a memento of the oil shortages from the day.

Mitch
morris_minor View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote morris_minor Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 May 2021 at 10:09am
Hi Mitch - I have the Gould recording on CD, but I know what you mean about ultra-thin vinyl! I have a few of those. They can be used as wobble boards LOL
Bob

Majestic DAC/pre-amp
Accession MC/Enigma, Accession MM, Reflex M, Elevator EXP, Era Gold V
Solo ULDE, Novo, Lautus USB and digital, Libran balanced, CuSat50
2 x Proprius + Spatia/Spatia Links
Nippithon View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Nippithon Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 May 2021 at 3:50pm
"Wobble board," what's that? So I looked it up - apparently it's a device for making dogs smile.

-Mitch

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 1617181920 22>
  Share Topic