FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Welcome to the Graham Slee Audio Products Owners Forum

Open to all owners plus those contemplating the purchase of a Graham Slee HiFi System Components audio product and wishing to use this forum's loaner program: join here (Rules on posting can be found here)

This website along with trade marks Graham Slee and HiFi System Components are owned by Cadman Enterprises Ltd

Recommended Classical Recordings

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 1415161718 22>
Author
Kory View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Kory Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Mar 2020 at 3:46pm
No, J never have. Thanks for the tip. I'll try and find it. I also very much enjoy the Francescatti and the Menuhin. 
Kory

Hana ML, Zu/Denon 103 Mk. II, Ortofon 2M Black, Accession MM/Elevator EXP/PSU-1 Enigma/Lautus interconnects, Apogee Duet II, SOTA Nova, CJ 17LS2, Adcom 7805, VTL MB 300 Deluxe, Infinity IRS Beta
LeviZ View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote LeviZ Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Jun 2020 at 12:11am

Bach: 6 Brandenburg Concertos / 4 Orchestral Suites by by Trevor Pinnock, to my surprise that I enjoy them much more than I thought.

fluddite View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote fluddite Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Jun 2020 at 11:25pm
Originally posted by kgilroy kgilroy wrote:

Anyone have a favorite version of Bach's Cello Suites?

I have the Janos Starker records from Speakers Corner and Isang Enders on Berlin Classics.

The Janos Starker is a very well regarded, high quality recording and as much as I like it the one by Isang Enders is the version I play most often.

The four versions I have are all on CD Stern Smile - but all four of these sets of performances/interpretations/overviews/recordings of this great music are full of pleasures and insights IMHO:

- Maurice Gendron (Philips ADD) - normally I like my C18th music as gritty, "authentic" and lean as possible - but Gendron almost convinces me that a (slightly) more lush, less astringent way is better.
- Ralph Kirshbaum (Virgin DDD) - properly "authentic", if you will.
- Mstislav Rostropovich (EMI Classics DDD) - well, it's (late) Rostropovich. It's wonderful - especially if you want to pursue those connections between Bach and Shostakovich - in that MR sometimes makes the former sound like the latter (or vice versa?).
- Philip Higham (Delphian DDD) - terrific young player who's made an equally good recording of the Britten cello suites. Great sounds, real insight - and unlike the versions listed above, I've had the chance to see him play this repertoire live and can attest to his grasp and insight.

So what I need now is a really good version (bearing in mind my "lean"-ish preferences) on vinyl. It sounds like the AP Janos Starker set is a real possibility - but do folk have any other suggestions from the 60s-early 80s AAA era?
fluddite View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote fluddite Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Jun 2020 at 11:46pm
Surprised not to have seen more love for string quartets on this thread.

To stick my neck out - for me, the string quartet is to composed/"classical" music what tenor + trumpet + rhythm is to jazz or what 2 guitars, bass, drums (thank you Lou Reed) is to rock. Whereas the C19th orchestral/symphonic mainstream sounds to me like the prototype for heavy metal bombast. And don't even get me started on opera and the "trained voice".... Wink

So - let's start at the (very) top. Complete Beethoven string quartets. I've got multiple CD versions (my favourite - by a short head from the rightly-much-loved Lindsays - being the Endellion set on Warner) - but I'm more interested in a "go-to" LP version. I was lucky enough to pick up a Philips set of the Italian Quartet doing the "late quartets" (Op.127 onwards) in a bargain bin about a decade ago, and they've been my preferred recorded option ever since - but I've recently punted for a complete set (in 3 boxes) from the 1960s Juilliard Quartet on CBS, recorded shortly after their astonishing 1963 Bartok cycle (of which more anon). This may be even more to my taste - will report back as I work through 'em.

And which versions/sets do other forum members treasure or recommend?
Pushpaw View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Pushpaw Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Sep 2020 at 1:23am
Here's my most recent classical vinyl purchases. They are all Analogue Productions releases. I honestly recommend them all, but I particularly like the Ravel, Stravinsky and Dvorak.

1VAAPC2421NHenryk Szeryng in Recital ~ LP x1 200g

1VAAPC2620NBeethoven: Sonatas No. 8, Op. 30, No. 3 / Brahms: No. 1, Op. 78 ~ LP x1 200g

1VAAPC90303-45NDvorak: Violincello Concerto / Bruch: Kol Nidrei ~ LP x2 45rpm 200g

1VAAPC2376NStravinsky: Petrouchka ~ LP x1 200g

1VAAPC2507NProkofieff: Concerto No. 3 / MacDowell: Concerto No. 2/ Van Cliburn ~ LP x1 200g

1VAAPC117NMahler: Symphony No. 3 In D Minor/ Forrester ~ LP x2 200g

1VAAPC1893NRavel: Daphnis And Chloe ~ LP x1 200g

1VAAPC2077NStrauss: Till Eulenspiegel/Death And Transfiguration ~ LP x1 200g

P******t Debut Carbon, Goldring 1042, GS Accession MM w/Enigma, GS Solo ULDE w/PSU1, Sennheiser HD6XX, Technics SU-800 IA, Castle Knight 1, PS Audio Ultimate Outlet, Lautus & CuSat50
jupiterboy View Drop Down
Regular
Regular

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jupiterboy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Sep 2020 at 7:11pm
This newish Bach Transcribed on Chandos is a sweet earfull.
kgilroy View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kgilroy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Oct 2020 at 4:43pm
I just downloaded a 96/24 of Lang Langs Bach Goldberg Variations and while nice enough I tend to agree with the critics - a bit overmuch. I have seen him play and find him a bit too showy.

I still like the 1955 Gould version but my current favorite is by Beatrice Rama - just beautiful.
Keith

Marantz TT-15S1, Maestro V2, Accession MM, Icon Audio Stereo 40 Mk lll, Wharfedale Jade 3.

Mac Mini, BitPerfect, Dynaudio Xeo2

Marantz SA-15S1, Apple TV, Cambridge CXA60, B&W DM2000, REL Sub
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 1415161718 22>
  Share Topic