FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Welcome to the Graham Slee Audio Products Owners Forum

Open to all owners plus those contemplating the purchase of a Graham Slee HiFi System Components audio product and wishing to use this forum's loaner program: join here (Rules on posting can be found here)

This website along with trade marks Graham Slee and HiFi System Components are owned by Cadman Enterprises Ltd

Recommended Classical Recordings

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 1213141516 22>
Author
RichW View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote RichW Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Dec 2019 at 3:06pm
Some lesser known British composers here.
An interesting collection.

British Symphonies
Majestic/Enigma, Accession MM & MC.
morris_minor View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote morris_minor Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Dec 2019 at 4:08pm
There's some great muaic in that compilation, Rich! I'll be posting Bax's 1st Symphony on my YT channel fairly soon (hope to have all his symphonies up there at some point), and Rootham's symphony is on my list too, as is Moeran's with Boult (or Dilkes - haven't decided yet Wink).

Berkeley's 3rd is a one movement wonder  - I love the last chord!  - as is Alwyn's 5th.

There's hours of enjoyment in that set! Smile
Bob

Majestic DAC/pre-amp
Accession MC/Enigma, Accession MM, Reflex M, Elevator EXP, Era Gold V
Solo ULDE, Novo, Lautus USB and digital, Libran balanced, CuSat50
2 x Proprius + Spatia/Spatia Links
RichW View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote RichW Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Dec 2019 at 8:01am
Moeran's work grabs the ear well on this collection & is beautifully recorded.
Keep up your YT recommendations Bob.Smile
Majestic/Enigma, Accession MM & MC.
morris_minor View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote morris_minor Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Dec 2019 at 2:09pm
You might find this video interesting, Rich. I'm going to make it generally avaialble when my video of Lyrita's Bax Symphony 1 goes live in a few weeks - but since you brought up Lyrita  . . . Wink It's a BBC radio programme all about the label. Your comment about the sound quality reminded me of how Richard Itter persuaded Decca to make his recordings by saying he had Boult signed up - and how he got Boult to sign up by saying Decca were doing the recordings . . . as told in this programme.

Edited by morris_minor - 11 Dec 2019 at 2:09pm
Bob

Majestic DAC/pre-amp
Accession MC/Enigma, Accession MM, Reflex M, Elevator EXP, Era Gold V
Solo ULDE, Novo, Lautus USB and digital, Libran balanced, CuSat50
2 x Proprius + Spatia/Spatia Links
Kory View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Kory Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Dec 2019 at 8:00pm
I've been listening today to the Perlman/Giulini recording of the Beethoven violin concerto. It's my favorite version for many reasons—Perlman's tone, Kreisler's cadenza, Giulini's sensitive accompaniment. Just a gem in every way. How about the rest of you? Which Beethoven do you like? And here's a fun side taste test: Which Perlman recording is your favorite of his many?
Kory

Hana ML, Zu/Denon 103 Mk. II, Ortofon 2M Black, Accession MM/Elevator EXP/PSU-1 Enigma/Lautus interconnects, Apogee Duet II, SOTA Nova, CJ 17LS2, Adcom 7805, VTL MB 300 Deluxe, Infinity IRS Beta
kgilroy View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kgilroy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Jan 2020 at 3:57pm
Anyone have a favorite version of Bach's Cello Suites?

I have the Janos Starker records from Speakers Corner and Isang Enders on Berlin Classics.

The Janos Starker is a very well regarded, high quality recording and as much as I like it the one by Isang Enders is the version I play most often.

Keith

Marantz TT-15S1, Maestro V2, Accession MM, Icon Audio Stereo 40 Mk lll, Wharfedale Jade 3.

Mac Mini, BitPerfect, Dynaudio Xeo2

Marantz SA-15S1, Apple TV, Cambridge CXA60, B&W DM2000, REL Sub
kgilroy View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kgilroy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Jan 2020 at 4:03pm
Classical Guitar anyone?

As a morose teenager in the late 60's I was obsessed with Classical Guitar music - while everyone else was rocking to the Beatles, Stones and Cream. (My musical tastes have broadened considerably since then )

I was always a big fan of John Williams but later grew to appreciate the musicality of Julian Bream more. The good news is that this genre has never really been truly mainstream so records are relatively inexpensive in the used market.

My top two on vinyl are: Julian Bream plays Bach and Villa Lobos (Sine Qua Non SQN-7765) and Bach's Lute Suites (RCA LSC 2896)

Of the newer artists my favorite is Xuefei Yang
Keith

Marantz TT-15S1, Maestro V2, Accession MM, Icon Audio Stereo 40 Mk lll, Wharfedale Jade 3.

Mac Mini, BitPerfect, Dynaudio Xeo2

Marantz SA-15S1, Apple TV, Cambridge CXA60, B&W DM2000, REL Sub
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 1213141516 22>
  Share Topic