FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Welcome to the Graham Slee Audio Products Owners Forum

Open to all owners plus those contemplating the purchase of a Graham Slee HiFi System Components audio product and wishing to use this forum's loaner program: join here (Rules on posting can be found here)

This website along with trade marks Graham Slee and HiFi System Components are owned by Cadman Enterprises Ltd

Recommended Classical Recordings

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 910111213 22>
Author
RichW View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote RichW Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Jul 2019 at 7:40am
I'll second Bob's recommendation for the Steinberg/Boston SO recording, although
I haven't heard the others yet.
Mars sounds very powerful with reverberant brass, but the personal highlights are Saturn & Neptune.
The female choir in Neptune is appropriately mystical!

Majestic/Enigma, Accession MM & MC.
Kory View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Kory Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Jul 2019 at 8:17am
This is a terrific question and of course a terrific work. My preferences always toggle between what I think is the best "sounding" recording and what I feel is the best "performance." Best performances are a bit harder to define than best sounding. For example, my favorite recording in terms of sound is the ORG 45 rpm version of Mehta's with the La Phil. It might be the best sounding recording of an orchestra I know of. It is simply stunningly spectacular, and makes my jaw drop every time I play it. I always use it to demonstrate my system to friends. It is what sold me so convincingly on the Accession. The separation of instruments and depth of field is a perfect demonstration for the Accession's virtues. A marriage made in heaven.

I also very much enjoy the Previn and LSO. I've heard so much about the Solti and Chicago performance on Mobile Fidelity and finally located a copy that is on its way as I type. So I'll soon know how it stacks up. It faces some pretty stiff competition, though, and I'll post the winner of the shootout in a few days.

But as for the best performance? That is much harder to decide. Which tempos are best? What phrasing nuances are the most appropriate? Which dynamic contrasts are the most accurate? And which of all these are closest to what the composer asks for in the score? Much harder to settle these issues, and in the end, it's such a delight that one doesn't really have to. Each recording can be enjoyed as a valid version. In the end, however, I'll choose ...to wait till I've heard the Solti before committing. At least on these three. I wish I had a Boult to compare. Maybe that'll be the next shootout.
Kory

Hana ML, Zu/Denon 103 Mk. II, Ortofon 2M Black, Accession MM/Elevator EXP/PSU-1 Enigma/Lautus interconnects, Apogee Duet II, SOTA Nova, CJ 17LS2, Adcom 7805, VTL MB 300 Deluxe, Infinity IRS Beta
PaulRS View Drop Down
Regular
Regular

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote PaulRS Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Jul 2019 at 8:35am
Originally posted by morris_minor morris_minor wrote:

Originally posted by PaulRS PaulRS wrote:

What other Planets recordings should i look for? I have never been an Andre Previn fan (until today i thought his music sort of "plods along") so which other conductors should i look for whose interpretation is even more powerful?  
Classical interpretations are hard to recommend because what appeals to one person might not to another, but here goes . . . LOL

In no particular order - 

Steinberg/Boston SO on DG
Boult/LPO on EMI
Mehta/Los Angles PO on Decca
Karajan/Vienna PO on Decca

My favourite Planets never made in to vinyl -
Handley/RPO on Tring (or the RPO's own CD label). This is a fabulous recording.

Thanks Bob!
I found a website "Peter's Planets" petersplanets.wordpress.com with a CD list where the fantastic to me Previn/LSO ranked 35 out of 83.
As you say everyone hears things differently and have their own preferences, but now i have to try other recordings to see if i agree.
I have other recordings by Boult and Mehta that i like so i will certainly look for them. 

Edited by PaulRS - 30 Jul 2019 at 9:06am
No Music, No Life!
Paul
PaulRS View Drop Down
Regular
Regular

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote PaulRS Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Jul 2019 at 8:37am
Originally posted by RichW RichW wrote:

I'll second Bob's recommendation for the Steinberg/Boston SO recording, although
I haven't heard the others yet.
Mars sounds very powerful with reverberant brass, but the personal highlights are Saturn & Neptune.
The female choir in Neptune is appropriately mystical!

Thanks Richard, the Steinberg is now on my want list!
I am so pleased i got the Accession, i am really enjoying my "new sound".

No Music, No Life!
Paul
PaulRS View Drop Down
Regular
Regular

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote PaulRS Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Jul 2019 at 8:53am
Originally posted by Kory Kory wrote:

This is a terrific question and of course a terrific work. My preferences always toggle between what I think is the best "sounding" recording and what I feel is the best "performance." Best performances are a bit harder to define than best sounding. For example, my favorite recording in terms of sound is the ORG 45 rpm version of Mehta's with the La Phil. It might be the best sounding recording of an orchestra I know of. It is simply stunningly spectacular, and makes my jaw drop every time I play it. I always use it to demonstrate my system to friends. It is what sold me so convincingly on the Accession. The separation of instruments and depth of field is a perfect demonstration for the Accession's virtues. A marriage made in heaven.

I also very much enjoy the Previn and LSO. I've heard so much about the Solti and Chicago performance on Mobile Fidelity and finally located a copy that is on its way as I type. So I'll soon know how it stacks up. It faces some pretty stiff competition, though, and I'll post the winner of the shootout in a few days.

But as for the best performance? That is much harder to decide. Which tempos are best? What phrasing nuances are the most appropriate? Which dynamic contrasts are the most accurate? And which of all these are closest to what the composer asks for in the score? Much harder to settle these issues, and in the end, it's such a delight that one doesn't really have to. Each recording can be enjoyed as a valid version. In the end, however, I'll choose ...to wait till I've heard the Solti before committing. At least on these three. I wish I had a Boult to compare. Maybe that'll be the next shootout.

Thanks Kory. 
I spent several hours last night analyzing my knowledge of classical music and decided i need to educate myself. I now know my early years were wasted, i have a mental image of a small me sitting by my grandmothers shoes pumping the bellows for the church pipe organ (my brain says it must have been electric but where does the image come from?), of her playing piano for her own pleasure and of my violin teacher (Mr. Farmer i think, just in case anyone else on this forum attended Worcestershire schools in the 1960's). 

Jaw drop says enough to me, Mehta is on the want list and thanks for letting me know there is a 45rpm version.

I am looking forward to the results of your shootout!

I note you use a Zu Denon 103R, i seem to be the only person on the planet that does not like this cartridge! Mine is stock not Zu so i will have to find someone locally who has the Zu version and compare...  
No Music, No Life!
Paul
Aussie Mick View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Aussie Mick Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 Jul 2019 at 10:40am
hi All,
  A few more left field suggestions...Bernstein with the New York Phil really should be heard by everyone. You might only want to hear it once, but it’s worth it. Some amazing sounds happening in the slow movements in particular. Easily available on discogs. Of course, shouldn’t we all have a recording of Holst himself conducting it, with the LSO? Tougher to find, but there’s a version on a WRC pressing still floating about. Pristine Classical have a remastered CD available - it sounds damn fine. 

Aside from that, yes to Boult/LSO, it’s awesome. 
Mehta for absolute recording quality definitely. 
I don’t mind Rattle/Berlin either, but CD only. 
The Steinberg has never quite captured me, although I can appreciate what’s happening. Same with the very famous Karajan version.

Music.  It’s the best.
Mick.
Rega RP8 - Apheta 2 - Accession MC Enigma PS -Solo ULDE (Focal Utopia) - PS Audio M700 - Fical Kanta No2
morris_minor View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote morris_minor Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Aug 2019 at 1:39pm
A recording of the Planets I really enjoy is one with organ and brass ensemble. It's hard not to mentally superimpose the proper orchestration over it when listening, but worth getting when you already have a good selection of "proper" Planets in your collection. Here is a (very rambling) piece about it:

Bob

Majestic DAC/pre-amp
Accession MC/Enigma, Accession MM, Reflex M, Elevator EXP, Era Gold V
Solo ULDE, Novo, Lautus USB and digital, Libran balanced, CuSat50
2 x Proprius + Spatia/Spatia Links
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 910111213 22>
  Share Topic