FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Welcome to the Graham Slee Audio Products Owners Forum

Open to all owners plus those contemplating the purchase of a Graham Slee HiFi System Components audio product and wishing to use this forum's loaner program: join here (Rules on posting can be found here)

This website along with trade marks Graham Slee and HiFi System Components are owned by Cadman Enterprises Ltd

Recommended Classical Recordings

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 56789 22>
Author
kgilroy View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kgilroy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Sep 2018 at 2:56pm
Can anyone recommend a vinyl recording of the Well-Tempered Clavier on piano? I have the Eurodisc set with Richter and love his playing but the audio quality is variable.
morris_minor View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote morris_minor Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Sep 2018 at 4:55pm
I have the Bernard Roberts recording of the WTC on Nimbus.

Bob

Majestic DAC/pre-amp
Accession MC/Enigma, Accession MM, Reflex M, Elevator EXP, Era Gold V
Solo ULDE, Novo, Lautus USB and digital, Libran balanced, CuSat50
2 x Proprius + Spatia/Spatia Links
Kory View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Kory Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Oct 2018 at 1:50am
In view of Debussy's 100th anniversary this year (of his death) I thought I'd recommend a brilliant recording of La Mer by the Boston Symphony, and that great french music interpreter, Charles Munch. It really is a terrific recording. Great soundstage width.

And as long as I'm thinking about Munch, I have to highly recommend his recording, again with Boston, of Berlioz overtures. These are just cracking brilliant. Fantastic playing and breathtaking tempos.

I know you'll love these when you get a chance.
Kory

Hana ML, Zu/Denon 103 Mk. II, Ortofon 2M Black, Accession MM/Elevator EXP/PSU-1 Enigma/Lautus interconnects, Apogee Duet II, SOTA Nova, CJ 17LS2, Adcom 7805, VTL MB 300 Deluxe, Infinity IRS Beta
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote morris_minor Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Oct 2018 at 8:51am
Kory - I'm guessing you're referring to the 1957 RCA recording? The only Munch/Boston recording I have on LP is Saint-Saëns Symphony 3 which is splendid. It was a great period for both performances and recordings. As well as Munch in Boston there was Fritz Reiner in Chicago of course. Another power combination!
Bob

Majestic DAC/pre-amp
Kory View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Kory Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Oct 2018 at 3:50pm
Bob,
Yes, it's the RCA recording. I have the 200 gram reissue. I have the Saint-Saens 3rd too, and I agree it's terrific. Munch and French were something. There was just some magic he had. Wonderful tempo concepts. That's what's the most fascinating to me. It's like Toscanini said, when asked the three most important tasks for a conductor, he answered. "Oh that's easy-1. tempo, 2. tempo, 3. tempo. That's what set's Munch's french legacy apart in my opinion, his tempi are so brilliant. Well, and like the Reiner recordings, a brilliant orchestra to realize all their ideas.
Kory

Hana ML, Zu/Denon 103 Mk. II, Ortofon 2M Black, Accession MM/Elevator EXP/PSU-1 Enigma/Lautus interconnects, Apogee Duet II, SOTA Nova, CJ 17LS2, Adcom 7805, VTL MB 300 Deluxe, Infinity IRS Beta
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote morris_minor Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Oct 2018 at 5:00pm
Kory - can I ask you, as a conductor, is the marked tempo in a piece always "right"? That is, does the composer always know best?

I've some pieces of music which I have multiple recordings of, and often the tempi from different conductors varies quite a lot. How far does an "interpretation" have to go to become just an ego let off the leash? (Sorry if this is a can of worms being slowly opened! Shocked).
Bob

Majestic DAC/pre-amp
Kory View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Kory Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Oct 2018 at 6:33am
Bob,
You have asked the ultimate question. It's a complicated answer, but I'll give it a go. 

First of all, we must separate out a couple of terms. Tempo is mainly indicated by general terms, most often in Italian, for categories of speed. Allegro (fast), Andante (slow), etc, with lots of other terms that indicate other tempos, like Presto(very fast), or modifiers like Molto Allegro(very fast). All well and good, but how fast is fast? Therein lies the rub. Starting with Beethoven, composers have sometimes indicated a metronome marking that gives a standard speed in addition to the Italian tempos marking. 

You'd think metronome markings would help, and they do sometimes, but not always. Here's an example. For the finale of his fourth symphony Beethoven wrote a tempo marking of Allegro ma non troppo (fast but not too much), but then added a metronome marking marking that is so fast it is totally unplayable as the notes are written. So what now? Everyone plays it slower, of course, and it's not the only example, either for Beethoven or other composers that followed. Even if it had been playable, it underscores that when it comes to interpretation, the composer is not the final word on his or her own compositional interpretations. Once the music is written, compositions are transferred to the realm of the interpreter, and great interpreters have their own valid insights. Two good example are the Stravinsky ballets conducted by Stravinsky, and Copland's music that he conducted. Nether were very good conductors, and so their recordings are wonderfully insightful, but not the best performances. It turns out other conductors have done better. 

SO without belaboring this too much further, I think the answer to your question is that there is sufficient wiggle room within a general tempo classification for many variations of tempo. "Fast" is too vague, though everyone will know if it starts feeling slow instead. It's not ego that is being displayed when a conductor sets a tempo, it's rather a personal conviction the conductor has arrived at that is saying, "this is how the music feels right to me." Or, "this is the speed I feel best represents what the composer intended." 

I think it's fair to say that different conductors simply have different convictions about what it is to be faithful to the composer's intent, but most all pick solutions within the boundaries of the composer's original tempo categories. I think of it similarly as when you hear different actors recite the same lines of Shakespeare. 

There's simply lots of room for individual nuance within these masterpieces, and the great fun of listening is to hear the different choices the artists are making. And then to realize that the music is so great that it survives all our feeble attempts to get it right. 

I hope this helps, and sorry to be so long winded about it. You've lifted the lid on a very, very big kettle of fish. But I'm always happy to keep talking. I've got lots of examples of controversies, etc. 

Thanks for asking.

Kory
Kory

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 56789 22>
  Share Topic