FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Welcome to the Graham Slee Audio Products Owners Forum

Open to all owners plus those contemplating the purchase of a Graham Slee HiFi System Components audio product and wishing to use this forum's loaner program: join here (Rules on posting can be found here)

This website along with trade marks Graham Slee and HiFi System Components are owned by Cadman Enterprises Ltd

Creating CD's from FLAC files?

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author
earwiggo View Drop Down
Regular
Regular

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote earwiggo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Creating CD's from FLAC files?
    Posted: 14 Mar 2015 at 9:58pm
Apologies if this has been covered on this forum before but I can not find it, but I ripped lots of cd's via DBPoweramp in FLAC, got rid of some of the actual cd's (or lost them!) and now want to copy some of the FLAC files back on to a re-writeable cd, to listen to in the car. Does anyone know of any software that would allow to let me do this, prefereably for free! I have a laptop with Windows 7 Home premium and it has a cd/dvd tray?Wink

Many thanks

Steve
...If only I knew that yesterday!
suede View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote suede Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Mar 2015 at 10:17pm
Hi Steve,
I've often used foobar2000 when burning audio CDs from FLAC files, it works very well. It's also a very versatile digital music player if you haven't got it already?
Proprius, Reflex M, Solo UL, Bitzie, CuSats & Spatia
---------------------------------
Johan
BackinBlack View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BackinBlack Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Mar 2015 at 10:37pm
You could also try dbpoweramp companion program CDwriter. https://www.dbpoweramp.com/cdwriter.htm
Windows also has a built in CD writer.
I create a playlist of titles I want to burn to CD, decide on the format, and use dBpoweramp batch converter to put them in the required format - usually mp3 for use in the car; then burn a data disc, not CD audio as a data disc holds far more and can be read by most systems.
Hope this helps.
Just listen, if it sounds good to you, enjoy it.
tg [RIP] View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tg [RIP] Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Mar 2015 at 5:42am

There is a freeware burn software called Ashampoo that will create a standard Audio CD from FLAC files.

I just tested it with a complete album which is now playing in my CD player.

Check the options or it will a:/ apply volume levelling, b:/ insert 2 second gaps between tracks.

The dBpoweramp CD writer only works with 32 bit versions of dBpoweramp. 

Ians tip re mp3 is good if your car player can handle that.

Tony G
BackinBlack View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BackinBlack Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Mar 2015 at 10:32am
Tony, I've not yet made the move to 64 bit, my laptop works quicker than I can read or type! But seriously, I am aware that not all my current software is 64 bit compatible. CDwriter is an older program and no longer supported, but works fine. Foobar is probably the simplest and most reliable.
There is plenty of software to burn discs, important factors are getting all the id tags correct and ensuring that the software will use the format you want; eg iTunes and Windows will by default use their own formats rather than mp3 or flac. not all players will cope with Apple lossless.
I also prefer to use RW discs, we all make mistakes!
Just listen, if it sounds good to you, enjoy it.
Chris Firth View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Chris Firth Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Mar 2015 at 11:01am
Burner XP is free and very simple to use https://cdburnerxp.se/en/home
It also automatically decompresses FLAC files back to WAV during the process, so there's no other messing around with the files required.
tg [RIP] View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tg [RIP] Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Mar 2015 at 11:21am

Ian, my post was for Steve who seemed to want something to make an audio CD from FLAC files directly, something which the software I indicated will do with no fuss - eg tell it you want an audio CD and show it the FLAC files and away it goes.  

Foobar may well do that also, although I use it as a player I have never used it for burning discs.  

I only included the mention of CDwriter being restricted to 32bit since he gave no indication which version of W7 he was using and it might have been an issue.  

Since my thoughts were on creating a standard audio CD, the issues of tags and formats, which for a data CD are, as you say, worthy of consideration, were of no consequence.

FWIW I still use XP and Nero 6 for most burning as I still use other software that will not run on W7 and later, although I maintain a multiboot system and use W7 64 when I need the memory and hardware features that are not available in XP and just installed W10 preview on another disc to check it out.

Tony G
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
  Share Topic