FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Welcome to the Graham Slee Audio Products Owners Forum

Open to all owners plus those contemplating the purchase of a Graham Slee HiFi System Components audio product and wishing to use this forum's loaner program: join here (Rules on posting can be found here)

This website along with trade marks Graham Slee and HiFi System Components are owned by Cadman Enterprises Ltd

Superlux HD681 Evo

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 10>
Author
Chris Firth View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Chris Firth Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Superlux HD681 Evo
    Posted: 29 Jan 2015 at 5:25pm
I have been fortunate to borrow a friend's Sennheiser HD650s for a fairly protracted period, and in the months I used them I came to appreciate their strengths.
Ultimately I cannot live with the recessed treble quality the stock HD650 has (it's where the HD650 falls down).

So I returned to my Goldring DR150s and balance was restored.

Now one brand that gets mentioned in quite a few places on t'interweb is Superlux.
At least the HD681 is mentioned all over the place, so I started to investigate where I could get a pair.
The consensus on the HD681 is that it's a bit hot in the HF department, but a small degree of modification corrects the balance and you end up with a killer set of headphones.

I managed to find a source for the HD681 in Germany, but I also found out that the HD681 had received further development to become the HD681 Evo, and they had corrected the fierce top end.
Intrigued I ordered a pair of the HD691 Evos, costing the grand sum of €37.00, and that included shipping.
The first pair got lost in transit, so a second pair were dispatched, leaving Germany on Monday, and landing at my front door on Wednesday.
And I was bowled over with their performance right from the off.

For €37.00 you don't get fantastic build quality, although they're built well enough, but you do get comfort enough for extended listening sessions, and they're an involving listen too.
To say I'm pleased with them doesn't cover it.
They get a recommendation from me Big smile

Stewboss View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Stewboss Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Jan 2015 at 7:04pm
I might try a pair at this price!
Equipment choices:

Playstation 3 SACD, Bitzie DAC, Meridian Explorer DAC, Lautus USB cable, HD250-II, HD650
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Chris Firth Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Jan 2015 at 7:43pm
This is where I got them http://www.thomann.de/gb/superlux_hd_681_evo_bk.htm?sid=8bec65f63fdff627451c3fff9a04e2eb

Edited by Chris Firth - 29 Jan 2015 at 7:44pm
mitch65 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mitch65 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Jan 2015 at 8:23pm
Got to be worth a punt at that price Wink
Greg

Rega Planer 3
Gram Amp 2
Audiolab 8000A
Auralic Aries Mini
Russell K 50
Dave Friday View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dave Friday Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Jan 2015 at 11:28pm
Just ordered a set.. Review later!
lp12,oc9mk3,ca610p,krimson40watt pa,kef105.4
morris_minor View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote morris_minor Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Jan 2015 at 8:32am
Another set ordered - in footballer's white Shocked (going to try and wean daughter off Apple earbuds!).

I hope you're on commission, Chris! Wink
Bob

Majestic DAC/pre-amp
Accession MC/Enigma, Accession MM, Reflex M, Elevator EXP, Era Gold V
Solo ULDE, Novo, Lautus USB and digital, Libran balanced, CuSat50
2 x Proprius + Spatia/Spatia Links
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Chris Firth Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Jan 2015 at 1:09pm
I just hope you like them!

Mine have been running for a couple of days now (I leave them on permanently at the moment, streaming Paradise Radio's 320kbps stream when I'm not actually listening to anything in particular), and I like 'em more each time I put them on.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 10>
  Share Topic