FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Welcome to the Graham Slee Audio Products Owners Forum

Open to all owners plus those contemplating the purchase of a Graham Slee HiFi System Components audio product and wishing to use this forum's loaner program: join here (Rules on posting can be found here)

This website along with trade marks Graham Slee and HiFi System Components are owned by Cadman Enterprises Ltd

Amplifier feet and racks

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 89101112 14>
Author
Richardl60 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Richardl60 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Mar 2017 at 3:19pm
After more listening I have reached final conclusions re my Turntable.

The same comments apply as set out previously compared with the Vibrapods, not huge but the vibrapods did sound 'warmer' not to say the Les Davis sounded cold but slightly better, perhaps a little greater clarity around female vocals too.

Next to try the Les Davis under the normal suspension feet; these have internal suspension already.

Music does flow a little better, a little more poise and control to the lower registers and a little faster sounding. Vocals again a a bit more natural and easy and a bit less splashy (cymbals on Donna Summer) and more natural.

I suspect if a test was done with someone unfamiliar with my system sound the differences would not be picked up.

Overall, for me and with my turntable this does represent a slight improvement. How would I quantity?

Nowhere near mains or speaker cables or separate main feed or Power HUB, a lot less than interconnects I have tried or socket change or change to XLR from RCA or mains cable upgrades to or from the PSU.

Possibly the nearest I can come to is the Figure of 8 swap around, though as I could not tell on one of my two boxes so maybe a little greater than that from memory.

On to my CD player next (though finding it difficult to find an excuse to switch vinyl off at the moment)!

Aussie Mick View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Aussie Mick Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Mar 2017 at 11:02pm
I'm still waiting for mine to arrive. I think they travelled across the oceans faster than our local carrier could do around 650km on land. Are they using camels? Information says a Monday delivery.

I'm interested to know if you think they do a better job under lighter weight equipment, especially gear that doesn't have built in resonance control of its own. Further to that, I'm dead keen to know if they're more effective on certain surfaces, glass, MDF, etc...

I have an old glass shelved rack I've used with a piece of MDF between shelf and equipment and that makes a difference, some times positive, sometimes negative. I'm starting to feel nerdy about this...

Mick.
Rega RP8 - Apheta 2 - Accession MC Enigma PS -Solo ULDE (Focal Utopia) - PS Audio M700 - Fical Kanta No2
Drewan77 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Drewan77 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Mar 2017 at 8:00am
I recall asking Graham a few years ago about the wisdom of offering a speaker mounting bracket for Proprius and he replied along the lines that for solid state electronics, audio quality should be unaffected by vibration (not so turntables of course). 

That reassured me, firstly because I rate Graham very highly as an engineer and secondly because, with any isolation products I had purchased, I'm not sure that any of them had anything more than a placebo benefit. 
Older than I once was, younger than I'll be
Andrew
Richardl60 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Richardl60 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Mar 2017 at 9:13am
Sadly I use glass shelves mick but cannot comment on other materials.

Initial trials on cd were less positive but will update after more listening.

Previous trials on cd and amp did show differences between different supports or feet which were not placebo but will defer further observations intil tried on properly.
DaveG View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DaveG Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Mar 2017 at 9:54am
Turntables can clearly be affected by supports as can speakers. Valves can be microphonic. The rest - especially solid state amps, I think the benefits are mostly in our heads. I mean why would active speakers be a thing if putting the amps in the cabinets adversely affected sound quality? Maybe if you live on a fault line or something you'd have problems.

Edited by DaveG - 26 Mar 2017 at 9:55am
Dave

Michell Gorbe + HR PSU -> Cadenza Bronze -> SME V -> Elevator -> Accession -> Proprius -> B&W CM6 s2 | Cusat 50 & Spatia cables ->
morris_minor View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote morris_minor Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Mar 2017 at 12:40pm
I'm listening to my Harbeth actives right now. Dynamic and detailed. What's not to like? Wink 
Bob

Majestic DAC/pre-amp
Accession MC/Enigma, Accession MM, Reflex M, Elevator EXP, Era Gold V
Solo ULDE, Novo, Lautus USB and digital, Libran balanced, CuSat50
2 x Proprius + Spatia/Spatia Links
Aussie Mick View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Aussie Mick Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Mar 2017 at 3:00am
Hi All,
    My Les Davis discs arrived yesterday and I was fortunate enough to have four hours to listen and evaluate! It's great when I get the kids to bed early. Right off the bat I'm going to say that there was a positive change to my system, and here's my overall thought (having purchased two boxes, totalling AU$180 including postage);

If I could've spent an extra $180 on my system as a whole and benefitted in this way, I'd I've said yes please, take my money.

Specifics are interesting. Not much "hifi" change to speak of, in fact I didn't notice a difference to soundstage or texture, etc, or obvious detail for that matter. I tried individual components at first and noticed changes, mostly clarity in the midrange (for which glass shelves are prone). The same effect on the CD transport, too. Subtle but repeatable she removing and reinserting them.

However, I had enough to do most of my system, so I did. Turntable, transport, Majestic and Reflex M, and a pair tucked under the turntable RCA leads where they drape over the edge of the glass shelf. Well, the effect certainly is cumulative and the difference was now very clear. My system sounded really "quiet", the dynamic range enhanced, and on CD that upper midrange and treble glare was removed completely.

Tonight I have two music loving friends coming over, both of whom have heard my system many times. I'll do the same process for them. I'm quite happy to be told I've been sucked in and that I need to get back in my box.

I'll report back,
Mick.
Rega RP8 - Apheta 2 - Accession MC Enigma PS -Solo ULDE (Focal Utopia) - PS Audio M700 - Fical Kanta No2
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 89101112 14>
  Share Topic