FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Welcome to the Graham Slee Audio Products Owners Forum

Open to all owners plus those contemplating the purchase of a Graham Slee HiFi System Components audio product and wishing to use this forum's loaner program: join here (Rules on posting can be found here)

This website along with trade marks Graham Slee and HiFi System Components are owned by Cadman Enterprises Ltd

Just joined

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123>
Author
Ash View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ash Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Dec 2014 at 3:56pm
Originally posted by Art frames Art frames wrote:

The thing I look for most is how the sound makes me feel. Analogue seems to make me happier, my feet tap and I smile. 

But I am waffling.

Welcome. Sincere waffling like this is good.
We do not see things as they are. We see things as we are.
Drewan77 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Drewan77 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Dec 2014 at 4:02pm
Another welcome Peter, from me

I listen to and enjoy all music formats and have found that the Majestic works wonders with digital sources, producing a smooth analogue-like sound unlike any other DAC I have owned or heard previously. Inputs are so versatile that you can use coax, optical or usb digital and also run an analogue turntable through via RCA analogue. It's well worth borrowing one on the loan scheme
Older than I once was, younger than I'll be
Andrew
BackinBlack View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BackinBlack Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Dec 2014 at 4:16pm
Originally posted by Drewan77 Drewan77 wrote:

Another welcome Peter, from me

I listen to and enjoy all music formats and have found that the Majestic works wonders with digital sources, producing a smooth analogue-like sound unlike any other DAC I have owned or heard previously. Inputs are so versatile that you can use coax, optical or usb digital and also run an analogue turntable through via RCA analogue. It's well worth borrowing one on the loan scheme

+1Thumbs Up
Just listen, if it sounds good to you, enjoy it.
morris_minor View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote morris_minor Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Dec 2014 at 5:01pm
Another welcome from me, Peter . . .

If you have a hard drive full of vinyl rips you could do a lot worse than connect it to a little Raspberry Pi mini-computer. A few of us use it for streaming, but you can plug in a USB drive too. The big advantage of trying this is its cost - or lack of it! "Cheap-as-chips" comes to mind!

Bob

Majestic DAC/pre-amp
Accession MC/Enigma, Accession MM, Reflex M, Elevator EXP, Era Gold V
Solo ULDE, Novo, Lautus USB and digital, Libran balanced, CuSat50
2 x Proprius + Spatia/Spatia Links
msphil View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote msphil Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Dec 2014 at 6:01pm
Originally posted by Art frames Art frames wrote:

Johan

The things that particularly interest me are the best ways to avoid the (in my opinion) harsh sound of some digital which is just as annoying as the bad quality of some vinyl which drove me to CDs. But having latterly moved back to vinyl I realise how nasty some CDs are and how bad they sound. I am also finding vinyl is not universally wonderful with quite a few recent purchases being disappointing. 

I have some lovely vinyl (with a rejuvenated linn turntable) and some lovely vinyl rips on my Mac desktop prepared by friends and myself (but in a different room). And am trying to decide on the best way to enjoy them without turning my hifi into my computer and vice versa. I am not sure I buy into streaming, I tried it and wasn't totally convinced but I am in no hurry and it is getting better. I have burned lots of the vinyl rips into DVD audio discs which work very well (using a Marantz bluray/sacd/dvd-a player). They sound much better than any digital downloads, SACDs etc...to me.

The thing I look for most is how the sound makes me feel. Analogue seems to make me happier, my feet tap and I smile. 

But I am waffling.

Thank you for the welcome

I can certainly recommend the Majestic for digital sources. It is superb! It produces a valve like, analogue sound with bags of detail and musicality. I was so impressed I bought two. One for the bedroom (for use with Grado PS 1000 headphones and the Solo ULDE) and one for the lounge with a Squeezebox touch streaming music  to the Majestic from an Apple Mac, a pair of Proprius monobloc amplifiers and a pair of PMC Touch 8 speakers. Both systems, especially the one in the lounge, sound fantastic. With both systems I use GSP interconnects and speaker cables.

The local PMC speaker representative has told me that my system sounds better than the demonstration rig that they use for hi-fi shows (costing in excess of £15,000! It's certainly the best hi-fi system I have heard. If you have any doubts about what I'm saying try borrowing a Majestic (and other items) from the loans scheme.

'You are, through your soul not your body, a human being.'
Fatmangolf View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Fatmangolf Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Dec 2014 at 6:32pm
Welcome aboard Peter. You've joined lots of enthusiastic and helpful music lovers as you'll know already.
Jon

Open mind and ears whilst owning GSP Genera, Accession M, Accession MC, Elevator EXP, Solo ULDE, Proprius amps, Cusat50 cables, Lautus digital cable, Spatia cables and links, and a Majestic DAC.
Art frames View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Art frames Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Dec 2014 at 6:41pm
Thank you. lots of ideas, which seem to point to retrying my squeezebox but with a majestic dac. I also have an old mac mini to rig up. I have put lots of music on a portable hard drive and can stream via apple TV (but that is mostly for my sons to watch YouTube)

I didn't try the touch through a dac. As I didn't have one at the time. I also didn't have ethernet to the hifi (I fixed that recently too). So maybe a retry of streaming would be in order. 

I do have a nice dac now, not the majestic. Graham wasn't making one at the time I checked. 

I read through a huge discussion before he did (admittedly a while ago) whilst I was trying to make the squeezebox (since gifted to my son) work nicely. That discussion I presume became the first dac. 

Things move on very quickly. 
Peter
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123>
  Share Topic