FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Welcome to the Graham Slee Audio Products Owners Forum

Open to all owners plus those contemplating the purchase of a Graham Slee HiFi System Components audio product and wishing to use this forum's loaner program: join here (Rules on posting can be found here)

This website along with trade marks Graham Slee and HiFi System Components are owned by Cadman Enterprises Ltd

Raspberry Pi streaming

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 3233343536 42>
Author
BackinBlack View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BackinBlack Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 May 2017 at 1:48pm
Originally posted by ICL1P ICL1P wrote:

Originally posted by BackinBlack BackinBlack wrote:

Hi Ifor,
I think you'll find MoOde easier to use ...

There seems to be a lot more to confuse me!

Just take each section in the configure tab in turn - Network (done), System, Audio, MPD settings accessed from within Audio then sources.

The advanced kernels are worth playing with, I use Advanced-LL with performance and FIFO settings as Tim recommended to me..

Where do I find this?
System Configuration - 2nd section - system modifications - Linux Kernels then CPU Governor then MPD scheduler policy.

On the RPi 3 it's also worth disabling the WiFi if you can run cabled.

Fully cabled, so already done.

I really like the 320k BBC (and other) streams, ...

The list of stations is vast. Is there a way to select a few radio stations to a favourites list?

On the Playback screen first clear the current playlist,(click the down arrow in the top left of the screen to open menu) then, in the Library screen select required stations by clicking on the "hamburger" to the right of the station bar - add to playlist. In Playback screen open menu again, at the pottom of the screen there will be a box where you can name the playlist, which will then appear in the Library.

Remember that you may have to refresh your browser screen to see the changes, use "Refresh" in the menu at the top right of any screen.
Also when changing setting in configuration a reboot is required after some actions, there will be an onscreen message, but patience is required as sometimes it can take a while for things to happen.

I hope that helps,
Happy configuring and listening
Ian
Just listen, if it sounds good to you, enjoy it.
ICL1P View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ICL1P Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 May 2017 at 3:38pm
Thanks Ian.
Ifor
=====
Reflex M & ACCESSION M, CuSat50, Majestic DAC, a Proprius pair.
jwatson View Drop Down
Regular
Regular

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jwatson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 May 2017 at 5:20am

I use Advanced-LL with performance and FIFO settings as Tim recommended to me. 

Hello Ian,

Is it possible for you to share the settings you use with the LL kernel?  I switched to MoOde a couple of months ago from Volumio.  I prefer Volumio's GUI but it's been very slow in bumping the kernel up to > 4.4.19 required to support the HifiBerry Digi+ Pro.  I use this with a local (USB) SSD, S/PIDF into a Majestic and have been very happy with the results. 

Aside from the Digi + Pro support I'd be hard pressed to choose between Volumio and MoOde, both were easy to set up and worked straight out of the box for me so I'd encourage anyone tempted to give it a go.

James
"I bought some more old vinyl today 'cos old vinyl won't ever let you down"
Majestic DAC -> {Proprius -> Tannoy Stirling | Solo UL -> HD820}

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote BackinBlack Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 May 2017 at 1:24pm
Hi James,
Screenshot of System Settings and MPD config:

Any other settings?

Ian

jwatson View Drop Down
Regular
Regular

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jwatson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 May 2017 at 6:42pm
Thanks Ian,

I've just applied the settings, it's too early to say if they'll make a difference yet but fingers crossed....

Kind regards

James
jwatson View Drop Down
Regular
Regular

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jwatson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 May 2017 at 8:44am
Hello Ian,

Following up from yesterday’s post, I had a pleasant evening’s listening after making the changes you suggested.  I'd agree that the changes do indeed make an audible difference but I'd be hard pressed to say what exactly they were. I'm just basing this on the fact that I ended up listening for much longer than usual and am as a result really tired today.  Node 2 (DiN44) sounded particularly good and sounded like a room full of big old analogue synths instead of a recording of a room full of big old analogue synths.  

I actually prefer Volumio's GUI (and also the fact that it's open source) but MoOde does permit access to the lower levels of the Pi's audio capabilities so I'll probably end up sticking with it.

Kind regards

James

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BackinBlack Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 May 2017 at 9:40am
Hi James,
I would agree that the differences are subtle to say the least, it really comes down to which you prefer. As you observe prolonged listening without fatigue is a good indicator that things are "right".
The relative merits of Volumio, Rune and MoOde are also a matter of personal preference, In their earlier versions I was never really drawn to Volumio, preferring Rune. I gave MoOde serious consideration about 10 months ago swapping back and forth between it and Rune. MoOde won due to a combination of better stability, support and a sound I preferred.

Happy Listening
Ian
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 3233343536 42>
  Share Topic