FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Welcome to the Graham Slee Audio Products Owners Forum

Open to all owners plus those contemplating the purchase of a Graham Slee HiFi System Components audio product and wishing to use this forum's loaner program: join here (Rules on posting can be found here)

This website along with trade marks Graham Slee and HiFi System Components are owned by Cadman Enterprises Ltd

Raspberry Pi streaming

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 42>
Author
morris_minor View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote morris_minor Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Raspberry Pi streaming
    Posted: 24 Sep 2014 at 5:28pm
A big thanks to ICL1P (Ifor) for dropping in this afternoon and bringing his Raspberry Pi/Digi for me to audition.

It took all of 5 minutes to get the device up and running on my system taking music files from my Mac and streaming to the Majestic (in place of a Cambridge Audio NP30).

It took less time to convince me that I need to get one (well, two actually) to replace my CA kit which has never really impressed. Since both the NP30 and the Stream Magic 6 feed external DACs half the functionality is redundant, and the resale value of both could probably fund around 8 Pi/Digis.

In terms of sound, it was as good as the DAC, which, of course, in the Majestic's case is truly excellent. With browser and app options for controlling the Pi (running Volumio or Rune) do you really need anything else? A big case with knobs and a fancy display? (Not that the CA kit has anywhere near a fancy display).

You have to think that the Hi-Fi manufacturer's approach to audio streaming (GSP excepted!) is to put a premium price on the kit to help their bottom line - and dress it up with marketing-speak to justify it. The success of Slim Devices' Squeezeboxes was due, in part, to them being priced as computer peripherals, not hifi. With the R Pi the wheel seems to have turned full circle. . . 
Bob

Majestic DAC/pre-amp
Accession MC/Enigma, Accession MM, Reflex M, Elevator EXP, Era Gold V
Solo ULDE, Novo, Lautus USB and digital, Libran balanced, CuSat50
2 x Proprius + Spatia/Spatia Links
Drewan77 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Drewan77 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Sep 2014 at 6:55pm
This is very interesting Bob, the more I read about the Pi/Digi combo the more intrigued I am for my own system

Would this work streaming music wirelessly from a NAS server in another room and if so, at what resolution for FLAC files (or does the Pi need to be connected by ethernet cable)? Maybe Ifor/Ian or another Pi user could answer if you don't know
Older than I once was, younger than I'll be
Andrew
ICL1P View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ICL1P Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Sep 2014 at 7:02pm
Originally posted by Drewan77 Drewan77 wrote:

This is very interesting Bob, the more I read about the Pi/Digi combo the more intrigued I am for my own system

Would this work streaming music wirelessly from a NAS server in another room and if so, at what resolution for FLAC files (or does the Pi need to be connected by ethernet cable)? Maybe Ifor/Ian or another Pi user could answer if you don't know

Andrew, I've avoid wireless (you would need a wifi dongle for the Pi) because it doesn't work well in my house. My Pi is connected by Ethernet and Homeplugs to an an external hard disk connected to my iMac in a different room.
Ifor
=====
Reflex M & ACCESSION M, CuSat50, Majestic DAC, a Proprius pair.
Drewan77 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Drewan77 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Sep 2014 at 7:09pm
Thanks Ifor....that could pose a challenge because the music room is in an extension with the original outside wall of the house between it and the hall (where the server sits) so running ethernet is going to be difficult. I suppose homeplugs might be possible but the music room has a dedicated ring main not running via the consumer unit and I am not even sure the link would work

Edited by Drewan77 - 24 Sep 2014 at 7:10pm
Older than I once was, younger than I'll be
Andrew
ICL1P View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ICL1P Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Sep 2014 at 8:10pm
In your situation I would be drilling through the wall and putting an Ethernet cable through. My wall is two foot thick and then I would have to circumnavigate a fireplace.
Ifor
=====
Reflex M & ACCESSION M, CuSat50, Majestic DAC, a Proprius pair.
Graham Slee View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group
Retired

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Graham Slee Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Sep 2014 at 11:10pm
Good stuff! Hoping to be joining you in Pi streaming shortly.

So it sounds good into the Maj? Using coax? Or optical? What resolutions are you trying? Interested to know.

Graham
That none should be able to buy or sell without a smartphone and the knowledge in how to use apps
morris_minor View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote morris_minor Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Sep 2014 at 12:02am
It was a fairly quick test - more a proof of concept, so I didn't explicitly try hi-res files. Connection to Majestic was coax Lautus.
Bob

Majestic DAC/pre-amp
Accession MC/Enigma, Accession MM, Reflex M, Elevator EXP, Era Gold V
Solo ULDE, Novo, Lautus USB and digital, Libran balanced, CuSat50
2 x Proprius + Spatia/Spatia Links
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 42>
  Share Topic