FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Welcome to the Graham Slee Audio Products Owners Forum

Open to all owners plus those contemplating the purchase of a Graham Slee HiFi System Components audio product and wishing to use this forum's loaner program: join here (Rules on posting can be found here)

This website along with trade marks Graham Slee and HiFi System Components are owned by Cadman Enterprises Ltd

Class A burn in?

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123>
Author
16s View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 16s Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Jul 2014 at 9:42pm
Originally posted by RichW RichW wrote:

Many years ago I owned some 'Class A' monoblocks & never left them on all the time as they got very hot - worryingly so in hot weather. Couldn't see the point in leaving them on permanently.

Thanks for a simple answer Rich
Rich

Michell Gyrodec SE, Michell Tecnoarm, Ortofon 2M Black, Systemdek IIx 900, RB300, 2M Blue, Rega Fono mkII
Fatmangolf View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Fatmangolf Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Jul 2014 at 9:49pm
One of flatmates in the eighties had a MF "class A" amp. It was effectively an enormous heatsink that was quickly too hot to touch, the music sounded pretty good to be fair.

I've owned a pair of Proprius amps (class AB designed by Graham Slee)for a couple of years now, they don't overheat, and they make my music sound wonderful.

I liked Ash's quip.

Jon

Open mind and ears whilst owning GSP Genera, Accession M, Accession MC, Elevator EXP, Solo ULDE, Proprius amps, Cusat50 cables, Lautus digital cable, Spatia cables and links, and a Majestic DAC.
16s View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 16s Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Jul 2014 at 9:58pm
Call it what you like 'class'... Or otherwise. All that matters is if it sounds good.   But fair play to Graham for calling BS on some of this stuff.
Rich

Michell Gyrodec SE, Michell Tecnoarm, Ortofon 2M Black, Systemdek IIx 900, RB300, 2M Blue, Rega Fono mkII
discrete badger View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote discrete badger Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Jul 2014 at 8:49pm
My amp is 240wpc but class A only for the first watt or so. The remainder of the power comes from an arrangement reminiscent of the "current dumper" from the 1970's but instead of a class AB amp, here there is a pulse width modulation (i.e. digital switching) amp. 

To my ears it sounds a lot better than the "class A" behemoths that heat many listening rooms and shows that a clever design can beat brute force.
Graham Slee View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group
Retired

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Graham Slee Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Jul 2014 at 9:05pm
Originally posted by discrete badger discrete badger wrote:

My amp is 240wpc but class A only for the first watt or so. The remainder of the power comes from an arrangement reminiscent of the "current dumper" from the 1970's but instead of a class AB amp, here there is a pulse width modulation (i.e. digital switching) amp. 

To my ears it sounds a lot better than the "class A" behemoths that heat many listening rooms and shows that a clever design can beat brute force.

Thumbs Up
That none should be able to buy or sell without a smartphone and the knowledge in how to use apps
16s View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 16s Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Jul 2014 at 10:47pm
Originally posted by discrete badger discrete badger wrote:

And do you switch it off when you are not listening to it?
Rich

Graham Slee View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group
Retired

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Graham Slee Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Jul 2014 at 7:18am
16s, having had to comply with certified bodies regarding electrical safety, I understand that it is the responsibility of the manufacturer (and he/she alone) to ensure your safety. Even if your product is not certified by a approved test house, for it to be sold in this country, it must carry the CE mark. The CE mark is an indication by the manufacturer - self certification - that the product is safe, but only in the opinion of that manufacturer.

The reason for this preamble? If it gets quite hot there is a chance of electrical failure, and some failure mechanisms have been known not to operate safety devices (most likely a fuse), and to lead to some misadventure.

Therefore any responsible person should tell you that if it gets too hot to touch, switch it off when you're not in a position to supervise it.
That none should be able to buy or sell without a smartphone and the knowledge in how to use apps
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123>
  Share Topic