FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Welcome to the Graham Slee Audio Products Owners Forum

Open to all owners plus those contemplating the purchase of a Graham Slee HiFi System Components audio product and wishing to use this forum's loaner program: join here (Rules on posting can be found here)

This website along with trade marks Graham Slee and HiFi System Components are owned by Cadman Enterprises Ltd

GSP Preamp

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 35363738>
Author
Graham Slee View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group
Retired

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Graham Slee Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Apr 2016 at 1:20pm
As Bob was wondering what is happening to the preamp (see Designing a Rega Rim Drive topic) I can announce that I now have three sample cases for the remote control.

One in particular stands out as being stylish enough and more importantly workable. However, it only takes 2 x AA cells which limits the power supply to 3 volts.

This causes a further problem as the encoder works down to 2.4 volts but has the steering diodes (which select the right switch) in series with it. Therefore the minimum supply is 3 volts because diodes drop 0.6 volts and 2.4 + 0.6 = 3. With me so far?

Therefore it will only work on fresh batteries which is a bit of a sod. And it won't work at all using rechargeables.

One way around this is to use a type of diode called a Schottky which has a smaller voltage drop and if one can be found that gets it down to 0.2 volts, then battery life will be considerably extended - but it still won't work with rechargable batteries because they are 1.2 volts, not the 1.5 volts each that will be required.

If machined out (something that John C shook is head at) it could take an E-cell (PP3 to us Brits) and then it would last "forever" (or seem that way). But machining adds cost and is a lot of messing about.

Oh what fun designing stuff is Cool

That none should be able to buy or sell without a smartphone and the knowledge in how to use apps
morris_minor View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote morris_minor Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Apr 2016 at 2:19pm
Thanks for the update, Graham! Smile
Bob

Majestic DAC/pre-amp
Accession MC/Enigma, Accession MM, Reflex M, Elevator EXP, Era Gold V
Solo ULDE, Novo, Lautus USB and digital, Libran balanced, CuSat50
2 x Proprius + Spatia/Spatia Links
Paul H View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Paul H Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Apr 2016 at 9:50pm
If it were easy it would be boring and you'd get no sense of achievement. That's what I tell myself when things get frustratingly difficult to sort :)

Edited by Paul H - 29 Apr 2016 at 9:51pm
ProJect 1Xpression Carbon UKX w/ Ortofon 2M Black; Arcam Alpha 7 CD player; Graham Slee Revelation M pre; Denon PMA 355UK amp; Epos K1 speakers; Blue Jeans LC-1 interconnects. Room: 2.9m x 3.1m.
Graham Slee View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group
Retired

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Graham Slee Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 May 2016 at 9:16pm
Before designing the preamp circuit for real, the power supply has to be sorted out.

It is here that I'm thinking of making a special PSU1 which outputs +/-24 volts and 30V (nom.). If successsful it can also be used as a 48V phantom supply for microphones, finding use in pro-audio.

In fact the circuit is drawn up, it just requires prototyping.

After that, the preamp circuit can be designed.
That none should be able to buy or sell without a smartphone and the knowledge in how to use apps
Gijo1977 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gijo1977 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Dec 2017 at 1:45am
Graham,

This thread seems to have run pretty cold now for 12 months or so. Have there been any updates or progress towards a pre? I am interested in the Proprius, however I would need to also find myself a good preamp to deal with them and the source material (Phono and CD).

I was considering a passive pre, but then found this thread and my interest was sparked :)

Thanks for any updates

Dan
tg [RIP] View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tg [RIP] Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Dec 2017 at 5:32am
Daniel,
if you only need one analogue input you might be shocked by how well the majestic DAC performs as a preamp.
Tony G
Gijo1977 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gijo1977 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Dec 2017 at 5:53am
Tony,

I am actually scared how well it will perform ;) I cant really afford a Majestic on top of the Proprius, should I head in that direction.

I will inevitably be contacting Keith for a loaner I guess, but I was hoping to find a good step into separates without having to get that Majestic.

Any recommendations for a good vintage or passive pre would also be taken ;)

Dan
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 35363738>
  Share Topic