FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Welcome to the Graham Slee Audio Products Owners Forum

Open to all owners plus those contemplating the purchase of a Graham Slee HiFi System Components audio product and wishing to use this forum's loaner program: join here (Rules on posting can be found here)

This website along with trade marks Graham Slee and HiFi System Components are owned by Cadman Enterprises Ltd

Sennheiser HD700 v HD800

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 5>
Author
RichW View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote RichW Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Sennheiser HD700 v HD800
    Posted: 12 Jun 2014 at 11:33am
Hi all,
I wonder if anyone has compared the HD700 with the HD800?
I currently own a set of 700s but feel a little underwhelmed by them & they are
soon off & the speakers back on.
How do the 800s compare?
Thanks.

Richard

Majestic/Enigma, Accession MM & MC.
Gary View Drop Down
Regular
Regular

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gary Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Jun 2014 at 2:46pm
I had a quick listen to the HD800 and HD700 at a hi-fi dealers using a Sennheiser headphone amp. I prefered the HD700, the HD800 to me just sounded a bit to clinical. I had to see what I was possibly missing compaired to my HD700 and Solo ULDE. I'm keeping my headphones and amp as they are.
Solo ULDE, CuSat50, Spatia Links
RichW View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote RichW Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Jun 2014 at 3:28pm
Thanks Gary.
'Clinical' seems to crop up quite often in descriptions of the 800's sound.

Majestic/Enigma, Accession MM & MC.
morris_minor View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote morris_minor Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Jun 2014 at 5:28pm
I tried the 800 at the recent GSP Roadshow and was pretty underwhelmed TBH. "Clinical" is just the word I'd use too. After my LCD-2s they sounded undernourished, though everything was obviously there. I reckon I'd find them fatiguing for any length of time. (Apologies to any 800 fans!)
Bob

Majestic DAC/pre-amp
Accession MC/Enigma, Accession MM, Reflex M, Elevator EXP, Era Gold V
Solo ULDE, Novo, Lautus USB and digital, Libran balanced, CuSat50
2 x Proprius + Spatia/Spatia Links
msphil View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote msphil Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Jun 2014 at 6:18pm
Originally posted by morris_minor morris_minor wrote:

I tried the 800 at the recent GSP Roadshow and was pretty underwhelmed TBH. "Clinical" is just the word I'd use too. After my LCD-2s they sounded undernourished, though everything was obviously there. I reckon I'd find them fatiguing for any length of time. (Apologies to any 800 fans!)

Couldn't agree more Bob. I didn't find them anywhere near as musical as I had expected. I much preferred my Grado PS 1000's and your LCD–2’s. I think they could be very wearing over time.

'You are, through your soul not your body, a human being.'
Drewan77 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Drewan77 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Jun 2014 at 8:15pm
I guess we all have different tastes - at the Roadshow I was rather impressed by the HD800s, finding them neutral rather than clinical. They seemed quite airy and open sounding with delicate imaging and a wide soundstage. Bass was very clean but had depth when present on recordings I am familiar with. They also handled transients well and this is probably why I liked them, preferring a fast, live sounding performance, free of colouration rather like my main open baffle speaker system. For me, listening to music is totally immersive and the 'performance' needs to catch me. I do totally understand why others might find this tiring of course Shocked

The LCD2s reminded me somewhat of the HD650s with a thicker sound, pleasing but... sightly coloured and less 'airy'. Maybe I should have listened for longer?

Older than I once was, younger than I'll be
Andrew
Ash View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ash Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Jun 2014 at 8:38pm
Mhmm, not sure if I should say anything... LOL If I do, I'm bound to upset at least one person. LOL
We do not see things as they are. We see things as we are.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 5>
  Share Topic