FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Welcome to the Graham Slee Audio Products Owners Forum

Open to all owners plus those contemplating the purchase of a Graham Slee HiFi System Components audio product and wishing to use this forum's loaner program: join here (Rules on posting can be found here)

This website along with trade marks Graham Slee and HiFi System Components are owned by Cadman Enterprises Ltd

Audiomods Series 5 arm

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 7891011 13>
Author
Sturgus View Drop Down
Regular
Regular

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sturgus Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Mar 2018 at 6:02am
Sweet!!!  How do you like the Dynavector on that arm?
Musical Design pre/Dac/Phono Amps Aronov
VPI HW-19 Lustre 801 /Koetsu-Rosewood /GS Elevator/Accension / LP12 Audiomods-Nagoka500 Merlin VSM speakers Dalhquist subs
Pioneer pd-75/ squeezebox
Richardl60 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Richardl60 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Aug 2019 at 9:55pm
Jeff has now released a Series 6..........

Edited by Richardl60 - 16 Aug 2019 at 9:55pm
Drewan77 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Drewan77 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Aug 2019 at 10:20pm
Originally posted by Richardl60 Richardl60 wrote:

Jeff has now released a Series 6..........
Yes, I upgraded my series 5 to series 6 a few weeks ago. 

After 5 years of heavy use I wanted to get the bearings checked & given that the new arm has additional features that are important to me (especially azimuth adjustment), I paid the £200 to swap it over.

It is a very substantial change from the former model, midrange is very much more 'sophisticated' than before, almost as if there was some sort of colouration or smearing I hadn't been aware of (I've played thousands of hours on the series 5 since 2014 so I knew exactly what to expect). The 6 sounds ultra clean, smooth & absolutely uncoloured which subjectively at first made me think that bass had reduced because the midrange sounded so different & I was focusing on that (....needed to play several tracks against both my Technics 1200G and digital versions to check this out and bass is not lacking at all).

What there is though is a very light and delicate 'sophisticated' (again) overall sound to midrange/treble. A VERY analogue sound, more than the 1200G which incidentally I also like VERY much.

One other aspect that jumps out is the ability to 'see/hear' deeper into the soundstage - as an example, when playing 'Never Make Me Cry' from Fleetwood Mac - Tusk, the bass reverberates in a cavernous space in a very believable and quite spooky way (even more so than when I played back to back with the Technics/same cartridge/same Accession even though this turntable used to emphasise the effect more than the former Audiomods 5).

All in all and in my system, definitely a positive upgrade, especially for the relatively small upgrade fee.

(...by the way, I recall that Graham had some reservations about non-metallic arm tubes - sometimes being susceptible to RFI or other HF interference so I asked Jeff prior to purchase & he provided me with quite a lot of technical reassurance/data about the specific balanced-wiring & carbon fibre material used. In my system, at high volume/nothing playing there is no hum or extraneous RFI noise through the speakers so I am totally happy with this).
Older than I once was, younger than I'll be
Andrew

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Richardl60 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Aug 2019 at 7:28am
thanks Andrew.

Yes I have experienced the colourisation I hadn’t been aware of thing several times which is really nice with other upgrades (speaker rewire and TT power supply are two that spring to mind).

Yes I had wondered about the CF arm tube Jeff told me that the old acted as a faraday cage, as you say whatever the theory the ears tell you it works very well.

How was the set up and geometry with the new head shell?

Edited by Richardl60 - 17 Aug 2019 at 7:29am
Drewan77 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Drewan77 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Aug 2019 at 7:15pm
Originally posted by Richardl60 Richardl60 wrote:

How was the set up and geometry with the new head shell?

Very easy, a great feature & far easier than with a Rega fixed head shell. Installing a cartridge on the series 6 'sled' is a piece of cake & then aligning/offset via the single central bolt was certainly easier than with two fixings. Azimuth at the pivot collar end is adjustable & precise if needed.

I used an existing Mint protractor when setting up this arm. Firstly using a Dr Feickert & moving the arm slightly until it fell under the pivot-to-spindle measuring pin at the correct overhang distance (221.5mm in this instance based on an original 3-point fixing/Rega turntable which was fractionally out of spec) & then the locking collar underneath the arm was tightened to fix in place. The Mint protractor was made for me to Baerwald alignment so this is what I used.

Older than I once was, younger than I'll be
Andrew

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Richardl60 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Aug 2019 at 10:00pm
bit of a no brainer cost vs perf upgrade. Can't see whether a separate lead is an option by have emailed Jeff to see if my upgraded internal wiring could be switched.   Hmmmm series 6 or AMC first.....

Jeff tells me my wiring upgrade can be switched and as latest S5 £175!  Looking better all the time

Will get S6 and Acc MC at some stage just whenClap

Edited by Richardl60 - 18 Aug 2019 at 3:43pm
Fatmangolf View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Fatmangolf Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Aug 2019 at 2:49pm
That is a tantalising prospect. Either way I wish you very happy listening Richard.
Jon

Open mind and ears whilst owning GSP Genera, Accession M, Accession MC, Elevator EXP, Solo ULDE, Proprius amps, Cusat50 cables, Lautus digital cable, Spatia cables and links, and a Majestic DAC.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 7891011 13>
  Share Topic