FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Welcome to the Graham Slee Audio Products Owners Forum

Open to all owners plus those contemplating the purchase of a Graham Slee HiFi System Components audio product and wishing to use this forum's loaner program: join here (Rules on posting can be found here)

This website along with trade marks Graham Slee and HiFi System Components are owned by Cadman Enterprises Ltd

Audiomods Series 5 arm

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 89101112 13>
Author
Richardl60 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Richardl60 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Aug 2019 at 3:44pm
not tempted to trade your OL in now John?
Fatmangolf View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Fatmangolf Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Aug 2019 at 6:48pm
Maybe one day Richard. To be fair I had a AM V for about a week, £400 second hand, it was very good but I kept my OL Zephyr (which I had modified to allow azimuth adjustment) which is still on my SL1210/II and sounds very good on there. I then bought a SME series IV second hand and did an internal rewire with silver wire. That arm is on my number one deck, the Michell Gorbe, and is staying with me!

I like the AM VI's new headshell design, the slide for overhang and swivel for offset angle is good. It looks a little like another manufacturer's approach but includes adjustment for headshell (and tonearm effective) mass. Excellent owners manual too.

Just imagine a new tonearm and a preamp that together reveal the music that's been hidden on your records all this time. The AccMC and Enigma is a great combination.

Edited by Fatmangolf - 18 Aug 2019 at 7:01pm
Jon

Open mind and ears whilst owning GSP Genera, Accession M, Accession MC, Elevator EXP, Solo ULDE, Proprius amps, Cusat50 cables, Lautus digital cable, Spatia cables and links, and a Majestic DAC.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Richardl60 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Aug 2019 at 7:17pm
yes Jon, from Andrews great narrative I did bring back memories of the AMC you loaned me and I certainly do miss. Excellent match I think.

pitty Graham can't upgrade the AMM like Jeff cam with his arms .

Fatmangolf View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Fatmangolf Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Aug 2019 at 8:20pm
Have you asked Graham if it is possible to upgrade an AccM to AccMC?
Jon

Open mind and ears whilst owning GSP Genera, Accession M, Accession MC, Elevator EXP, Solo ULDE, Proprius amps, Cusat50 cables, Lautus digital cable, Spatia cables and links, and a Majestic DAC.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Richardl60 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Aug 2019 at 9:04pm
no but suspect it could be done at a cost and imagine that there wouldn't be much left but the case?  Maybe graham could clarify?

Edited by Richardl60 - 18 Aug 2019 at 9:06pm
RichW View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote RichW Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Sep 2019 at 8:07am
Originally posted by Drewan77 Drewan77 wrote:

Originally posted by Richardl60 Richardl60 wrote:

Jeff has now released a Series 6..........
Yes, I upgraded my series 5 to series 6 a few weeks ago. 

After 5 years of heavy use I wanted to get the bearings checked & given that the new arm has additional features that are important to me (especially azimuth adjustment), I paid the £200 to swap it over.

It is a very substantial change from the former model, midrange is very much more 'sophisticated' than before, almost as if there was some sort of colouration or smearing I hadn't been aware of (I've played thousands of hours on the series 5 since 2014 so I knew exactly what to expect). The 6 sounds ultra clean, smooth & absolutely uncoloured which subjectively at first made me think that bass had reduced because the midrange sounded so different & I was focusing on that (....needed to play several tracks against both my Technics 1200G and digital versions to check this out and bass is not lacking at all).

What there is though is a very light and delicate 'sophisticated' (again) overall sound to midrange/treble. A VERY analogue sound, more than the 1200G which incidentally I also like VERY much.

One other aspect that jumps out is the ability to 'see/hear' deeper into the soundstage - as an example, when playing 'Never Make Me Cry' from Fleetwood Mac - Tusk, the bass reverberates in a cavernous space in a very believable and quite spooky way (even more so than when I played back to back with the Technics/same cartridge/same Accession even though this turntable used to emphasise the effect more than the former Audiomods 5).

All in all and in my system, definitely a positive upgrade, especially for the relatively small upgrade fee.

(...by the way, I recall that Graham had some reservations about non-metallic arm tubes - sometimes being susceptible to RFI or other HF interference so I asked Jeff prior to purchase & he provided me with quite a lot of technical reassurance/data about the specific balanced-wiring & carbon fibre material used. In my system, at high volume/nothing playing there is no hum or extraneous RFI noise through the speakers so I am totally happy with this).
The new Series 6 looks very interesting, thanks for the description.
£200 to swap over from an older arm sounds very generous, do you know if Jeff has a trade-in 
arrangement for all of his older arms? 

Edited by RichW - 11 Sep 2019 at 8:18am
Majestic/Enigma, Accession MM & MC.
Drewan77 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Drewan77 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Sep 2019 at 8:38am
Originally posted by RichW RichW wrote:

The new Series 6 looks very interesting, thanks for the description.
£200 to swap over from an older arm sounds very generous, do you know if Jeff has a trade-in 
arrangement for all of his older arms? 
I'm not sure about that Rich because the mounting collar & arm platform, micrometer, arm lift, bearing housing etc were all carried over from the series 5.

Maybe some of this would apply to older versions & the upgrade cost would differ?

Jeff has always been very responsive when I've emailed or phoned so I suggest you contact him.
Older than I once was, younger than I'll be
Andrew
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 89101112 13>
  Share Topic