FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Welcome to the Graham Slee Audio Products Owners Forum

Open to all owners plus those contemplating the purchase of a Graham Slee HiFi System Components audio product and wishing to use this forum's loaner program: join here (Rules on posting can be found here)

This website along with trade marks Graham Slee and HiFi System Components are owned by Cadman Enterprises Ltd

Audiomods Series 5 arm

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 45678 13>
Author
Richardl60 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Richardl60 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Jan 2018 at 6:04pm
Thank you. I enquired about screened cable and Jeff advised that it wouldn’t be suitable (I think either due to drag at bearing end or diameter or both) and that the arm tube acts as a faraday cage and was suitably earthed at both ends.

I have gone for Kondo cabling internal which is said to be superior (in for a penny...).
Fatmangolf View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Fatmangolf Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Jan 2018 at 7:36pm
May I will wish you very happy listening in advance Richard. I had an AM Series V for a while and it was a very good arm indeed. Whilst it's not exactly the same as Kondo but is also silver wire not silver plated copper, I fitted the Audio Note silver litz wire inside my SME IV and it made quite a difference to the SME standard which was VDH I think.

Jon

Open mind and ears whilst owning GSP Genera, Accession M, Accession MC, Elevator EXP, Solo ULDE, Proprius amps, Cusat50 cables, Lautus digital cable, Spatia cables and links, and a Majestic DAC.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Richardl60 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Jan 2018 at 7:57pm
The vdh does come in for some critical comment so will see how the Audio Origami fares too!
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Fatmangolf Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Jan 2018 at 8:51pm
The 501 external cable was okay although I made a simple OFC lead I preferred. It's the internal wiring I swapped out so my AN silver wire goes from the mini-DIN TAC direct to the headshell clips.
Jon

Open mind and ears whilst owning GSP Genera, Accession M, Accession MC, Elevator EXP, Solo ULDE, Proprius amps, Cusat50 cables, Lautus digital cable, Spatia cables and links, and a Majestic DAC.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Richardl60 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Jan 2018 at 9:06pm
My Audiomods Series V arrived, is now mounted and set up.

Initially listened at a close relative who set it up for me, but now home and spinning a few discs.

Initially impressions are very positive.

Accepting it is fresh out of the box and will take time for th internal silver wire and cable to burn in and expect it to change over the coming weeks it is very pleasing.

Looks great and whilst it wasn’t apparently the easiest to set up it is very customisable with VTA, adjustable Mass etc.

First impressions are of a very clean, sweet, delicate and more detailed mid-upper and vocals. Quite a lot bigger, deeper, wider and more layered soundstage.

Bass a lot mor natural, more weighty and detailed, yes stops/starts better and seeimingly more tuneful and punchy.

Will update again another day and try again and post some photos.
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Fatmangolf Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Jan 2018 at 10:01pm
Thanks Richard.

Jon

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Richardl60 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Jan 2018 at 9:34pm
Bit more of an extended listen tonight. Everything I said last time remains the same but have the following further observations.

Big dynamics and holds together very well on complex passages, remaining clean, calm, sweet and unstressed.

Whole sound is very tight, not overdamped but very well controlled and deep bass when is there certainly comes out.

This possibly is demonstrated with a very fast sound too.

It is possible there is a touch more surface noise but certainly not bothersome.

Back to a thread which I haven’t seen for some time which Graham started re room resonances etc. There did appear times when at relatively high volumes (my deck is around 2 feet from my bass driver) I appeared to get not feedback but colouration in the bass and a modest hump on vinyl this again pretty much gone.

Recordings do such more live and airy too.

No idea how much the internal wiring or external upgrade are contributing but running wit( medium headhsell shim and counterweight

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 45678 13>
  Share Topic