FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Welcome to the Graham Slee Audio Products Owners Forum

Open to all owners plus those contemplating the purchase of a Graham Slee HiFi System Components audio product and wishing to use this forum's loaner program: join here (Rules on posting can be found here)

This website along with trade marks Graham Slee and HiFi System Components are owned by Cadman Enterprises Ltd

Audiomods Series 5 arm

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 23456 13>
Author
Drewan77 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Drewan77 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Feb 2017 at 8:02am
Originally posted by Paperweight Paperweight wrote:

Unusual 'turtle roadkill' turntable design Shocked
Older than I once was, younger than I'll be
Andrew
Paperweight View Drop Down
Regular
Regular

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Paperweight Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Feb 2017 at 1:09am
That's a picture of the designer's turntable with two armboards. Mine only has one. I added 2 sheets of Ultraperm 80 to help shield the cartridge from the emf around the motor. It works to some degree.

The Hagerman Frybaby arrived yesterday and I've been testing it out on various pieces of equipment. I've had my Reflex M since late 2011. It sat unpowered in the closet for 3 years since my turntable was out of commission. I only recently dug it back out and powered it up once again. With the new turntable and arm, I thought the last bit of bottom end was missing. I ran the Frybaby on the Reflex M for 5 hours and had a listen. Top to bottom it was all there again. The instructions say to use it for 24 hours which I plan to do. It's an interesting little gadget and it actually works.
Paperweight View Drop Down
Regular
Regular

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Paperweight Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Feb 2017 at 2:00am
A little more than a week later, I have everything burned in and setup. The silver tonearm cable took 4 days to burn in with the audio burn in signal generator. AT33PTG/II into an old Piccolo MC headamp kit I just got around to assembling, into the Reflex M then into the Solo ULDE into a pair of HD-650s. The cartridge sounds freakin awesome and it's the only thing that hasn't been worn in yet. I notice there is a lot less sibilance on certain passages. I aligned the cartridge to a Baerwald arc protractor and it went well. This is my first MC cartridge and it has been worth the investment.

The tonearm instructions suggested that the counterweight should be more towards the middle to the end of the stub for moving coil cartridges. I removed the center copper weight for a reduction of 16.5 grams from the counterweight to account for the lighter cartridge and screws. The counterweight is now sitting about 1cm from the end.

I'm hard pressed to determine what the arm contributes to the overall sound with so many additions thrown into the mix. I do know that whatever cartridge you mount on it, the arm will allow you to get everything out of it.
Richardl60 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Richardl60 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Feb 2017 at 6:52am
Any more pictures of the series v?
Fatmangolf View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Fatmangolf Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Feb 2017 at 7:36pm
Jealous as I had a second hand AM series 5 for a while but exchanged it for the Orbe upgrade platter. Finely made tonearm that sounded very natural to me.
Jon

Open mind and ears whilst owning GSP Genera, Accession M, Accession MC, Elevator EXP, Solo ULDE, Proprius amps, Cusat50 cables, Lautus digital cable, Spatia cables and links, and a Majestic DAC.
Richardl60 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Richardl60 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Feb 2017 at 9:09pm
How does the Series -v compare with your same would you say?
Fatmangolf View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Fatmangolf Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Feb 2017 at 9:32pm
I liked the OL Zephyr more with the Zyx R100 I had at the time. They were both very good arms, I remember the series 5 being very neutral. I already the OL but could take the AM5 back to get the Orbe platter upgrade so it was more practical than prosaic. I'm not sure I'd go the same way with the (2nd hand) Phoenix I have now.

I don't have an SME series V and time has passed with a change in my main cartridge so I can't compare the performance of the AM series 5 with SME series IV. FWIW I doubt anyone would regret buying either arm, good engineering with very musical results. 

Jon

Open mind and ears whilst owning GSP Genera, Accession M, Accession MC, Elevator EXP, Solo ULDE, Proprius amps, Cusat50 cables, Lautus digital cable, Spatia cables and links, and a Majestic DAC.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 23456 13>
  Share Topic